Who else got stuffed around by NBN rollout maps?

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ozkidzez91

Who else got stuffed around by NBN rollout maps?

Post by ozkidzez91 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 am

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else got screwed by NBNco. Helidon, Queensland was on the listed sites for "work commencing within 3 years" (and then I think it labelled us as due for work to start this month) a couple of years back but surprise surprise the map changed late last year (i think) and we magically disappeared. Toowoomba just east of us gets fibre in, even though they have competitive optus and aapt ADSL2+ and we're stuck paying the much higher Telstra rates here since Optus never enabled us.

If anyone is interested, we only got enabled for ADSL1 by telstra in 2006, because another company (Bluemaxx) built a dedicated wireless broadband tower for the valley. We were with them for 18 months (contract length) because we signed up, thankful to get anything above dialup at the time, but service got worse as they went on as the customers ready to sign up got adsl instead.. Telstra only enabled us because there was competition, i.e. out of spite.

Oh well, that's what you get for not living in a capital city. I'm sure they ran the fibre cabling straight past us to get to Toowoomba though.

samarium

Re: Who else got stuffed around by NBN rollout maps?

Post by samarium » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm sure the fine print said "Subject to change without notice", also a possiblity that another barrel needed more pork elsewhere.
Last edited by samarium on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozkidzez91

Re: Who else got stuffed around by NBN rollout maps?

Post by ozkidzez91 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 pm

More like labor decided our area was too safe a liberal seat and figured we wren't worth the effort.