Off Peak Period Change

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
vampyre

Off Peak Period Change

Post by vampyre » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm

I would have posted this in the other group, but you've locked the topic...

I just saw your new plans (someone posted on whirlpool) - can I ask why you didn't just offer existing unlimited users the option of a free change of plan?
I've read a lot of opinions on the off peak period change today, and many of your customers would be happy with an off peak cap set at a reasonable level.

For me, the 1500A or 1500B plan would be fine. I only ended up on the unlimited plan because the available plans evolved over time - I'm not a massively heavy user, and unlimited was not something I needed. A straight 30GB with no peak/offpeak would most likely suffice for my average usage, and the prices at that level are reasonable enough.

Maybe it's worth offering existing unlimited customers the option of either a) Reduced off peak hours or b) switching plans with no cost/contract changes.

And yes, I know it's only $10 to switch, but I must say that it seems a bit rough to charge when forcing someone to change plans.

Just my two cents...

ForumAdmin

Re: Off Peak Period Change

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

vampyre wrote:
And yes, I know it's only $10 to switch, but I must say that it seems a bit rough to charge when forcing someone to change plans.

Just my two cents...
Exetel has never, as far as I can remember, forced any customer to change plans.

The new ADSL1 plans aren't available to current users at the moment.

vampyre

Post by vampyre » Thu May 06, 2010 4:56 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
vampyre wrote:

Just my two cents...
Exetel has never, as far as I can remember, forced any customer to change plans.

The new ADSL plans aren't available to current users at the moment.
Perhaps a poor choice of words. I would suggest that many of your customers do feel pressure to change plans (or providers) however. I agree that you are not forcing them to change, but you seem to be making it very unattractive to stay on the current plan. If you can't sustain the unlimited plans, but you can sustain the new plans, surely it makes sense to offer existing users the change of plan? It might solve your problem, and the customers wouldn't be so upset.

This is a pretty big topic on whirlpool today, I would assume you are monitoring the forums? I am trying to be constructive - if the new plans are sustainable into the future, I would expect that you would have had a much better response from your existing customers if they had been offered the option to change or accept the new off peak hours.

For what it's worth - if I was a new customer and I checked on whirlpool first, there is no way I would sign up today. Personally, I've been with Exetel for some time and would like to stay. The service has been more than fair for the price, but the new off peak limits will inconvenience me and will force me to go elsewhere. That won't solve your problem, as I'm not a massive downloader anyway, and you lose a customer. Hardly the best solution I would have thought.

I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to see if there is a more thought-out offer. I would like to point out that most of the other providers are asking for contract periods, so once someone churns they won't be back in a hurry. I think that it would be in Exetel's best interest to listen to the complaints and come up with a better solution. You are fortunate enough to receive some constructive ideas both in these forums and on whirlpool, rather than just abuse. Ignoring these would seem self-defeating.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

vampyre wrote:
Perhaps a poor choice of words. I would suggest that many of your customers do feel pressure to change plans (or providers) however. I agree that you are not forcing them to change, but you seem to be making it very unattractive to stay on the current plan. If you can't sustain the unlimited plans, but you can sustain the new plans, surely it makes sense to offer existing users the change of plan? It might solve your problem, and the customers wouldn't be so upset.

This is a pretty big topic on whirlpool today, I would assume you are monitoring the forums? I am trying to be constructive - if the new plans are sustainable into the future, I would expect that you would have had a much better response from your existing customers if they had been offered the option to change or accept the new off peak hours.

For what it's worth - if I was a new customer and I checked on whirlpool first, there is no way I would sign up today. Personally, I've been with Exetel for some time and would like to stay. The service has been more than fair for the price, but the new off peak limits will inconvenience me and will force me to go elsewhere. That won't solve your problem, as I'm not a massive downloader anyway, and you lose a customer. Hardly the best solution I would have thought.

I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to see if there is a more thought-out offer. I would like to point out that most of the other providers are asking for contract periods, so once someone churns they won't be back in a hurry. I think that it would be in Exetel's best interest to listen to the complaints and come up with a better solution. You are fortunate enough to receive some constructive ideas both in these forums and on whirlpool, rather than just abuse. Ignoring these would seem self-defeating.
Thank you for your advice.

