Why the internet (e.g. Whirlpool) can harm your reputation

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
layzee

Why the internet (e.g. Whirlpool) can harm your reputation

Post by layzee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 am

Be nice to your clients or you may suffer the consequences on forums such as Whirlpool, with complaints often appearing high on Google search results' front page.

The complaint is highly visible because of its intensity and internal replication (Whirlpool hosts other threads critical of Mr Gadget) combined with interlinking to external complaints about the firm.
http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/wh ... -n79s.html

Or in Exetel's case, cease or avoid communicating with them (customers and non-customers) via 3rd party forums in the first place (apart from the Ticket-finder guy). Other people are following Exetel's precedent in this regard:
Why have we made this choice?

Several years ago the Whirlpool forums were known as “The number one forum in Australia” where companies could communicate and interact with both with customers and IT professionals.

However, given the communities drastic decline in quality contributors, the abuse and the targeted slanderous comments, we have no choice but to remove our presence from whirlpool.

A vocal minority of Whirlpool members seem to believe it’s perfectly fine to jump up and down in order to get what they want by using the Whirlpool forums, and as the moderation and admin team condone this behavior we have no choice, but to no longer answer any Warcom related questions at all on the Whirlpool forums.
In general, what do people think about businesses and their customers communicating via 3rd party forums?

To what extent does Exetel share Warcom's sentiments?

Do people here think that Exetel has more to lose than to gain by having an active presence on the Whirlpool (or any other) forums? Or vice versa?

Finally, here's some related reading material for your entertainment:

Whrlpool Moron Of The Week - 13
Whirlpool Moron Of The Week 12
Nonsensical Moron #11
Nonsensical Moron #10
Nonsensical Moron #9
Whirlpool Nonsense 8
Whirlpool Nonsense (7)
Whirlpool Nonsense (6)
Nonsensical Moron #5
Nonsensical Moron #4
Nonsensical Moron #3
Whirlpool Moron Of The Week (2)
Whirpool Moron Of The Week 1

Note: Post will be edited later to include the missing morons (if anyone else can find them).

Ravenous

Re: Why the internet (e.g. Whirlpool) can harm your reputation

Post by Ravenous » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:03 am

The way exetel handles WP is great, identify and communicate with legit complainants that require assistance privately.

Problem is I have come across a couple of ocassions now of misinformation on forums that have had advice given to a customer lead to trouble with their exetel relationship as it was not (or not yet) the official exetel position. There are ways that Exetel can lose from 3rd party even their own forums.

However, my overall feeling is that Exetel gets a net-gain because good customers become active participants who can influence and help shape Exetel for the better. Well it increases my satisfaction as a customer anyway.

fredbucket

Post by fredbucket » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am

FA will be able to confirm that the biggest !@#$fights on Whirlpool have in fact resulted in substantial gains in new users for Exetel - as exampled here http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p227645

Regards
Fred

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Exetel's position regarding Whirlpool is:

1) Play no part in it for the past four years or so.

2) Appointed one person some six plus months ago to address what may be a legitimate complaint a real user has chosen to post there rather than the multiple other resources available for problem resolution

3) Make no other comment other than to ask for the ticket number relating to the complaint.

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:50 pm

I think Exetel have more to gain by being active on whirlpool rather than not being a part of it. Look at Internode and iiNet for example - obviously Whirlpool would be a huge positive influence on their business.

Obviously Exetel have their own reasons for having their policies in place that they do, I just can't see why theoretically they couldn't have as successful a relationship with the Whirlpool community as other ISPs.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 am

Peleus wrote:I think Exetel have more to gain by being active on whirlpool rather than not being a part of it..
I feel the opposite. Whirlpool was once an OK forum, but has gone way off the rails with little or no real moderation happening.
Basically it has become a slang match between those who love Exetel and those who hate it, and some poor soles have followed advice from that forum at their own peril. Whirlpool is a bit like an over active nephew who is seeking attention...the best thing to do is ignore it and wait until it grows up or goes away.
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:12 pm

What, and Internode and iiNet are doing it under somehow different moderation guidelines? Whirlpool and it's moderation is not the problem I'm afraid.