does exetel provide mobile phone updates

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
dallas.g

does exetel provide mobile phone updates

Post by dallas.g » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 am

I have a samsung GS2, and it's stock gingerbread, alot of providers including optus, who I thought was the mobile provider which exetel buys service from.

seeing as optus won't push/OTA an ICS update to my phone will exetel?

I know I can do this myself, but i've never done it, and thought a quicker way is to get it pushed like everyone else.

is this possible?

Meshal S
Exetel Staff

Re: does exetel provide mobile phone updates

Post by Meshal S » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am

Hi there,

As Exetel's service runs on the Optus network, this is not possible - therefore, you will have to check with the mobile handset manufacturer as to how you can manually obtain these updates.

dallas.g

Post by dallas.g » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:20 am

sorry saying it isn't possible is not a satisfactory response without explaining why.

why it is not possible?, other telco's provide updates to their customers, optus does this and you utilise the optus network.

I just don't understand.

felix

Post by felix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

dallas.g wrote:seeing as optus won't push/OTA an ICS update to my phone will exetel?
you answered that yourself. Exetel use Optus infrastructure and as such buy a subset (or whole set) of their services. If ICS push out isnt in the catalog, they can't do it.

Would be different if Optus did it but Exetel didn't.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

dallas.g wrote:sorry saying it isn't possible is not a satisfactory response without explaining why.

why it is not possible?, other telco's provide updates to their customers, optus does this and you utilise the optus network.

I just don't understand.
Didn't you say Optus won't do this? If Optus won't, then they definitely won't allow other providers using their network.

dallas.g

Post by dallas.g » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm

the reason optus wont push it to me is because I am not a customer of theirs, not because they dont do it, as far as I am aware customers of optus with gs2s have recieved the ICS update via optus OTA updates.

so if they have the facilities to do so why can exetel not do the same ?

sorry if how I worded it seemed to confuse people.

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm

dallas.g wrote:the reason optus wont push it to me is because I am not a customer of theirs, not because they dont do it, as far as I am aware customers of optus with gs2s have received the ICS update via optus OTA updates.

We understand your situation, however Exetel does not offer all the services and plans that Optus offers. At the moment the service that you are requesting is not offered, may be in the future, the management would negotiate with optus into offering this. For the time being I would suggest that you update your software manually.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:40 pm

dallas.g wrote:the reason optus wont push it to me is because I am not a customer of theirs, not because they dont do it, as far as I am aware customers of optus with gs2s have recieved the ICS update via optus OTA updates.

Do they? I'm on Optus & I have my SGS2 set to "Auto update" (settings > About phone > Software update > Auto update)

There's an option on the Software update menu "Push message" and in fine print it says "You can receive software update information via push messages after signing in to Google account". Don't think it has anything to do with Optus.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 am

Just flash a custom rom, you'll be happier. You can even just manually flash a stock optus rom, they're available all over the net.

samarium

Post by samarium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

If you want an OTA update, why not find a mate with an Optus plan, and swap the SIM temporarily, do the update, then swap back.

Or get a $2 SIM, and a days data, and do the OTA that way.

Or do as suggested above, don't use OTA, download one of the many stock ROMS, and upgrade with Kies, Odin or Heimdall.