New $3 surcharge

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
GaryG

New $3 surcharge

Post by GaryG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:32 pm

My apologies if there is already a topic on this but I looked and couldn't find it.

I have just received an email telling me there is about to be a $3 monthly surcharge/Account Administration Fee on my ADSL account.

I am guessing from the way it is worded and the fact that the charge is now listed on the plan pages mean everyone is going to be charged.

Let me start by saying I understand and accept if Exetel is saying costs have increased so they need to charge extra.

But I really don't like this way of doing it, it is a partly hidden charge in the sense that it is an extra cost that everyone has to pay, so why not include it in the plan cost?

I think every other charge under that clickable "hidden" link is through choice or a one off (not sure about the SPAM filter as I don't use it).

I understand if an increase in current costs mean old plans are not quite high enough so you need to charge a surcharge as a way of covering the cost and giving an incentive for users to move onto a new economically viable plan.

Anyway, enough of the rant, but please consider a different approach.

I have no intention of leaving Exetel, I have been happy to be a customer and will continue to be so.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 pm

GaryG wrote:
But I really don't like this way of doing it, it is a partly hidden charge in the sense that it is an extra cost that everyone has to pay, so why not include it in the plan cost?
last time this had to be done it was on existing plans and then new plans released after that date had the fee included in their cost so it didn't show as an extra, I'm not sure if that's what will happen this time but it does seem to be the logical approach

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 pm

jokiin wrote:last time this had to be done it was on existing plans and then new plans released after that date had the fee included in their cost so it didn't show as an extra, I'm not sure if that's what will happen this time but it does seem to be the logical approach
You are right that was the previous approach and my preference too but if you check the new plan pages you will see that as I posted it is a listed charge for all plans so does get added on as an additional charge

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 pm

GaryG wrote:
jokiin wrote:last time this had to be done it was on existing plans and then new plans released after that date had the fee included in their cost so it didn't show as an extra, I'm not sure if that's what will happen this time but it does seem to be the logical approach
You are right that was the previous approach and my preference too but if you check the new plan pages you will see that as I posted it is a listed charge for all plans so does get added on as an additional charge
yes but no new plans have been released though have they, these are all the current plans, last time from memory new plans were released that just had the fee incorporated, its only just been announced so could see some fine tuning or other plans to come yet I guess, in any case the total cost should be considered when evaluating a plan regardless of if the admin fee is included or shown as an extra, no matter how it gets sliced and diced the total you need to pay is all that really matters in the scheme of things

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 pm

The admin fee is hidden among items that show up if you click "For other charges that may apply to ADSL plans please click here".

To put it mildy, I think Exetel has misclassified the admin fee.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Perplexes me why they use the surcharge method instead of simply raising the monthly charge of each affected plan by $3? Is it a limitation in the billing system?

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Ravenous wrote:Perplexes me why they use the surcharge method instead of simply raising the monthly charge of each affected plan by $3? Is it a limitation in the billing system?
I have a feeling it might be that if you are still under contract they cannot make the increase and nothing to do with the billing system.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I am no solicitor however my understanding is Exetel can vary the 'contract' in their favour so long as they give notice in writing of the change and give forty-two days from the date of the notice in which the Customer may cancel the Service without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges.

This has already been followed so exisiting contracts have no bearing on the decision.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Ravenous wrote:I am no solicitor however my understanding is Exetel can vary the 'contract' in their favour so long as they give notice in writing of the change and give forty-two days from the date of the notice in which the Customer may cancel the Service without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges.

This has already been followed so exisiting contracts have no bearing on the decision.
I am not sure that is correct but we really need some Exetel input.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 pm

GaryG wrote:
Ravenous wrote:I am no solicitor however my understanding is Exetel can vary the 'contract' in their favour so long as they give notice in writing of the change and give forty-two days from the date of the notice in which the Customer may cancel the Service without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges.

I am not sure that is correct but we really need some Exetel input.
I'm sure this will be forthcoming in the morning.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm

James wrote:
GaryG wrote:I am not sure that is correct but we really need some Exetel input.
I'm sure this will be forthcoming in the morning.
Fair enough. Until then. :D

hansip

Post by hansip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 am

I noticed on Exetel website that they have new plans (OTAA, OTBB, etc). However, on the members facilities, when I tried to move to the new plans. I still see only the old plans. The new plans has more quota for the same price (which makes one wonder why the need to charge $3 on the current plan), but the excess usage charge has doubled ($1/GB).

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 am

I'm under a 12 month contract (OTAW plan) and got the letter too!
I've sent off an email to them asking if I got the letter in error as I'm under contract, will let you know the result.... or maybe ForumAdmin can enlighten us all....

T.

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:24 am

Just got the email too.

I also don't understand why this has to be implemented as a "surcharge" instead of increasing the plan amount.

This is the sort of practice I expect from the "big" telcos in order to hide the monthly costs with extras and surcharges and fees. It does not communicate a true price of the plan. This practice also got the airlines into trouble, when they advertised "$1 Airfares" - except that surcharges and taxes meant we actually paid much more than this.

I fully understand the "swings and roundabouts" (My plan started on $45/month a year ago, then i changed to $40/month) but now the plan should be advertised as $43/month, and not $40/month* (*$3 surcharge applies).

wurzel

Post by wurzel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 am

thomashouseman wrote:I'm under a 12 month contract (OTAW plan) and got the letter too!
I've sent off an email to them asking if I got the letter in error as I'm under contract, will let you know the result.... or maybe ForumAdmin can enlighten us all....

T.
Same here - still under 6 month contract and got the notification. I've put up with all Exetel's chopping-and-changing for many years now, but still stayed with them.

However I've they're about to pull a stunt where they increase proces while under contract then it might be time to leave.
But then won't I get hit with a $100 early cancellation charge?? Has that one been answered anywhere yet as it isn't in the email.