David R

Post by David R » Thu May 06, 2010 5:24 pm

My view, 18 hour peak is too much for an ISP (still) stacked so heavily, in slow 'ADSL1' products. Highly disconcerting to remove one's [Peak =2:00PM]/option 'reward' after so long; that I am sooo relieved you've recently seen the light- and will now only consider the measure a last resort (at least for existing customers) with changes put off till after winter.

Though it is your right, to govern as you like, 'Reasonable network management' should ONLY target usages at the high level, IMO.

My suggestion, you'd have shaping instituted properly such that, by Springtime youd supply:
'512K' @ a +50% to existing peak allowances; Peak- 12 or 2 PM onwards, plus...
1Mbps/Unlimited once your patrons bypass 1:1 ratio of 'Paid:Free' gbytes; then OffPeak remains either 12, /at worst 8hours
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 6:31 pm

David R wrote:
1)My view, 18 hour peak is too much for an ISP (
What a strange view of reality.

Apart from Dodo and Optus (who copied Exetel's first 12 hour 'off peak' time zone) what other ISP offers anything like 12 hours?

TPG has 6 and iinet has something I can't remember but not 12.

Telstra and Internode have none.

I think that sometimes people just don't realise how well they have been treated.

By the way - what happened to your old avatar?

bandario

Post by bandario » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 pm

It would appear that I have replied to a thread which has been deleted. The information below still stands but will look a lot like I am talking to myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was and still am in full support of changing the offpeak period as announced yesterday but that is probably because I had not shifted to the unlimited plans. I can see how people who had signed on to a 30gb/unlimited plan would be annoyed by the original announcement, however; A) Exetel are well within their rights to stuff around with their offpeak periods, it was clear as day in the contract and B)I was not suggesting people in contract are the source of the problem, I am suggesting that people who jumped at the chance of unlimited downloads in 'offpeak' time are the source of the problem.

Right now however, I would just like to know what is going on as I do not believe the second announcement (today) was very clear at all.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 pm

bandario wrote:It would appear that I have replied to a thread which has been deleted. The information below still stands but will look a lot like I am talking to myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was and still am in full support of changing the offpeak period as announced yesterday but that is probably because I had not shifted to the unlimited plans. I can see how people who had signed on to a 30gb/unlimited plan would be annoyed by the original announcement, however; A) Exetel are well within their rights to stuff around with their offpeak periods, it was clear as day in the contract and B)I was not suggesting people in contract are the source of the problem, I am suggesting that people who jumped at the chance of unlimited downloads in 'offpeak' time are the source of the problem.

Right now however, I would just like to know what is going on as I do not believe the second announcement (today) was very clear at all.
What is it you didn't understand?

bandario

Post by bandario » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Just to clarify: I am out of contract and currently my peak/off peak is 12->12.

This will remain unchanged until September and for those who switched to unlimited, until their contract expires.

If this is correct, what is the new plan of attack to ensure the service is actually usable from 7am-12pm on the weekend?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 pm

bandario wrote:Just to clarify: I am out of contract and currently my peak/off peak is 12->12.

This will remain unchanged until September and for those who switched to unlimited, until their contract expires.

If this is correct, what is the new plan of attack to ensure the service is actually usable from 7am-12pm on the weekend?
I can't understand your questions so you should find some other place to ask them...Exetel support?

ItsAllGood

Post by ItsAllGood » Thu May 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Bandario, your question is clear enough. Since the period from 8am to midday will no longer be a peak period, it should all run much faster after September 1st. From 7am to 8am there will still be people using their offpeak downloads so it will be congested. So no further actions seem necessary as the new peak times will free up any congestion after 8pm and your internet speed should be much faster than it is now.

PS, why was my previous reply to Bandario deleted? It was perfectly reasonable although I did mention I had been under some stress lately. Ten months fighting cancer tends to do that though I didn't think I'd have to announce it to everybody to justify my words. I use the internet a lot to research treatments and follow support forums which is why I get edgy about changes.

Thank you also Exetel for providing a cheap and reliable service which I have enjoyed for 6 years. (Didn't I say that last time?)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am

ItsAllGood wrote:
From 7am to 8am there will still be people using their offpeak downloads so it will be congested. So no further actions seem necessary as the new peak times will free up any congestion after 8pm and your internet speed should be much faster than it is now.
Thank you for your long term support - I assume we are recognising that in a tangible way via the Pioneer Discount?

