1.5 mbps Plans?

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

We looked at all other ISP's 1500/256 ADSL1 plans today and can't find any plan that offers more than each of the 1500/256 plans we currently offer.

If anyone can point out any other plan that is better than Exetel's please let us know.

Right now we see no need to improve the current plans.

Ravenous
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by Ravenous » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Very difficult to find anything within $5.

Perhaps Internode Easy Broadband $60 = 50 GB anytime down and up counted could be seen as 'better' (for regional customers on 1500/256) when compared with Exetel 1500C $65 = 50 GB Peak if you do not care about upload counting or off-peak.

You possibly get more nibbles if you did the following?

1500B $55 = 50 GB Peak
1500C $65 = 70 GB Peak

All the best with it.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by Col » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 pm

There is the 60GB+60GB plan that TPG offers for $70 that, although isn't really better than anything Exetel offers, I'd still call competition. The only plan over 50GB that you have is 100GB for $95, so if you moved 1500C to at least 60GB peak it might make the choice easier for some customers.

I also agree with Ravenous that the Easy Broadband plan could be conceived as competition against 1500B, so a peak quota bump up to at least 45GB (as the Internode plan counts uploads and Exetel doesn't) might make the choice easier for customers there too.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by Col » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Okay, nice plan update. The 50GB for $60 plan would now seem to solve the Internode, and perhaps the TPG, 'problem'.
Last edited by Col on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hodgee10
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: Cessnock

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by hodgee10 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Could I make a suggestion that the 1500/256 plans have an added plan with a smaller download (say 6gb/6gb) with a lower cost. Not everyone sits at their computer all day downloading huge amounts of data. I have referred at least 10 people to Exetel, and 9 out of the 10 wouldn't use any more than 3-4gb per month- including me. My neighbour who I referred to Exetel, was on a $40.00/ month 1500/256 plan for three years and the cost increased $3.00 then another $5.00 costing at total of $48.00/month on a 6/gb plan. I recently changed them to the cheapest 1500/256 plan @ $45.00/ month which give them 30/120gb. They only use maximum 5gb.

So, could a cheaper cost lower, allowance plan be considered please?

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by LordS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 pm

I thinking something similar just earlier, a real low usage plan would be ideal.

edit: Exetel doesn't offer PAYU plans anymore?
Last edited by LordS on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tazz
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:05 pm
Location: Launceston

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by Tazz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:10 pm

(I asked this in another thread, but didn't know about this thread then)

Just had a look at the new plans on
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php

Very tempting, but can Exetel afford to offer these?
If I change to the 1500D plan would I really be an economically viable customer?

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by LordS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Just looking at one of my referrals accounts and they haven't used a total of 10GB in any month since I signed them up, and they are on a 1500 30Gb peak plan for $55 + a service fee ($5) + credit card.

On the old PAYU plans how much was a 1500 port + 10GB of quota?

I doubt anywhere near that much =/

I need to find a cheaper alternative

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:26 pm

LordS wrote:Just looking at one of my referrals accounts and they haven't used a total of 10GB in any month since I signed them up, and they are on a 1500 30Gb peak plan for $55 + a service fee ($5) + credit card.

On the old PAYU plans how much was a 1500 port + 10GB of quota?

I doubt anywhere near that much =/

I need to find a cheaper alternative
The lowest 1500 plan is now $45.00 (plus $1.10 if paid by credit card) - a saving of $15.00 per month from what your friends are paying now.

As far as we can see there is no lower cost 1500 monthly plan on the Australian market.

However if there is please let us know.

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by LordS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
LordS wrote:Just looking at one of my referrals accounts and they haven't used a total of 10GB in any month since I signed them up, and they are on a 1500 30Gb peak plan for $55 + a service fee ($5) + credit card.

On the old PAYU plans how much was a 1500 port + 10GB of quota?

I doubt anywhere near that much =/

I need to find a cheaper alternative
The lowest 1500 plan is now $45.00 (plus $1.10 if paid by credit card) - a saving of $15.00 per month from what your friends are paying now.

As far as we can see there is no lower cost 1500 monthly plan on the Australian market.

However if there is please let us know.
Thats still alot of wasted quota being paid for?
If they only need like 15GB in total for peak/offpeak why signup to a plan that offers 150GB ?

maybe you can tell me, would a 1500 port + 15Gb of data (at 50c a GB) be cheaper than the current $45?

Edit: I see a netspace plan for 39.95 + Eftel for 39.95 also.
Neither have the same data allowance, but are at 1500....
These actually appear to only be with phone deals upon reviewing the website....
Last edited by LordS on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenous
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by Ravenous » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Port cost is "not far short of $40". viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36133&p=275845&hili ... st#p275845

No more blood to squeeze from this dry stone.

Netspace/Eftel requrie bundling hence loss recouped.
Last edited by Ravenous on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm

LordS wrote:Thats still alot of wasted quota being paid for?
If they only need like 15GB in total for peak/offpeak why signup to a plan that offers 150GB ?

maybe you can tell me, would a 1500 port + 15Gb of data (at 50c a GB) be cheaper than the current $45?

Edit: I see a netspace plan for 39.95 + Eftel for 39.95 also.
Neither have the same data allowance, but are at 1500....
See a post like viewtopic.php?p=278958#p278958. The ADSL port itself is likely to cost close to $40 in itself.

Edit:Ravenous beat me to it...and provided a much better link too.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

LordS
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by LordS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks guys, i was afraid that was the case.
Looks like exetel still offers the best prices.

Better go for a wander down the street and get my mate swapping plans.

hodgee10
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: Cessnock

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by hodgee10 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:22 pm

The lowest 1500 plan is now $45.00 (plus $1.10 if paid by credit card) - a saving of $15.00 per month from what your friends are paying now.

As far as we can see there is no lower cost 1500 monthly plan on the Australian market.

However if there is please let us know. [/quote]

DODO offer a 5gb/5gb 1500/256 plan for $34.90

I know we're trying to compare apples and oranges here, but if DODO can do it for that price, why can't Exetel?

I have just transferred one of my friends from Exetel to DODO and signed another up to DODO as they are very light users.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 1.5 mbps Plans?

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 pm

hodgee10 wrote:

DODO offer a 5gb/5gb 1500/256 plan for $34.90

I know we're trying to compare apples and oranges here, but if DODO can do it for that price, why can't Exetel?

I have just transferred one of my friends from Exetel to DODO and signed another up to DODO as they are very light users.
Well....I have never considered Dodo as a reasonable provider and therefore we never look at what they offer but that is, of course, nothing but an observational opinion.

Exetel couldn't prove a service at that price as our buy price (inc GST) for the monthly port charge is almost that amount - presumably Dodo buys in much larger amounts than Exetel is able to do and gets a much better buy price from Telstra. Alternatively they are simply much better negotiators - it wouldn't be difficult as we have never been able to negotiate anything at any time with Telstra.

Post Reply