NBN and Exetel

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
PatrickT

NBN and Exetel

Post by PatrickT » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I note the following media release today from Internode and wonder if Exetel plans on getting in early on the Tasmanian fibre network?
Fibre rollout extended to Tasmania with NBN
15-03-2010

Internode today welcomed the official opening of the NBN 'Proof of Concept' test centre in Tasmania. The Centre allows Internode and other ISP's to test their services in a working fibre optic environment prior to the network launch.

Internode FibreInternode is one of three retail service providers (edit - Tastel Community Telco and BBW Telecom are the other two IPSs ALREADY using the existing Hobart section of the fibre network) who will deliver broadband and telephone services over a fibre-optic network being built by NBNCo in Tasmania. These commercial services are expected to be available in the second half of this year.

Internode took the initiative to engage with delivery of NBN Tasmania Stage 1 in order to extend its experience in providing Fibre to the Home services at 'greenfields' residential developments in SA, NSW, Victoria and Queensland.

Product manager Jim Kellett said Internode's involvement with the NBNCo proof-of-concept centre demonstrated its commitment to the National Broadband Network (NBN). "Without a doubt, fibre is a key component in the future for broadband," he said.

"We're pleased to participate in this important technical initiative to test the performance and integration of retail broadband services over an NBN-deployed fibre-optic infrastructure. We are especially glad to take part in this trial in Tasmania, which is an historically strong market for Internode."

Internode is Australia's largest privately owned broadband service provider, with more than 450 employees nationally supporting some 180,000 broadband customers throughout the country.

The company has a strong record of delivering broadband services in Tasmania. After its home state of South Australia, Tasmania is the State that has delivered Internode's next highest market share.

As well as delivering broadband services throughout Tasmania via wholesale partnerships, Internode is currently making a major investment to install its own DSLAM equipment. Once complete in the next few months, this will be able to deliver Internode's own high speed ADSL2+ services to more than 90,000 Tasmanian premises - including 12,000 businesses.

Internode has an unrivalled track record of Internet innovation in Australia including:

* Delivering the first ADSL2+ services in Australia in 2005
* Launching Australia's first region-wide WiMAX wireless network, across Yorke Peninsula, in 2008
* Offering Fibre To The Home services with wholesale partner Opticomm from early 2009

Mr. Kellett said that commitment to innovation meant Internode was fully onboard with the next generation of broadband technologies- based on the National Broadband Network. "This network goes beyond traditional broadband to open up new opportunities for Australians," he said.

"As well as ultra-fast web access, it will enable enhanced audio and video communication and collaboration; new forms of entertainment such as video-on-demand; remote health, education, telecommuting and much more. We are very pleased to be involved with the NBN from its inception."

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: NBN and Exetel

Post by jokiin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm

PatrickT wrote:I note the following media release today from Internode and wonder if Exetel plans on getting in early on the Tasmanian fibre network?
I would be surprised if they did, from what I've seen it seems it is extremely expensive and I doubt they could deliver a cost effective plan, who knows what's around the corner though

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 am

We are applying for it and would like to offer it if it is financially sensible for the end user.

Similarly we will talk with Telstra about their 'green fields' fibre infrastuructures.

While I, personally, doubt that NBNCo will ever 'get off the ground' due to financial and other issues, Exetel will always look at infrastructures that may become available to it.

felix

Post by felix » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 am

Here's the article from The Mercury, Hobart
Attachments
NBN.jpg
NBN.jpg (169.17 KiB) Viewed 6091 times

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you for that Felix.

If those prices are correct, even if they are inc GST, then it's going to be a pretty hard sell.

sedaai

Post by sedaai » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Thank you for that Felix.

If those prices are correct, even if they are inc GST, then it's going to be a pretty hard sell.
I couldn't bring myself to spend $169.90 p/m for 100MB broadband with a mere 100GB of d/l's & VoIP and I am sure that I am not alone in that respect.

I am curious to know what the wholesale costs are.

felix

Post by felix » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm

iiNet plan: Naked Home 1, 5GB + 5GB, ADSL2+ speeds, $49.95

http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

So the cost of renting a NBN2 fibre link must be the same as rental of a Naked DSL copper link.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I can see the advert now..

