Strange email offer....

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
PaulT

Strange email offer....

Post by PaulT » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 am

This morning I got an email with the subject "Addition of Exetel Telephone Service for XXXXXXX and Special ADSL Offers" which is pretty confusing. The major thrust of the offer is to move from AAPT infrastructure to Optus with a change of phone carrier - OT & OF plans. There is also a small amount of the email offering options to keep the same phone provider with TCV20 plans (Telstra I presume).

Why is it confusing you may well ask. Well I believe Optus does not have any infrastructure at my local exchange (PEAK). So why am I being offered this?

Email is below (with identifying features removed). I have confirmed these plans do appear i my members area.
Dear XXXXX,

Following intense negotiation with two of our major providers, those suppliers have offered reduced costs on all ADSL2+ plans - which we encourage you to take advantage of.

The following plans offer higher download allowances; cheaper excess usage fees; zero transfer costs; options of bundled telephone lines and included calls, and all with zero downtime on your service.

Transfer to an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service and Save

With a zero transfer cost we can offer you an Exetel Optus ADSL2+ service INCLUDING your telephone line rental and 40GB of data from only $40/month.
PLUS you get to keep your telephone number, and experience zero downtime during the transfer.

Plan ADSL2 Telephone Included Downloads Included Downloads Included Contract
Name Charge Line Charge 9am-1am** 1am-9am Telephone Calls Period
OT-20 $9.99 $30 20 GB 20 GB NO 12 Months OT-100 $19.99 $30 100 GB 100 GB NO 12 Months
OT-200 $29.99 $30 200 GB 200 GB NO 12 Months
Plan ADSL2 Telephone Included Downloads Included Downloads Included Contract
Name Charge Line Charge 9am-1am** 1am-9am Telephone Calls Period
OF-20 $19.99 $30 20 GB 20 GB YES # 12 Months
OF-100 $29.99 $30 100 GB 100 GB YES # 12 Months
OF-200 $39.99 $30 200 GB 200 GB YES # 12 Months
** Excess of $0.50 per GB downloaded is charged if the included allowance is exceeded.

# included in this plan is 3,000 minutes worth of FREE calls. Calls included in this 3,000 minutes are National Calls, Local Calls and Calls to Optus Mobiles.

By applying for one of the above Optus ADSL2+ plans you will be transferring away from the AAPT infrastructure and onto the Optus infrastructure. It is also mandatory you transfer your telephone line.

However, you will experience no downtime at all.
Transfer to an Exetel Wide Coverage Plan

If you don't want to transfer your telephone line over to Exetel you can opt for one of our wide coverage plans.

Plan Name Monthly ADSL2+ Charge Included Downloads** Contract Period

TCV20-50 $39.99 50 GB 12 Months

TCV20-200 $49.99 200 GB 12 Months

** Excess of $0.50 per GB downloaded is charged if the included allowance is exceeded.

To take up any of the above plans all you have to do is log into your Members Facilities, then on the left hand side menu select 'Manage Services', then select 'ADSL', then 'Change Service'.

These offers will only be available until the 25th of June.

Regards,

Exetel Provisioning

ForumAdmin

Re: Strange email offer....

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:34 am

Why are you being offered this.....because our records show you are on an AAPT infrastructure on an exchange that also has access to Optus infrastructure.

PaulT

Post by PaulT » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Why are you being offered this.....because our records show you are on an AAPT infrastructure.
Ok, let me put this another way. I think it strange that I'm being offered Optus based plans when my local exchange did not to have Optus infrastructure. Unless that has changed in the last couple of months, it surprises me to be offered Optus based plans. Exetel has enough information about my line to know whether there is Optus infrastructure at my exchange. The email gives me the impression I could move to the OT-20 plan. To confirm, a search on my number on the Exetel site says "no" to providing a new Optus based service.

That is why I think it strange. Couldn't the email have targeted those who really could change?

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Why are you being offered this.....because our records show you are on an AAPT infrastructure.
Yet apparently no Optus infrastructure is present negating any possible migration from AAPT to Optus.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)