can you please block torrents off

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Avignale

can you please block torrents off

Post by Avignale » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi, a family member who is a rather unpleasant person refuses to stop downloading mountains of illegal material off torrents and constantly sends us considerably over our quota by very large ammounts.
Having tried reasoning with her she threatened to kill me and shoved a knife into my face, so now i wish to request that exetel completely block p2p traffic for my connection completely. I will never find a legitimate use for p2p usage its completely useless to me and only facilitates to entertain an unemployed drug addict who refuses to find work. perhaps cutting off her entertainment she will go and find work, or attack me, with in that case i will be finally able to send her to jail and the problem will be solved completely, all it takes is for exetel to block p2p completely on my connection.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: can you please block torrents off

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:38 pm

We've heard all this before, Avignale. When it was last brought up it was mentioned that some routers can do the job you want, and any gateway computer can restrict individual usage or data type easily. That's up to you and the account holder to manage. Exetel just sends and receives data, and quota over-runs are matters for the account holder. I'm sorry you can't reason with her, but please, the forum can't be involved in escalating family hassles. You could consider an over-quota shaped plan and a separate wireless broadband service (with the modem kept secure) for those shaped times.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am

Close your ADSL account down completely, and then buy a wireless broadband plan for yourself.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 am

You've already asked this question twice now: viewtopic.php?f=288&t=34824 and viewtopic.php?f=288&t=35401. Your attitude to your sister hasn't changed (I cautioned you once before that this is an Exetel technical forum and not one that should be used to air your domestic disputes) and the technical response has not changed.

Thread locked
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au