Would you please point me to the link(s) you believe are "congested"?

I can't see any other than a minor problem with the AAPT back haul that is due to ongoing delays in adding a second 1 gbps backhaul - planned to be completed early next week.

ItsAllGood

Post by ItsAllGood » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am

[quote="ForumAdmin"
Thank you for your long term support - I assume we are recognising that in a tangible way via the Pioneer Discount?

Would you please point me to the link(s) you believe are "congested"?

I can't see any other than a minor problem with the AAPT back haul that is due to ongoing delays in adding a second 1 gbps backhaul - planned to be completed early next week.[/quote]

We weren't among the first 1000, in fact our 6th anniversary is not till 1st June, which was the first day 6 years ago that ADSL came to our town. :D But you didn't answer my question as to why you had deleted my very reasonable (I thought) post.
I thought "congested" meant that people weren't getting the full speed, usually due to too many other users downloading. Did I use the wrong word? Forgive me if I don't have a technical background. :? I thought that was the case after we changed to the fastest ADSL1 speed from our old 1500 speed last month. We did the speed test using the Exetel home page and the first day after 2pm we got good speeds but after that we rarely got over the old 1500 speed despite ensuring that only one computer at home was in use and closing down any other applications. We became rather disillusioned after a week of trying to prove we were on faster speeds with only twice or three times getting over 1500. My husband swore the change had not gone through and wanted to lodge a ticket but those occasional higher speeds eventually proved him wrong.
Maybe it's our local Post Office exchange at fault. Wow, I just tested and got 5836.2 kbps, the fastest so far and it's still off-peak so maybe our exchange has had a problem.
Can anyone answer why the Exetel speed test always gives a substantially lower result than speed tests supplied by other web sites?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 pm

ItsAllGood wrote:
We weren't among the first 1000, in fact our 6th anniversary is not till 1st June, which was the first day 6 years ago that ADSL came to our town. :D But you didn't answer my question as to why you had deleted my very reasonable (I thought) post.
I thought "congested" meant that people weren't getting the full speed, usually due to too many other users downloading. Did I use the wrong word? Forgive me if I don't have a technical background. :? I thought that was the case after we changed to the fastest ADSL1 speed from our old 1500 speed last month. We did the speed test using the Exetel home page and the first day after 2pm we got good speeds but after that we rarely got over the old 1500 speed despite ensuring that only one computer at home was in use and closing down any other applications. We became rather disillusioned after a week of trying to prove we were on faster speeds with only twice or three times getting over 1500. My husband swore the change had not gone through and wanted to lodge a ticket but those occasional higher speeds eventually proved him wrong.
Maybe it's our local Post Office exchange at fault. Wow, I just tested and got 5836.2 kbps, the fastest so far and it's still off-peak so maybe our exchange has had a problem.
Can anyone answer why the Exetel speed test always gives a substantially lower result than speed tests supplied by other web sites?
1) Don't use the Extel speed test....it never shows the correct speed....use some independent test.
2) If the Exetel's links show no contention then the problem is outside the Exetel network and we can do nothing about it.
3) 8 mb links, across Australia, have been subject to a range of Telstra related issues which they acknowledge on their web site
4) I don't know why your post was deleted.

Mulder

Post by Mulder » Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I have been a customer with Exetel since July of 2004. I have also refrained from commenting till now about this change. Whilst it is fair to say that schedulers will take care of most people problems with the proposed time changes it will do nothing for people such as me.
I have to take into consideration the other people who live in my house and I cannot run the computer at all hours of the morning due to the fan noise coming from the computer which is amplified by the fact I live in a really quiet area and you can hear exhaust brakes on trucks some 3 kilometres away. You may say to buy a new computer with a quieter fan or replace the fan with a new fan. The fan is new as is the computer. There is nothing actually wrong with the fan as it has a massive job of keeping the computer CPU and graphics card cool.
All I ask is for exetel to reconsider the timing of the off peak time so that everyone and not a selected few get to use it.
Personally I would be happy with 6am to midday or even 5am to 11am or something similar.
Having said that I have never even come close at any stage to going near the off peak limits set by Exetel but that doesnt mean I dont use some of it.
Please reconsider.
David