3 Strikes Law

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Boysiefamily

3 Strikes Law

Post by Boysiefamily » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

I am a computer programmer and as such have to get large modules of code from some of my collegues across the world, which I use Bittorrent to download as its the easiest and quickest way to get such large amounts of data. Speaking to an associate in Sydney recently, they mentioned that the government was changing the law, not passing a new law, that, effectively, said if your IP is detected even going to a website that hosts torrent files, you will loose internet privileges after 3 strikes.

I have been using bittorrent for this and other things for many years and never received a copyright infringement notice from Exetel, which I assume means I'm not doing anything wrong, but I wanted to check what Exetel's position on this law would be and if they could give me/us more information about this. In my research, I think my friend was over-stating the fear, but there is some validity in what he was saying.

I also, vaguely, remember Exetel setting up a server for things like recent games being released or Linux distros etc, to host, relatively locally, so that if I was to - for example - buy Call of Duty on Steam, I would be able to download it from the Exetel server rather than the US. Is this still happening and if so, can I/we get some more information about connecting to it and what is hosted.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: 3 Strikes Law

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

It's about copyright, otherwise known as a legalised monopoly. Any proposal would be based on copyright law, not on transmission techniques. The trouble is that the AG, and politicians in general, have the technical background of eight year olds, and tend to speak in generalities. The reporting journalists are no better; in my experience, worse. The monopolists, as always, are after maximising their prices.

Too much undisputed legitimate material is distributed by bit torrent, such as Linux distros, Office software, etc. When the detail comes out I'm sure that the draftsmen will spell out a copyright move clearly enough. They may want some media oriented sites blocked, but the servers you and I use would not be included.

One day they will realise it is futile.

[PS] Take a look at the proxy tab in Deluge preferences.......

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am

Also, you might want to change your forum username/handle unless you meant to use what looks like your phone number and/or are happy to have it made public?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Here you go, it's been leaked - http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/u ... yright.pdf

A wish list from the copyright holders.