No limit = Unlimited

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
jubba

Re: No limit = Unlimited

Post by jubba » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:28 pm

if they said limit of xxxgb then it would no longer be unlimited.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I am so confused with all these posts. It *really* is quite simple and I have no idea why people insist on complicating it.

* There are no download limits on "no limit" plans
* Exetel have ALWAYS had the discretion to terminate services, unlimited plans are no exception.

There is no deception here, just common sense. I will concede that the end result might appear as though it is a case of "if you download too much you get booted" and therefore people are keen to know what Exetel's policy is, but this is just not the case (in fact, it is simply me stating that it is a possibility for users to be aware of: At no stage has there been an announcement by Exetel to this effect).

Reiterating: There is no "download limit" on "no limit" plan, there is simply a correlation between being a "massively high downloader" and being deemed an "abuser of Exetel's services" and therefore at risk of being shown the door. Simple, isn't it? If one more person asks "but what is the limit" I will lock this thread. Seriously people, learn a little common sense and become aware that the world does not exist for you to selfishly suck every last iota of entitlement just because it may be available for you to claim.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 pm

What Corey is trying to say is, you can download as much as you want provided you don't overdue it. The acceptance usage policy states that you shouldn't abuse the system.
Like for example download 1TB every single month as Corey stated. Don't download in one hit.
Although, its quite similar to that of the no limit = no charge.
Is that what you are trying to say Corey?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Your grammar is unclear at parts, but another approach to alleviate anxiety of users is that unless the unlimited offering changes the aggregate bandwidth usage patterns of existing users so much that bandwidth becomes insufficient, Exetel has no reason to boot anyone for excessive downloading. It is only if the group behaviour is so abusive that the whole arrangement becomes infeasible that your individual downloading habits may the target of close attention.

Bottom line: download ultra high amounts at your own risk. Download under 90GB and you should be fine. In between, it is rather grey so apply a little common sense.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 am

How is using what you are entitled to 'abuse'?

Do you buy a dozen eggs and then throw out 4 of them because you don't want to abuse the egg farmer?

If they can't do unlimited that's fine, All I want is honesty.

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 am

Looks like 140GB might be the limit:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1424449

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 am

cdonges wrote:How is using what you are entitled to 'abuse'?. Do you buy a dozen eggs and then throw out 4 of them because you don't want to abuse the egg farmer?
The egg analogy has been raised before. It is not comparable.

The comparison to "no limit" plans is if you bought "entry to a farm and unlimited access to eggs". If you then went in and selfishly collected all the eggs leaving none for anyone else, then this is "abuse of your entitlement". Exetel is a very community oriented ISP. If you cannot understand this concept perhaps Exetel is not the proper ISP for you. Go and see how "honest" other ISPs are, then come back and post your findings.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

cdonges wrote:Looks like 140GB might be the limit:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1424449
I wouldn't place absolute trust in Whirlpool posts, made in this instance by the alleged. They have a tendency to omit matters (and in fact, they themselves state that it is just speculation). Perhaps this person was a serial high downloader.

Also, 8Mbps plans are more expensive to operate than ADSL2+ plans so this might have weighed in on the decision.

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 am

As long as Exetel remains silent, rumors on whirlpool are the best I have to go by...

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Perhaps this person was a serial high downloader.
I do not consider 140GB a month on an 'unlimited' off peak plan a 'serial high downloader'. Do you?

ozblogger

Post by ozblogger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15 am

cdonges wrote: I do not consider 140GB a month on an 'unlimited' off peak plan a 'serial high downloader'. Do you?
Who knows how exetel terms someone "serial high downloader" ... but
140G in 14 days of the month ... might have put this guy really up in the downloaders' list
and maybe they're trying to get rid of "quota suckers" earlier on ? ... especially on the 8Mb plans

But yeah we'd love to know what sort of an avge. should we follow to be deemed "fair users" ? 5GB/day or less ?
speculation is all we can do ... until exetel officialy makes a comment

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am

cdonges wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:Perhaps this person was a serial high downloader.
I do not consider 140GB a month on an 'unlimited' off peak plan a 'serial high downloader'. Do you?
Actually, I do. But I'm not Exetel

Plus, as ozblogger says, 140GB in 14 days might be better compared to 300GB per month. Do you consider this to be a "serial high downloader"?

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 am

CoreyPlover wrote:I wouldn't place absolute trust in Whirlpool posts, made in this instance by the alleged.
My interpretation of 'unusual high usage' breach of T&C's whilst in contract, without liability to Exetel, would involve a 14-day suspension of service followed by a notice of cancellation of service, in that sequence. Which brings me to question whether the alleged's breach was for 'unusual high usage' or in fact another breach for something more sinister? That all said it is my unqualfied interpretation :?

David R

Post by David R » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 pm

As Far As I Know, Exetel, HAS some *purely unlimited* plans priced available for purchase-

1) $45.00 FP-AU 0.2MbPS=64GB's a-month 24/7
2)$50.00 FP-BU 0.4MbPS=128GB's a-month 24/7
3) $110.00 FP-CU 1.2MbPS=384GB's a-month 24/7

the rest are subject to "a commercial decision" as such.
*****enter at your peril******

/this is a comical thread.
ozblogger wrote: But yeah we'd love to know what sort of an avge. should we follow to be deemed "fair users" ? 5GB/day or less ?
speculation is all we can do ... until exetel officialy makes a comment
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

There are also a lot of plans with 'unlimited' off peak.

For example:

FP-C3 $70, 60GB Peak + 192GB Off Peak (12/7) = 252GB