No limit = Unlimited

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
G-Box

Re: No limit = Unlimited

Post by G-Box » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Just to contribute to the Whirlpool user doing 140GB.

Someone noticed one of his previous posts which indicated he downloaded 250GB in off peak when the limit was 3x the average (roughly 89GB iirc) On the 'Uncharged off-peak'

WP user [i]poinkoip[/i] claims to have been kicked for downloading 140GB this month in UNLIMITED offpeak time..... However he failed to mention he had abused the previous 89gb per month off peak allowance:
[i][u]March 27[/u] "I've downloaded 250gb the last two months and they haven't kicked me yet, but who knows, if too many people start doing it they might start cracking down on it."[/i]

I've downloaded 150GB this month in off-peak & plan to download a little more in off-peak. However that won't be the norm for upcoming months & I'm guessing this would be acceptable according to the unlimited nature of the plans & given it's the first month. If exetel staff could please comment that would be appreciated. Also when I changed plans it stated a new 12 month contract applies. In user facilities this does not reflect that....?

Appreciate your help Corey. An official word from Exetel staff would help clear up some uncertainties.

Thanks

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Tazz wrote:is there any way for us to find out what the uncharged soft limit is each month? so we have a guide to go by...
Not sure.

Because if this amount is shown in the user facilities, people will mistakenly think the soft limit applies to "No limit" plans, which it doesn't. My understanding is that you can download unlimited amounts on the "No limit". I am only stating the risk of termination of contract because it would make sense to apply such discretion to serial download abusers.

It is more a matter of curbing your downloads yourself but you are welcome to return to the forums, every month, and make a request for the current "No charge" soft limit. I can easily make the topic a sticky within the relevant forum and posts can be appended to it each month if you like
Yes please a sticky, I'm on the FP-C3 plan and would like to know at the start of each month what the soft limit is for the 'uncharged' plans so I have a guide to go by.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Tazz wrote:Yes please a sticky, I'm on the FP-C3 plan and would like to know at the start of each month what the soft limit is for the 'uncharged' plans so I have a guide to go by.
See the newly created http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=219&t=35865
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Tazz wrote:Yes please a sticky, I'm on the FP-C3 plan and would like to know at the start of each month what the soft limit is for the 'uncharged' plans so I have a guide to go by.
See the newly created http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=219&t=35865
Thank you...

David R

Post by David R » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

cdonges wrote:There are also a lot of plans with 'unlimited' off peak.

For example:

FP-C3 $70, 60GB Peak + 192GB Off Peak (12/7) = 252GB
Except that Exetel's Peak and Off Peaks are aimed at being 'balanced'. Desirably, nowadays,it fluctuates around 5Gbps-level with some minor "+/- 1"Gbps variation every 24 hours.

Your $70/252GB example is not fair to the "$110.00/384GB FP-CU user" who covers 'whatever his usage is pm' and ensures the network remains balanced.

I'm on a grandfathered TL-C3 for $65 =60GB+ pm for instance...
but why should I get (252/384)= 2/3rds of this other "384GB customer" when I actually only cover 1/3 his amount for data...When you ' strip away' the base costs of 1.5mbps (=$50) the difference becomes very stark, that I'm paying just $15-$20 for data while "-CU" contributes $60-plus.

Surely the $65 I'm on is not adequate cover for "*pure* Off peak/unlimted" - so I can be issued a notice of commercial decision any time my combined periods go much above I'll say about 150GB data-to-200GB/mo - in which case I need consider whether my "pseudo unlimited plan" is really rational or represents a fool's paradise.
Last edited by David R on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

G-Box wrote:I may have been wrong. If he was previously on an unlimited plan I don't know. Didn't know if there were unlimited plans prior to this month.
Either way, he admits to download 250Gb in consecutive months(here) and was about to repeat the offence a third time (here). This does put serial high downloaders on notice and suggests that 750GB over three months is considered unreasonable (and I agree with this assessment too).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 pm

That's fine. They should just price plans at a reasonable rate for a fixed amount of data and forget all this 'unlimited unless you use too much then we reserve the right to cancel your account' rubbish.

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 pm

This is getting confusing. "No limit = Unlimited" is supposed to be unequivocal.

G-Box

Post by G-Box » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:11 pm

[quote="CoreyPlover"][quote="G-Box"]I may have been wrong. If he was previously on an unlimited plan I don't know. Didn't know if there were unlimited plans prior to this month.[/quote]
Either way, he admits to download 250Gb in consecutive months([url=http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r23236407]here[/url]) and was about to repeat the offence a third time ([url=http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 1424449#r1]here[/url]). This does put serial high downloaders on notice and suggests that 750GB over three months is considered unreasonable (and I agree with this assessment too).[/quote]

Could you please ask exetel staff to answer this question?
While everyone is entitled to their opinion, using a certain amount on an unlimited plan and being labelled 'unreasonable' is very confusing.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate some very, very clear information as to what is deemed acceptable. The term unlimited may as well be removed if his download amount is deemed unreasonable as it's clearly not unlimited.

I'd prefer to switch to the 50gb peak 50gb off peak for a higher cost with excess being 50cents in both periods then have to be concerned about being kicked for using 'too much' of an unlimited plan.

Really, really appreciate some solid info. : - )

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

The only conditions that apply to Exetel's plans are stated in the terms and conditions.

Nothing more/nothing less.

Thread closed.