Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by James » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

maddanno wrote:Why is there a significant price discrimination between new customers and existing (loyal) customers for the same service?

I want to upgrade my current T20-3 75GB mo ADSL2 Telstra plan to 500GB.

When Using the Change plan feature in user facilities I am offered

ADSL2-R-500 Change of plan Fee $20.00 Monthly Fee $77.50 500 GB Total Cost over 12 months $950.00

Yet new customers are Offered (With BYO Phone line)

New Connection Fee $59.99 or $99.99 Monthly Fee $49.99 500GB Total Cost Over 12 Months $659.87

Is there any way I can upgrade to 500GB for $49.99 a month and not this $77.50 cost? I do not mind renewing a contract for 12 months.
At the moment, our promo plans are only avaialble to new customers, this will hopefully change in the short term.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by James » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm

maddanno wrote:
James wrote:At the moment, our promo plans are only avaialble to new customers, this will hopefully change in the short term.
Thankyou for your prompt reply. However this does nothing to address my concerns and queries.

If your promo plans are available to new customers only, Please explain how an existing customer who is upgrading an old T8-50 plan, outlined in the thread listed below just a few days ago,

viewtopic.php?f=284&t=40787

is offered a $49.99 price to upgrade to 500GB month plan, yet that option is not made available to myself? This is what I am finding quite unfair and discriminatory right now....

What do I have to do to become a "New Customer" again. When I cancel my account how long do I have to wait to be classed as a new customer?
No current customer is offered those plans, the person in the other thread must have just been on the main site.

You are welcome to cancel your current service and apply as a new user, but you will likely be without internet for two weeks.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

The price differential between current and new customers has received several forum threads in the last few months.

Essentially, Exetel's carriers offer sign up incentives for "new" customers. This is because the telco industries subscribe to the archaic (and in my opinion erroneous) notion that a "new" customer is worth more than a current customer. You see this pricing differential all the time in industries like finance with their "honeymoon" interest rates, or insurance broking with their upfront commission rebates.

Exetel pass these sign-up discounts on in their new customer pricing, but because the carriers don't offer anything equivalent for current contract renewals, the same pricing discounts can't be passed on to contract renewals or current pricing. Therefore you get a pricing differential that can be very confusing for customers.

As mentioned, anyone can be a "new" customer. But you need to cancel your current service before reapplying. While you can re-apply immediately after cancellation, the lead time for ADSL / ADSL2+ provisioning can be up to 2 weeks.

You can read viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p307348 for a previous post I made relating to this issue of new vs current plan pricing and the repercussions of re-applying as a new customer
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Need2No
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Shalvey Exchange, NSW

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by Need2No » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:45 pm

maddanno wrote: I want to upgrade my current T20-3 75GB mo ADSL2 Telstra plan to 500GB.

When Using the Change plan feature in user facilities I am offered

ADSL2-R-500 Change of plan Fee $20.00 Monthly Fee $77.50 500 GB Total Cost over 12 months $950.00
As your T20 plan is a Telstra plan, your members facility would only show plans available to Exetels Telstra customers and not Optus plans.
I imagine that if you contact Sales re these new plans as you would be a new (to Optus) customer. It may be worth a try.

Note all of the above may be complete rubbish.

Regards

lonix
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by lonix » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Can i sign up for a new plan on the main website, and just apply as a new customer? will this work?

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:15 pm

lonix wrote:Can i sign up for a new plan on the main website, and just apply as a new customer? will this work?
It will reject you.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 pm

lonix wrote:Can i sign up for a new plan on the main website, and just apply as a new customer? will this work?
You need to explicitly cancel your current ADSL before a new application will be considered a "new" plan.

For further information of the repercussions of cancelling and re-applying as a new customer, I direct you to viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p307348
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

User avatar
dsc68
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Lower Beechmont, Qld

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by dsc68 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am

Could exetel at least waive the $20 change plan fee for customers on older plans? It would be some recompense for being charged double what new customers pay for the same quota.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by James » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 am

dsc68 wrote:Could exetel at least waive the $20 change plan fee for customers on older plans? It would be some recompense for being charged double what new customers pay for the same quota.
Why not just wait a few more weeks?

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 am

James wrote:Why not just wait a few more weeks?
Possibly because customers have heard that "few more weeks" line repeated in various forms for the last 6 months
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lonix
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by lonix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 pm

cant wait till i can get these plans, im constantly running out of quota but i cant afford to spend more

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by KavindaS » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm

lonix wrote:cant wait till i can get these plans, im constantly running out of quota but i cant afford to spend more
Appreciate your patience on this as we could update once available.

Bellag
Exetel Staff
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by Bellag » Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 pm

As these new lower price plans are so very competitively priced we simply can’t offer access to them and the valuable benefits of ANYTIME downloads, FREE uploads, short 12 MONTH contract and competitive phone call rates without the phone line rental bundling requirement.

