June Newsletter

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Legend

June Newsletter

Post by Legend » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:31 am

The less than 500 or so customers that we will choose not to continue to provide services to when our contract to do so ends
What volume of downloads are these people making? I miss the old days when Exetel used to list the top super-leechers, although I assume the worst saw it as some badge of honour.

More to the point, how does this affect people like me, who were virtually forced (albeit in a nice way) onto cheaper, faster unlimited plans?

oldman

Re: June Newsletter

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:45 am

The June newsletter has me confused, again, about whether I still have to change plans by June 30 (I previously received an email saying I had to). The paragraph in the newsletter which has me confused reads:

Statistically over 99% of our customers download very realistic amounts of data and we are happy to continue to offer the very lowest prices we are able to under the current plans you are on. You do not need to change anything and hopefully you will find that there are no lower prices for the equivalent down loads and quality of service available from any other provider.

I have bolded and italicised the section which, to me, seems to suggest that I don't need to change from the current plan I am on... which is NF/23NOTEL.

Thank you.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:00 am

Legend wrote:
What volume of downloads are these people making?
I'm not sure but I've seen mention of one of the worst offenders doing 1.5TB in a month, people like that don't even deserve to have internet access :evil:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:13 pm

oldman wrote:The June newsletter has me confused, again, about whether I still have to change plans by June 30 (I previously received an email saying I had to). The paragraph in the newsletter which has me confused reads:

Statistically over 99% of our customers download very realistic amounts of data and we are happy to continue to offer the very lowest prices we are able to under the current plans you are on. You do not need to change anything and hopefully you will find that there are no lower prices for the equivalent down loads and quality of service available from any other provider.

I have bolded and italicised the section which, to me, seems to suggest that I don't need to change from the current plan I am on... which is NF/23NOTEL.

Thank you.
Any email specifically sent to you will take precedence over a generic newsletter
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Legend

Post by Legend » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:59 pm

jokiin wrote:I'm not sure but I've seen mention of one of the worst offenders doing 1.5TB in a month, people like that don't even deserve to have internet access :evil:
That's ridiculous. I'm all for free stuff but there is a limit as to what should be free. I was quite surprised (and obviously pleased) I was able to my switch from my former 512/128 36GB pk/54GB op plan to 1500/256 36GB pk/60GB op for the same price. Even more surprising was that I was virtually being forced to do so. However, the no cost switch from 60GB to unlimited, and removal off off-peak excess really made no sense. I was under the impression, based on nearly 5 years of discussions, that the off-peak cap and excess charges were aimed at eliminating the super-leecher problem. Didn't they work? Maybe a staggered off-peak cap would be appropriate? Or has that been tried previously? it's so hard to remember the changes these days.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm

As you have been advised - no customer has to change any plan they may be on.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Legend wrote: That's ridiculous. I'm all for free stuff but there is a limit as to what should be free. I was quite surprised (and obviously pleased) I was able to my switch from my former 512/128 36GB pk/54GB op plan to 1500/256 36GB pk/60GB op for the same price. Even more surprising was that I was virtually being forced to do so. However, the no cost switch from 60GB to unlimited, and removal off off-peak excess really made no sense. I was under the impression, based on nearly 5 years of discussions, that the off-peak cap and excess charges were aimed at eliminating the super-leecher problem. Didn't they work? Maybe a staggered off-peak cap would be appropriate? Or has that been tried previously? it's so hard to remember the changes these days.

20% of Exetel's customers download less than 2 gb of peak time download

50% of Exetel's customers use less than 5 gb of peak time downloads.

90% of Exetel's customers use less than 30 gb

99% of Exetel's customers use less than 60 gb

250 customers used more than 150 gb in of peak time in May - the highest down loader used 1.5 terabytes.

It doesn't take much arithmetic ability to see that Exetel's network is not optimally set up to cater for those 250 users and they would be much happier moving to TPG or some similar provider.

oldman

Post by oldman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:00 am

ForumAdmin wrote:As you have been advised - no customer has to change any plan they may be on.
Was this in answer to my post several above yours? I have been attempting to get a definitive answer for several weeks but have had conflicting answers from both official and unofficial channels. As you can see, CoreyPlover seems to indicate that I will have to change.

Thank you.