>> Service Line Speed: 1500/256
>> Service Activation Date: 2005-07-08
>> Contract Period: 6 Months
>> Initial Contract End Date: 2006-01-08
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> My new plan (same speed more gyb 6 to 12)
>>
>> FP-C1 $10.00 $50.00 12 gbytes No Charge
>>
>>
>> I have kept within the same speed so the $10 does not apply. When I went
>> back to "change plans/service" I note my ability to change speed is
>> now $10 and not $25 - so when things become clear I will change speed
>> down.
>>extra of a conversation between two exetel patients.
>> I also plan to go back on dial up with another ISP as I make preparation
>> to change from Exetel. Right now the Telstra wireless ISP on next G
>> allows
>> you to carry over unused gyb if you replentish before time is up.
>>
>> I will keep an eye on telstra next G to see if over the next 6 months
>> they
>> start thinking about customers.
>>
>> It looks like exetel might think and act more like telstra in future
>> hence
>> my prepartation to exit over the next few months - winter is a good time
>> to
>> have good ISP broadband access. But I am determined to cut costs as my
>> pension value goes down.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: to stay or not to stay that is the question

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm

!!?

If I've understood your post correctly, you are saying that Telstra services are better value than Exetel services? I (and many others I'm sure) completely disagree with you on that point. Telstra have a monopoly on ADSL1 service. This monopoly affects the price of Exetel leasing ports from Telstra and the increased costs have to get passed on to end users. So if you care to blame anyone, you should be blaming the very company you seem to be endorsing: Telstra.

You also seem to imply that Exetel are somehow in the same basket as Telstra: greedy and monopolistic. This is another grossly mis-informed opinion as Exetel have repeatedly stated that they make only around $1-2 profit per service per month.

I know many people who have posted vitriol like yours in the past, and a high proportion of them return to Exetel eating humble pie and admitted they were wrong. Perhaps once you've come to your senses, you'll return. Perhaps not. No big loss by the sound of it...
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 pm

eandre wrote:Right now the Telstra wireless ISP on next G
>> allows
>> you to carry over unused gyb if you replentish before time is up.
you need to look into this more closely if this is what you are thinking about, there's a trap to their rollover involving your recharge and the value given in relation to recharge dollar amount, it's not quite as attractive as it seems at face value, I suspect quite a few people are going to get caught out on this one and wonder why their credit is disappearing so quickly

eandre

Post by eandre » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 am

Is Exetel getting like telstra? - I have this an uneasy feeling about Extel some of the ploys that are used - like giving me more gyb as freebee where I do not use my current allotment is rather menaingless - maybe the 50,000 ? other exetel memebrs who use less than 3 gyb per month might also feel the same way - I would rather you get rid of the $3 direct debit/ credit card charge than have exetel give me meaningless extra gyb that I will never use. I just cannot see how that $3 charge is justified.

The extra $5 hit for migrating from old to current plans was blow to me - my rural telephone exchange will not upgrade to ADSL2 -so I can not see any benefit in the change to me - but I do recognize other end benefits did come with the migration to current plans - but as my profile over many years says I never get to a point where these "benefits" will be used.

Creating uneasy feeling is not good marketing - and I do understand the basic principles , three things create the motivation to change - a feeling that things are not right, behaviours that are not right, and lastly reasoning that are not right.

Exetel at least seems to understand this and migration within exetel plans are possible to get a better fit. It is time perhaps a pensioner/senior plan was given a bit of thought - after all we are now coming thorugh in a massive way.

I also know Telstra marketing is not to be trusted - I did trial test them out and found them to be severly wanting - but I am hoping that with the three amigos gone a cultural change to valuing customers rather than exploiting them will happen.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 am

Exetel ADSL may no longer be suitable for you due to cost increases. If you can get HSPA coverage then that might be a better choice now if you want to stick with them; or else it might be time to explore other options :(

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 am

eandre wrote:like giving me more gyb as freebee where I do not use my current allotment is rather menaingless
The pricing of the current ADSL (particular the 8Mbps plans) is unavoidable. There is a minimum cost to leasing the port from Telstra so Exetel cannot afford to offer low usage ADSL1 plans
eandre wrote:I would rather you get rid of the $3 direct debit/ credit card charge than have exetel give me meaningless extra gyb that I will never use. I just cannot see how that $3 charge is justified.
The $3 administration charge (it is not a credit card / debit charge) has been removed for a long time now. All new plans (the NF and the FP) have this administration fee removed.
eandre wrote:It is time perhaps a pensioner/senior plan was given a bit of thought - after all we are now coming thorugh in a massive way.
My understanding is that Telstra's costings makes such a plan non-viable
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

eandre

Post by eandre » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:44 am

The pricing of the current ADSL (particular the 8Mbps plans) is unavoidable. There is a minimum cost to leasing the port from Telstra so Exetel cannot afford to offer low usage ADSL1 plans

hey I checked the web using various google variations and could not find any reference to Telstra increasing the cost of ADSL lines - when did that happen and what was the % rise.

If half of exetel customers ( you said in a newsletter some 50000 of us) use less than 3 gyb permonth does that mean half your customers are on low usage ADSL 1 Plans - after the forced migration occurs how many are expected to be on low usage ADSL 1 Plans - should be none is that right? Does that then mean us 50,000 will no longer be a drag on Exetel bottom line.

Dial up for SOME of my internet needs looks quite attractive when seniors card is taken into account. It would force a disciplin on me about surfing and may be that is not a bad thing - too much excess encourages bad habbits -don,t you think.

I wonder how many of us the " 50,000 exetel members who are drag on the exetel bottom line" are like me - we know how to count the pennies

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 am

eandre wrote:hey I checked the web using various google variations and could not find any reference to Telstra increasing the cost of ADSL lines - when did that happen and what was the % rise.
Don't think you'll find any direct reference to Telstra costings, but John Linton's blog is a treasure trove of insights into the running of Exetel:
http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index.php?/archives/3778-What-Will-Telstra-Do-Now.........html wrote:As far as we could see, Telstra hasn't yet addressed the fact that it's ADSL services are priced well above even the most expensive of all other providers and, except where it has ADSL2 exchanges where other suppliers don't (largely in less densely populated areas) no-one in their right mind would pass over the much wider and much lower cost ADSL2 plans offered by other providers wherever there is a choice.
http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index.php?/archives/3907-Plus-Ca-Change,-Plus-Cest-La-Meme-Chose.html wrote:Our major problem is the actual port monthly rental costs and the cost of the port provider's bandwidth cost between the customer exchanges and our POIs. It is absolutely unfathomable for me to understand that we we now buy IP at a slightly cost than the carrier's charge us for back haul from their exchanges. At today's IP rates of sub $A70.00 for IP and falling towards $A50.00 we will soon be paying 20/30% less to get data from the other side of the world than we do for data from 2 kms away.These costs remain disproportionately high and mean that even at a notional $A1.00 per month profit it is difficult to keep the costs of providing ADSL services to residential customers above break even without the constant 'micro-management' that sometimes annoys some percentage of current customers at any given time