Applying for new service instead of moving service

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
xanthon

Applying for new service instead of moving service

Post by xanthon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I will be moving within the next fortnight. My present plan is to increase by $10 per month. I can apply to move the service but the OT-PAYU plan (the cheapest plan offered) is not available when moving the service.

It seems to me that I can apply for the OT-PAYU plan at the new address and, at the same time, cancel my existing service and ask for my existing telephone number to be 'ported' to the new address. I believe the OT-PAYU plan includes telephone service and ADSL2+ access and that I pay for downloads at $1 per Gb. The application fee of $60 is lower than the $90 charged for relocation.

Do I have my wires crossed? Are there any disadvantages to applying for a new service and cancelling the existing service instead of moving the service?

Thank you.

Ravenous

Re: Applying for new service instead of moving service

Post by Ravenous » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:55 pm

As far as I am aware for the people on resold Optus plans can relocate their service to a new address without requesting Telstra to activate a line as Optus can perform this. So this avoids having to pay telstra (or reseller) a fee to activate your the telephone line at your new premise.

So the new ADSL connection route would involve a Telstra 'temporary' home phone connection = $159 + OT-PAYU activation = $60, TOTAL = $219
Relocation of an resols Optus plan including phone connection and ADSL connection TOTAL = $90

Have a read of this: http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... service.3F

Note this important advice:
Availability of the service at the new location - Contact our Sales department with your complete address stating the Street number, Street name, Suburb state and postal code.
P.S. you could immediately submit a plan change on a new 12-month contract (currently $0) to OT-PAYU once connected OR even better ask if the staff could submit your relocation as OT-PAYU manually.

noranth

Post by noranth » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. Relocation is considered to be a new plan so I would be in breach of any 12 month plan created for my present address.

I was unaware of the Telstra charge for a new telephone connection.

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:51 pm

I will be moving within the next fortnight. My present plan is to increase by $10 per month. I can apply to move the service but the OT-PAYU plan (the cheapest plan offered) is not available when moving the service.

It seems to me that I can apply for the OT-PAYU plan at the new address and, at the same time, cancel my existing service and ask for my existing telephone number to be 'ported' to the new address. I believe the OT-PAYU plan includes telephone service and ADSL2+ access and that I pay for downloads at $1 per Gb. The application fee of $60 is lower than the $90 charged for relocation.

Do I have my wires crossed? Are there any disadvantages to applying for a new service and cancelling the existing service instead of moving the service?

Thank you.

xanthon
Current customers on Optus ASDL2 services can relocate onto which then we will take care of setting up the new service at the new location. Telstra does not need to be involved with respect to relocations for this on Optus bundled/naked with Exetel. We do everything from scratch to activation in regards to the relocation process.