Virus infected PC's

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Post Reply
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Virus infected PC's

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

This story today from The Australian http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ca ... T_email_nl is suggesting a call to banish virus infected PC's from the internet, I've long held the opinion that the way Exetel handles virus infected computers by restricting their service is a good thing and about time something was put in place to get other ISP's to do the same

I can only hope it catches on and something is done to stop the rampant amounts of SPAM that originate mostly from people that have absolutely no idea they are causing it

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 pm

I agree, ignorance is absolutely no excuse. Exetel's procedures are simple and effective, a great example of how this problem should be addressed by other ISP's.

I've been asked by several people to have a look at their computers because they have problems. When I go to do the Windows Update for them, they say 'NO you can't do that it is a pirate copy of Windows. I just say well the reason your computer is so slow is that it is a zombie computer, I then tell them unless they get registered OS or I can't help them because they are just contributing to the ammount of SPAM out there.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

vk3xem wrote: I've been asked by several people to have a look at their computers because they have problems. When I go to do the Windows Update for them, they say 'NO you can't do that it is a pirate copy of Windows.
I notice the Microsoft recognised this issue and actually allow critical updates to be installed on pirate version, it's obvious how bad the problem actually is for them to do this

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm

vk3xem, you could do what I do - don't clean, just convert the computer to Ubuntu, Mint or one of the other absolutely free, very advanced systems that need no malware subscription, and update automatically. Few home computer users need the handful of apps that are bound to Redmond. Most home users aren't even aware there is an alternative. I once was talking to salesmen in a well known retail shop, and produced a bootable USB stick with Mint on board from my pocket. None of them had heard of it until then, but did it perform on one of their low end laptops, and the stick had the full range of apps on board, far more than was preinstalled on any of the shop stock.

One day Redmond will bite the bullet and bring out a system that is not backward compatible. It will be very familiar to Mac and Linux users.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:07 pm

I've played with Ubuntu and crashed it numerous times and not been able to restore it's GUI.

I agree it probably would be a better option for most users but they don't want to give up their pirate version of Windows and straight out refuse to do any updates because they have been told Microsoft will find out!

That is why, as per this thread the best way is for ISP's to block virus infected computers and force these ignorant users to change one one way or the other.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Dazzled wrote:vk3xem, you could do what I do - don't clean, just convert the computer to Ubuntu, Mint or one of the other absolutely free, very advanced systems that need no malware subscription, and update automatically.
I've changed a few people over to Mint as I just got tired of cleaning out their Windows PC's only to have them get infected again straight away
vk3xem wrote:
That is why, as per this thread the best way is for ISP's to block virus infected computers and force these ignorant users to change one one way or the other.
Absolutely, hopefully other ISP's will take to the idea and help to reduce the ridiculous waste of bandwidth that this causes

Mixer
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Sydney - Randwick

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by Mixer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

jokiin wrote:... the way Exetel handles virus infected computers by restricting their service is a good thing and about time something was put in place to get other ISP's to do the same...
Yes Exetel's Virus block system is great to see. Other providers must do the same.
I would take the concept further and push for all Windows based systems sold to have a mandatory prepaid virus package included.
The apps I use force me to run on XP, but a real copy with virus/security suite paid for.
For those who want a no cost solution then Ubuntu et al are the go.
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Mixer, I have one Windows box set up for CADS, with no virus checker on board, though there are some things running that can detect system fiddling. It is normally disconnected from the network, and never goes online except via a Linux machine which passes on scanned data files only. It cannot browse or direct up/download. The malware menace will not go away until Microsoft brings out a secure OS without a registry anyone can alter, or the ability to operate in root; and drops backward compatibility with everything up to and including W7. In the meantime it would be better if unskilled users simply discarded the OS, starting with schools. You don't see Apples in schools much any more, and the NSW government was recently persuaded to ignore Linux.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by vk3xem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Microsoft have released a FREE Anti Virus solution and it works very well. Microsft Security Essentials.

But Anti Virus on a Windows box is only part of the solution, Microsft Updates are improtant also!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

vk3xem wrote:Microsoft have released a FREE Anti Virus solution and it works very well. Microsft Security Essentials.

But Anti Virus on a Windows box is only part of the solution, Microsft Updates are improtant also!

common sense goes a long way too, I'm constantly amazed at how often people I know get infected, clean everything up and get infected again within hours, old browsing habits die hard for some people

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Virus infected PC's

Post by Gidget » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:00 pm

jokiin wrote:
vk3xem wrote:Microsoft have released a FREE Anti Virus solution and it works very well. Microsft Security Essentials.

But Anti Virus on a Windows box is only part of the solution, Microsft Updates are improtant also!
common sense goes a long way too, I'm constantly amazed at how often people I know get infected, clean everything up and get infected again within hours, old browsing habits die hard for some people
I've found that if you charge them (doesn't have to be much) every time you waste hours cleaning up their system they eventually get the message :lol:

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Post Reply