ADSL2 Off Peak Downloads

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2 Off Peak Downloads

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Bruce Evans wrote:Although “leecher plans” could be profitable, the excess bandwidth available would be used up by a relatively small number of accounts
That is very true
Bruce Evans wrote:On my original point however, I still think the statement on Exetel’s pricing page will be misunderstood by many prospective customers, and should be qualified by referring to the acceptable usage policy or something.
This is understandable. Exetel did explicitly state on the older plans that "No Charge" does not equal "No Limit" so perhaps a similar footnote "Unmetered does not equal unlimited" would also be pragmatic. But ForumAdmin's reply means it has been (or is) under consideration so if Exetel think it has merit, they will amend the pricing page accordingly. If not, that is what this forum is useful for: clarification and guidance (albeit unofficial in nature)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

pecifieote

Post by pecifieote » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
gong_guy wrote:
pecifieote wrote: I suggest Exetel impose a set limit for off peak download, above which user incurs a fee per gigabyte or user connection shaping commences. It used to be like this before (with defined quota for off-peak) why not return to this?
I have been with Exetel from the beginning and this issue has come up again and again and again.

The only time there appeared to be some control was when the Off Peak period was defined for a set GB. At all other times there was trouble with people knowingly or unknowing "abusing" the Off Peak period.

I think the unmetered period should be defined. With the new plans having 50 cent GB you may not need that period at all any more.
Perhaps you're right.

Perhaps after 6 plus years we should just give up.
I do not agree with the characterization of having a defined quota during off-peak period as "giving up". Reasonable limits are useful guidance and will deter the "leecher". The limit can still be quite generous but it will stop the ridiculous overuse that can occur with some users on the unlimited off-peak plans. Option to use above the limit is still there, it will just add additional charge per gigabyte of data or commencement of the connection shaping.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am

One problem with naming a limit is that many people see a "limit" as a "target" and actually increase their usage to match.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Bruce Evans

Post by Bruce Evans » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:25 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:ForumAdmin's reply means it has been (or is) under consideration
I'm not going there! lol. Suffice to say, you're very loyal, Corey.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm

What I meant by that is that because ForumAdmin has replied to this thread, it means he is aware of the broad issue. Therefore any decision (to change wording, or not, etc) will be be an informed one. That is the most that a customer can ask for.

In fact, these user suggestions *do* seem to have had an effect. With new plans now re-worded to return back to the more familiar "peak" from 8am to 2am and "No Charge off-peak" from 2am to 8am.

Spectator

Post by Spectator » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:23 pm

One problem with naming a limit is that many people see a "limit" as a "target" and actually increase their usage to match.
And some people see not having a limit as a target to download as much as possible.

IMO Exetel should pick a number they can live with, publish it so everyone knows the rules and review it every now and then (if they can afford to and want to offer more do so, if things are a bit tight than reduce it). Also as others have suggested continue to give people the option of downloading above the limit at 50c/GB (or using their remaining peak allowance - if any).

Clearly people do not know what they can download with this (and various previous) arrangement. I also would have thought a published and affordable limit was more in keeping with the new directions Exetel is taking about trying to prevent pricing of plans that can allow customers to be unprofitable.

I think many of the complaints are a result of uncertainty. Having a firm limit cuts out that uncertainty.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:55 am

Spectator wrote:
And some people see not having a limit as a target to download as much as possible.

Perhaps people with this type of attitude may be better of at another ISP. It should be simply a matter of download what you need, not just downloading because you can. People such as Jugg3rnaut on Whirlpool who has claimed to being downloading and then just deleting it and downloading it again are not needed.
Ken.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 am

cyberknutt wrote:
Spectator wrote:

Perhaps people with this type of attitude may be better of at another ISP. It should be simply a matter of download what you need, not just downloading because you can. People such as Jugg3rnaut on Whirlpool who has claimed to being downloading and then just deleting it and downloading it again are not needed.
It's hard to believe people capable of using the internet can be that stupid and anti-social. Goodness knows what their parents are like.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:54 am

I would think it would be rather uneeded to stipulate a limit for an uncharged period considering it is a 1% margin of users actually utilizing that time zone "unfairly" so as to clog it - so go after those users behind the scenes (no one needs to or really wants to be made aware of them, they probably belong with TPG etc, etc).

Nowadays we're talking about 2am-8am, a 6 hr time slot in which very, very, few 'ordinary' customers will find their activities distrupted in that zone. There is perhaps only a remote issue that is can everyone get a fair ration of downloads sensibly out of that period?

I am a little perplexed at why Exetel hands the heaviest of uncounted users over to other suppliers when they could as easily route them a simple page warning "cease/stop". Unless these customers are complaining very vociferously...I would just give an ultimatum that:
"this stop page remains in place between 2am - 8am, daily, until the start of next month (default); however, if you tick the below box your connection will be restored immediately on condition you acknowledge the permanent removal of the no charge/bonus feature from your plan [ ]"

I'd also consider it plenty of quota if perhaps there was an enforced action on the 'free downloads' and users could be fed the stop page warning as we each varyingly arrive at 50% of our plans provisioned data. This prevents a '$20,10GB subscriber' helping themselves to e.g. a '45GB offpeak' - leaving that sort of bonus more rationally to the '$55,90GB subscriber'.

