Early Morning Phone Calls

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Mulder

Early Morning Phone Calls

Post by Mulder » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:44 am

Of late I have been getting early morning phone calls from Overseas. These phone calls are between 2:00am and 3:00am and the caller ID says they are from overseas.
I got this email from Exetel

New Services Provided By Exetel In Sri Lanka
You may have already received a telephone call from the newly established out bound sales team in Colombo who are now calling all Optus ADSL2 customers to tell them about the new lower priced plans and the new mobile and other services from Exetel.
One of the Sydney based business sales supervisors has spent three weeks in Sri Lanka doing the training of the outbound sales staff in Columbo and a great deal of progress has been made in developing this new (to Exetel) process of ensuring that current Exetel customers are informed about better pricing and new services.

Im not saying it is them but is there a posibility? I have an elderly mum and when you get a phone call at that time of the morning yoou expect the worse and its also not nice to be woken 1 hour before you have to get up (I get up at 4am) to go to work for 12.5 hours. I need all the sleep I can get.
Anyone else have this problem?
Its probably not Extel but then again I only have one person who lives overseas who rings me and it isnt him. Also the only voice that I hear when I answer the phone is a person with an Indian accent. They ask something I cannot understand then refuse to talk any further.
Very annoying
David

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Early Morning Phone Calls

Post by jokiin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Mulder wrote:
Im not saying it is them but is there a posibility?
no chance, nobody is working at that hour of the morning

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:21 pm

I seriously doubt it is Exetel but 4am AEST is 10.30pm (the previous day) Sri Lanka time

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 pm

The Colombo office closes at 10 pm AEST.

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm on the "Do Not Call" list and Exetel seems to think that the law doesn't apply to them. :evil:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm

machine wrote:I'm on the "Do Not Call" list and Exetel seems to think that the law doesn't apply to them. :evil:
Perhaps you need to understand what the do not call list is intended to prevent.

As a customer of Exetel a call from Exetel is not proscribed by the terms on the do not call list.

If you don't want a call from Exetel just let us know in one of way or another.

Otherwise we would assume that as an Exetel customer you would want to know when there is a change that is to your benefit.

Either way it has nothing to do with a 'do not call list' - Exetel is your supplier of services - not a cold call canvasser.

After all your vitriolic statements about Exetel over the years why on Earth do you still remain a customer?

Libelling Exetel as you have just done is really reprehensible. Perhaps we should sue you?

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm

What is telemarketing?
Telemarketing is the act of contacting consumers via telephone to offer, sell, advertise or promote goods or services

Telemarketing calls may include:

•calls offering to sell goods or services•calls to sell tickets in a competition
•calls requesting the recipient to attend an information seminar
•calls offering to sell land or an interest in land, or a business or investment opportunity
•customer satisfaction calls that have the intention to solicit sales•calls that offer free goods as part of, or in conjunction with, overall sales campaigns
•calls for credit arrangements
•calls offering anything for "free" that is conditional on expenditure
•calls for the purpose of determining whether or not further telemarketing calls from the organisation are welcome
•calls offering free use of a product for a set period with an option for financial subscription/purchase afterwards, and
•calls to solicit donations.

Calls that are not considered telemarketing calls are:

•product recall calls
•fault rectification calls
•appointment rescheduling calls
•appointment reminder calls
•calls relating to payments
•solicited calls, and
•calls not answered by the person to whom the call is made.

Lookat the second
bolded one from the top

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 pm

•customer satisfaction calls that have the intention to solicit sales•calls that offer free goods as part of, or in conjunction with, overall sales campaigns

The caller said I could get FREE internet as long as I purchased a capped mobile plan

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Thats why I registered with the "DO NOT CALL" Program

I'll clear this up further after talking with the ACMA on monday

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
machine wrote:I'm on the "Do Not Call" list and Exetel seems to think that the law doesn't apply to them. :evil:
Perhaps you need to understand what the do not call list is intended to prevent.

As a customer of Exetel a call from Exetel is not proscribed by the terms on the do not call list.

Otherwise we would assume that as an Exetel customer you would want to know when there is a change that is to your benefit.

Either way it has nothing to do with a 'do not call list' - Exetel is your supplier of services - not a cold call canvasser.

After all your vitriolic statements about Exetel over the years why on Earth do you still remain a customer?

Libelling Exetel as you have just done is really reprehensible. Perhaps we should sue you?

EPIC FAIL

machine

Post by machine » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 pm

It's NOT to my benefit to spend more money

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm

machine wrote:If you don't want a call from Exetel just let us know in one of way or another.

Thats why I registered with the "DO NOT CALL" Program

I'll clear this up further after talking with the ACMA on monday
companies that you already do business with are not covered by the register, along with some other like charities etc, I would think the ACMA would make you aware of this, see the exemptions section on this page https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumerfaq.cfm#exempt

machine

Post by machine » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 pm

DO NOT CALL ME

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Machine

Try acting like an adult and write a politely-worded email to Residential Support. Obviously, your request as a customer to not receive calls from your ISP cannot be dealt with on a Forum.

This thread has run its course and is closed.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal