New $3 surcharge

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Lawrie
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm
Location: Unanderra

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by Lawrie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:03 am

I also don't understand why this has to be implemented as a "surcharge" instead of increasing the plan amount.
From previous manifestations of the surcharge I remember a couple of things.
1. by adding a surcharge, one per account, people who have multiple services with Exetel only get one increase in payment. If they increased Plans then it is likely that you will get a bigger increase. (Multiple increased plans)
2. by keeping their plans and fees to an absolute minimum all the time, Exetel is more susceptible to financial problems if something goes wrong with the deals they have with their wholesalers and therefore by adding a surcharge, usually for a temporary period of time, alows them to ride through the rough period. We are still paying less overall than we would if we were with another ISP.
3. by adding a surcharge rather than an increase in the Plans, then it is easier to remove the surcharge later when the 'financial crisis' has passed.

It is never nice to sign up with a contract only to find that the deal has changed within weeks of signing up. However, my experience is that the problem is usually with Exetel's inability to explain the situation to us in a 'nice way' rather than there being any sneaky underhand manouvering happening.

Lawrie

vbap
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by vbap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

Lawrie wrote:However, my experience is that the problem is usually with Exetel's inability to explain the situation to us in a 'nice way' rather than there being any sneaky underhand manouvering happening.
Agree, but at the end of the day "account charges" just make pricing more complex and make it harder for people to evaluate properly between offerings. I really despise Banks with their "account keeping fees" and credit card "annual fees", as I am sure JL does. So it must have been a very difficult decision for the company to implement them here...

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am

I can't improve on Lawrie's reply- it is exactly the case.

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am

ForumAdmin wrote:I can't improve on Lawrie's reply- it is exactly the case.
What about those of us still under contract? Does it apply to us as well or were we sent the email by mistake?

Thanks.

T.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:18 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I can't improve on Lawrie's reply- it is exactly the case.
What about those of us still under contract? Does it apply to us as well or were we sent the email by mistake?

Thanks.

T.
I thought I had previously replied - it applies to all contracts.

wurzel
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Earth

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by wurzel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I thought I had previously replied - it applies to all contracts.
Will those of us who leave Exetel due to a change while under contract still be charged $100 early exit fee, or will it be waived?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm

wurzel wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I thought I had previously replied - it applies to all contracts.
Will those of us who leave Exetel due to a change while under contract still be charged $100 early exit fee, or will it be waived?
Best to email billing@exetel.com.au to confirm this position
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

oblong
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by oblong » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:42 pm

I suggest it would be an improvement if the pricing pages displayed the "administration fee" more prominently near the monthly prices, rather than "hidden" in the "For other charges that may apply to ADSL plans please click here (Click again to close)" section. Of course people should read that section, but legitimately or not, some people will think Exetel is trying to hide something.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 pm

oblong wrote:I suggest it would be an improvement if the pricing pages displayed the "administration fee" more prominently near the monthly prices, rather than "hidden" in the "For other charges that may apply to ADSL plans please click here (Click again to close)" section. Of course people should read that section, but legitimately or not, some people will think Exetel is trying to hide something.
Have you actually looked at the web site pages?

Have you cleared your cache in the last few days?

oblong
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by oblong » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:20 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Have you actually looked at the web site pages?

Have you cleared your cache in the last few days?
Yes, I had, just before posting. When I checked now, I see that the admin charge is mentioned. Sorry if I missed it before.

wurzel
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Earth

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by wurzel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:51 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
wurzel wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I thought I had previously replied - it applies to all contracts.
Will those of us who leave Exetel due to a change while under contract still be charged $100 early exit fee, or will it be waived?
Best to email billing@exetel.com.au to confirm this position
I know... but while I wait a couple of days for their reply, there's no reason I can't ask ForumAdmin since he has been reading this thread.

wurzel
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Earth

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by wurzel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

In the meantime, can anyone suggest which of these would relate to whether or not Exetel can charge the $100 early cancellation fee when they've made a change while under contract? I'm not 100% decided on whether I'm staying or going so need to make sure I have all the facts either way...

"3.2 If Exetel varies a Fixed-Term Agreement under clause 3.1:

1. Exetel must if the variation affects the Customer and it is not a change of a type listed in clause 3.3:
2. giving the Customer twenty-one (21) days notice in writing of the change before the change occurs; and
3. offer the Customer the right to cancel the Service (within forty-two (42) days from the date of the notice) without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges."


or:

"3.3 Exetel may vary a Fixed-Term Agreement even if the variation affects the Customer so long as it complies with the provisions of the Telecommunications Legislation, if the change is:
...
4. in relation to a fee or charge for a service ancillary to the supply of the Service provided that if the change affects the Customer, Exetel offers the Customer:
1. a right to cancel the Service without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges;"

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 am

Contractual considerations can only be answered officially by billing@exetel.com.au. Anecdotally however, when changes like this have occurred in the past, termination fees have often been waived, in light (I expect) with those two clauses you quoted.

I would however stress that this surcharge may be abolished next month, or in several months. It is also likely that in the near-term future new plans will be released without these surcharges and users will almost definitely have the option to switch to them. Again, that has been what has happened in the past, when similar surcharges were introduced on old plans 2+ years ago
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 am

wurzel wrote:In the meantime, can anyone suggest which of these would relate to whether or not Exetel can charge the $100 early cancellation fee when they've made a change while under contract? I'm not 100% decided on whether I'm staying or going so need to make sure I have all the facts either way...

"3.2 If Exetel varies a Fixed-Term Agreement under clause 3.1:

1. Exetel must if the variation affects the Customer and it is not a change of a type listed in clause 3.3:
2. giving the Customer twenty-one (21) days notice in writing of the change before the change occurs; and
3. offer the Customer the right to cancel the Service (within forty-two (42) days from the date of the notice) without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges."


or:

"3.3 Exetel may vary a Fixed-Term Agreement even if the variation affects the Customer so long as it complies with the provisions of the Telecommunications Legislation, if the change is:
...
4. in relation to a fee or charge for a service ancillary to the supply of the Service provided that if the change affects the Customer, Exetel offers the Customer:
1. a right to cancel the Service without incurring fees or charges other than Accrued Charges;"
I cannot provide you with legal advice - I'm not qualified to do so.

The wording of those clauses is completely unequivocal as I read them. If you believe there is any doubt in what they are saying you need to obtain a written statement from Exetel billing or your own solicitors.

GaryG
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: New $3 surcharge

Post by GaryG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:00 am

CoreyPlover wrote:I would however stress that this surcharge may be abolished next month, or in several months. It is also likely that in the near-term future new plans will be released without these surcharges and users will almost definitely have the option to switch to them. Again, that has been what has happened in the past, when similar surcharges were introduced on old plans 2+ years ago
You may be right about future changes but to be fair when similar surcharges were introduced on old plans 2+ years ago it was as you say only on old plans with encouragement to change to new plans.

That approach I totally support.

Post Reply