If as FA says, "99% of Exetel's customers use less than 60 gb" in peak time=18hours, it then stands to reason 30 gb in 6hours ought to seem quite sufficient and would satisfy just about everyone were that to be a constraint imposed under 'reasonable network management'.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I am a little perplexed at why Exetel hands the heaviest of uncounted users over to other suppliers

Why are we happy enough that really heavy down loaders move to another provider?

1) We don't want to make customers unhappy

2) We don't want to lose money providing a service to a customer that makes them unhappy

3) We don't want customers who down load so much that they make customers who don't down load a lot unhappy

4) We don't want customers who down load so much to send Exetel broke

5) There are so many ISPs that cater for heavy down loaders now there is no longer a need for Exetel to do that

6) We pioneered the provision of large downloads at the lowest prices and have spent over six years not being able to make every customer happy

7) We are no longer able, or are interested, in providing services to heavy down loaders

8) We would like to stop throwing money away providing services to people who are unhappy yet, individually cost us losses of up to $600.00 a month providing a service they then complain about.

9) By not offering services to heavy down loaders we can make 99% of our other customers much happier and provide services at lower costs

10) Less than 1,000 customers complain in the most atrocious terms, abuse Exetel personnel, use a hugely disproportionate percentage of the total network capabilities and cost a small fortune to achieve that massive level of unhappiness.

I could go on........

The best day for those customers and for Exetel is when they churn to another provider.

It's the only sensible thing to do for them and for Exetel.

We should have done it years ago.

kenobiajay

Post by kenobiajay » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Would Exetel consider increasing the off peak from 2-8 to 2-10? That would really sweeten the deal...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:15 pm

kenobiajay wrote:Would Exetel consider increasing the off peak from 2-8 to 2-10? That would really sweeten the deal...
Right now there is no plan to change the times.

Gabriel8

Post by Gabriel8 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I believe Exetel should get rid of Exetel's undesirable customers quickly. The faster the better for everybody in Exetel. Some of these undesirables are a bunch of ingrates anyway. Prune them off like diseased branches on a plant.

This is coming from another one of Exetel's ungrateful customers:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 59019&p=16

User #78843 11548 posts
User #78843: (The statement is at the bottom of the link provided)

This customer believes he or she is on unlimited offpeak and downloaded 220 gigs offpeak last month and is complaining that he or she is being shaped this month. He pays a measly $35 for his BYO service for 30gigs onpeak and what he or she believes to be unlimited offpeak. This unjust customer does not even want to know about the costings, just wants to download the whole internet for $35 a month.

His/her service costs about $25+(30x0.4)=$37 a month for Exetel to operate if he or she downloads all his onpeak and he downloaded 220 gigs offpeak (220x0.4=$88) last month and is complaining like a child right now because he or she believes he or she is being shaped.

Get rid of such customers from Exetel network. They are diseased and rotten.

These customers do not even see that Exetel donates 1/3 of its profits towards important causes. All these customers think about is themselves.

Mr John Linton, you do Not need customers of these nature! They will send your company broke, irritate your good customers , irritate your staff to death, and could give a rat's ass or a flying toss about your charitable causes. Get Rid of them for the good of your company and your customers and your charitable causes.

Such customers (people) do Not understand the concept of Justice or Fairness in Business or in Life.
Last edited by Gabriel8 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Gabriel8 wrote:I believe Exetel should get rid of Exetel's undesirable customers quickly. The faster the better for everybody in Exetel. Some of these undesirables are a bunch of ingrates anyway. Prune them off like diseased branches on a plant.

This is coming from another one of Exetel's ungrateful customers:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 59019&p=16

User #78843 11548 posts
User #78843:

This customer believes he or she is on unlimited offpeak and downloaded 220 gigs offpeak last month and is complaining that he or she is being shaped this month. He pays a measly $35 for his BYO service for 30gigs onpeak and what he or she believes to be unlimited offpeak. This unjust customer does not even want to know about the costings, just wants to download the whole internet for $35 a month.

His/her service costs about $25+(30x0.4)=$37 a month for Exetel to operate if he or she downloads all his onpeak and he downloaded 220 gigs offpeak (220x0.4=$88) last month and is complaining like a child right now because he or she believes he or she is being shaped.

Get rid of such customers from Exetel network. They are diseased and rotten.

These customers do not even see that Exetel donates 1/3 of its profits towards important causes. All these customers think about is themselves.

Mr John Linton, you do Not need customers of these nature! They will send your company broke, irritate your good customers , irritate your staff to death, and could give a rat's ass or a flying toss about your charitable causes. Get Rid of them for the good of your company and your customers and your charitable causes.

Such customers (people) do Not understand the concept of Justice or Fairness in Business or in Life.
An interesting first post. Please be careful about how you post here in future.

It is hard to understand why any person who holds such views would not move to another provider that better met their needs.

It has always surprised me that any self respecting person would still be disadvantaging themselves by using a service and a company they describe in such terms unless:

1) They actually aren't an Exetel customer
2) They are a little kid whose parents make the decisions
3) They are psychotic

Exetel has no wish to have unhappy customers any more than any customer has any wish to have a supplier they are unhappy with.

Any vaguely adult person confronted with a supplier with whom they are unhappy will simply move to another provider.

Why any customer would not avail themselves of that course of action rather than making statements on some online screen defies logic.

Gabriel8

Post by Gabriel8 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:15 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:An interesting first post. Please be careful about how you post here in future.
Duly Noted ForumAdmin. Sorry about the strong language in regards to your (****) customers.

Kind Regards,

Gabriel8