Exetels opposition to the NBN

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Mort

Exetels opposition to the NBN

Post by Mort » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 am

I was doing a bit of research on the history of Australia's copper network and found this entry in the Wikipedia article for the NBN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network
However, other telecommunications companies including AAPT,[162] PIPE Networks[163] and Exetel[164] have expressed opposition to the NBN.
Now we all recall quite fondly John's willingness to express his point of view in no uncertain terms, but a lot has changed since the quoted article was published
http://www.zdnet.com/speaking-out-exete ... 339308798/

So given Exetel is now happily (I assume?) offering NBN connections, and at some of the best rates I might add, would it be fair to assume that Exetel as a company has a different view of the NBN now, or are the NBN services just being begrudgingly offered to stay on a level competition?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Exetels opposition to the NBN

Post by James » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 am

Exetel never opposed the NBN, Exetel opposes the way in which it is being done, as there are far more cost effective ways to do it, which would produce the same result, and cost far less.

tin

Post by tin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 pm

James wrote:Exetel never opposed the NBN, Exetel opposes the way in which it is being done, as there are far more cost effective ways to do it, which would produce the same result, and cost far less.
Which parts do you oppose?

I'm personally opposed to the slow, slow rollout pace. I'm not a fan of wireless (congestion issues suck), but I'd happily take that if it meant a faster upload rate than 700kbps.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Exetel is focused on providing our customers with the best possible product and service at the lowest possible cost - regardless of the service or network - this remains true for the NBN, whenever and in whatever form it is deployed in.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 pm

tin, re roll-out speed, aren't you in Parkes? You need to move eastwards where there is an independent MP. Cynical, but as I see it, the entire NBN operation has been politics driven. I'm unconvinced any flavour of government can (or really wishes to) finish it speedily.

tin

Post by tin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Dazzled wrote:tin, re roll-out speed, aren't you in Parkes?
Yep. And I don't call it cynical to talk about independents and swinging seats getting the good stuff. It's what happens, and the early rollout maps were pretty much maps of swinging seats.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

an Sealgair

Post by an Sealgair » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:05 pm

tin wrote:I'm personally opposed to the slow, slow rollout pace.
FWIW (there has been quite a radical change to the NBN - BTW, I sympathise with those in the HFC cable footprint!), how long do you think it would take to replace the line to the 93(?)% of homes and businesses in Australia? Because that is what has to be done, either later on with the Coalition's schedule, or sooner with those under existing NBN contracts. I think it's rather obvious that that type of project would take a while.