VOIP - Exetel income...

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
PaulT

VOIP - Exetel income...

Post by PaulT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi there.

I have a question as someone favourably inclined to seeing Exetel do well. As someone with both a (Telstra - no choice) PSTN line and (Exetel) VOIP at home, when I'm out I've got a choice of two numbers that I can ring home. With the exception of IP usage (which is minimal), there is no real reason for choosing one over the other. I'm presume ringing the Exetel VOIP number is a source of income for Exetel. Can anyone confirm there is an income to Exetel for incoming VOIP calls and if so, is it profitable? Or to put the question another way, which number would Exetel prefer I rang, the Exetel VOIP or the (Telstra) PSTN?

Thanks.

ForumAdmin

Re: VOIP - Exetel income...

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

PaulT wrote:Hi there.

I have a question as someone favourably inclined to seeing Exetel do well. As someone with both a (Telstra - no choice) PSTN line and (Exetel) VOIP at home, when I'm out I've got a choice of two numbers that I can ring home. With the exception of IP usage (which is minimal), there is no real reason for choosing one over the other. I'm presume ringing the Exetel VOIP number is a source of income for Exetel. Can anyone confirm there is an income to Exetel for incoming VOIP calls and if so, is it profitable? Or to put the question another way, which number would Exetel prefer I rang, the Exetel VOIP or the (Telstra) PSTN?

Thanks.
Exetel provides the VoIP numbers to save any customer money. There is no cost to Exetel for ringing those numbers as the call does not leave our network.

PaulT

Post by PaulT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - or I don't understand the response! :D

Does Exetel receive an interconnection fee for incoming calls originating from another network to it's VOIP network? If so, is that fee just covering costs or making a small profit?

CorporateVoIP

Post by CorporateVoIP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 pm

The is no monetary component for inbound calls to your VoIP number.