We do hope you understand Exetel's view point on this and we look forward to keeping you on as a happy customer on a competitively priced plan.

However, if you still wish to churn away from Exetel. You will need to arrange this with a provider of your choice. You will need to keep the service active with Exetel until they takeover.

User avatar
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 pm

maddanno wrote:I see that finally there are new plans available in the members area. But is it now mandatory to swap my phone service to Exetel? I can't see any option to keep my current provider (Telstra) with whom I wish to stay. I am unwilling to switch to exetel as my landline provider. Is there any way I can upgrade to the current 500GB plan in the members area without doing this?
Bellag wrote:As these new lower price plans are so very competitively priced we simply can’t offer access to them and the valuable benefits of ANYTIME downloads, FREE uploads, short 12 MONTH contract and competitive phone call rates without the phone line rental bundling requirement.

We do hope you understand Exetel's view point on this and we look forward to keeping you on as a happy customer on a competitively priced plan.
This is disheartening.

As a new customer, users have the clear option to select any of the "ANYTIME downloads, FREE uploads and 12 MONTH contracts" plans, specifically *without* phone line rental. There is a clear option for this in Step 3 of http://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/adsl#standalone.

So clearly, Exetel *can* offer these features without the phone line rental bundling requirement to new users. But, as has been the unfortunate point of all the previous discussions for many months now, it has become clear that Exetel have either not been able to, or have refused to pursue, the ability to provide such plans for existing customers.

So, maddanno. I think the full answer to your first question is that your only viable options are to either bundle your landline (which you have stated you are unwilling to do) or terminate your current service and then apply as a "new" customer. However doing the latter will incur about 2 weeks of downtime (among other potential failings, such as the non-guarantee of an ADSL2+ port in your exchange, loss of past member facilities features, etc).
maddanno wrote:If not please advise me on the correct procedure to churn away from your service to another provider that can meet my future needs.
Bellag wrote:However, if you still wish to churn away from Exetel. You will need to arrange this with a provider of your choice. You will need to keep the service active with Exetel until they takeover.
Since you currently have phone with Telstra, I wonder if your current ADSL2+ is provided via AAPT infrastructure? I'm *greatly* behind in the technology nowadays, but in the past, such infrastructure did not allow for so called "fast" churns.

However, as stated, the new provider will be the one that will be aware of the changeover procedures. You should ask them to do a service check on your current phone number and they should be able to confirm how seamlessly they can take ownership of the ADSL codes that are on the line, and whether they can reprovision ADSL2+ under their plans without bundling or disrupting the Telstra provided voice service.

One final point that I have learnt from Exetel's handling of mobile phone port outs: follow up with an email to Exetel (billing or provisioning) after the switchover has been completed so that they are aware that the service has been switched over and so that they don't erroneously charge for "active" service that have actually been ported away. In the case of mobile port outs they have previously admitted glitches that prevent the automatic recognition of such porting.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

User avatar
nicoler
Exetel Staff
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm
Location: COLOMBO

Re: Change Plan vs New Customer Pricing

Post by nicoler » Fri May 23, 2014 4:05 pm

As a long time loyal customer of Exetel I find your response patronizing and Arrogant.

Of course you can offer access to your "lower price" plans without line rental, just as you do...To new customers. Everyday.
I have yet to find 1 ISP that does not have the benefit of ANYTIME downloads. LMAO!
FYI A majority of ISPs don't count uploads either.

If I go away away for 1-2 month, came back and signed up as a new customer, I get the 500GB for $49.99 with no bundling. So what you say is just the typical scripted spindoctor lie. (Also 12 months is not a short contract, 1 month is a short contract 6 months is a medium contract.....12+ months....a long contract)

Why are you treating your existing, long time and loyal customers with such disdain?

Personally I have found your products good and reliable but your ridiculous upgrade policies and price discrimination and blatant arrogance toward existing customers leaves no choice to churn away.
We are sorry you feel that way. We are certainly not trying to be patronizing and sorry if the response came off that way.

Just for your information: our wholesale suppliers focus on new subscription because for every new subscription they add on to their network it helps them reduce the cost and provide better plans and pricing. Generally the better plans and pricing are for new customers only because that’s what they count towards their own targets and KPI’s. However we tried very hard to negotiate a deal with them and managed to be able to pass on our website pricing to our existing customers. Our primary goal was to get better pricing for our existing loyal customers and we managed to achieve that. However we do need to bundle up the line rental to be able to offer this great value plan to our existing customer base. The phone line rental offers amazing value and call rates and one of the best plans in the market so we have been having a lot of take up on the plan.
Our customers are the heart of this company. Without them we wouldn’t be where we are today and we will always strive to provide the best possible plan at the lowest possible cost.
We would love to keep you on as a customer and we hope you understand where we are coming from as well.

Post Reply