For only $49.95 with TNBN you get a HUGE MASSIVE GODZILLA 5GB peak... you could stream one whole HD movie!!!1111!! at super-fast 25 Mbps speeds. Imagine the possibilities you could acheive with all this VALUE!

Fine print --> We will crush your net speeds until you pay us another $49.95 for an extra 5 GB peak should you require it.

What a crock. They propose to build this so-called amazing network. However, to access at a reasonable cost to the common consumer it is crippled beyond belief.

Wireless HSPA/LTE is looking like a much better and better option as I continue to digest the NBN2.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

They have no hope of getting my business, Exetel have no need to worry about losing customers at those prices!

PatrickT

Post by PatrickT » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 am

sedaai wrote:

I couldn't bring myself to spend $169.90 p/m for 100MB broadband with a mere 100GB of d/l's & VoIP and I am sure that I am not alone in that respect.

I am curious to know what the wholesale costs are.
I already bring myself to pay Exetel $90 a month for 88gb at less than one 20th of that speed on a good day, so is this early indicator really so expensive compared to the current outrageously priced options that Tasmanians currently have?

I think many Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth customers get too cosy with their 100gb+ ADSL2 connections for $50 a month without understanding that the rest of us don't have it anywhere near as good!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 am

PatrickT wrote:
I already bring myself to pay Exetel $90 a month for 88gb at less than one 20th of that speed on a good day, so is this early indicator really so expensive compared to the current outrageously priced options that Tasmanians currently have?
The published iinet price for 90 gb downloads is $159.95 - a fair bit more than $90.00.

PatrickT

Post by PatrickT » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 am

Ravenous wrote:Wireless HSPA/LTE is looking like a much better and better option as I continue to digest the NBN2.
Optus can barely provide a reliable 3G signal in the Hobart CBD, let alone more than 30 minutes out from the GPO, and aside from Telstra, Optus is the only wireless network operator down here.

PatrickT

Post by PatrickT » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
PatrickT wrote:
The published iinet price for 90 gb downloads is $159.95 - a fair bit more than $90.00.
But you will accept the latter part of my comment that what's currently available to Tasmanians is far more expensive than what's available in Sydney, making these prices seem less expensive from a Tasmanian point of view?

The closest current Exetel ADSL2 plan to the $90 TELO (36gb peak / 52gb off peak) plan that I am on now is this $45 a month ADSL2 plan:

Z/22BYO Line with 30 gbytes + $0.50/GB thereafter / 60 gbytes + $0.50/GB thereafter.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 am

PatrickT wrote:
But you will accept the latter part of my comment that what's currently available to Tasmanians is far more expensive than what's available in Sydney, making these prices seem less expensive from a Tasmanian point of view?

The closest current Exetel ADSL2 plan to the $90 TELO (36gb peak / 52gb off peak) plan that I am on now is this $45 a month ADSL2 plan:

Z/22BYO Line with 30 gbytes + $0.50/GB thereafter / 60 gbytes + $0.50/GB thereafter.
Telstra charge Exetel two and a half times more for an ADSL1/8192/384 port than Optus or AAPT do for a 20mbps/900 kbps ADSL2 port.

That's the difference.

Col

Post by Col » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Forget about the 100Mbps speed port for now. It would be as cost prohibitive to many residential customers as the 8192 ADSL1 port price has been, meaning if Exetel does decide to make these fibre plans available then there most likely wont be a huge range of 100Mbps plans for residential customers to choose from like it is for 8192 ADSL1 at the moment (though I realise that the price of the port isn't the only reason why Exetel isn't giving more 8192 options).

Looking at iiNet's pricing it looks like the 25Mbps port price is going to be cheaper than the 8192 port price, and the 50Mbps port price might be around the same as 8192 or a bit more. So Exetel might be able to come up with a slightly cheaper and faster alternative to 8192 ADSL1 for those that can't get cheap ADSL2+.

@PatrickT: Considered switching to Z/8192 for $90 and get 100GB instead of 88GB?