Anti Piracy Scheme the govt is implementing

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
LindaB

Anti Piracy Scheme the govt is implementing

Post by LindaB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Just read an article in the news about the Anti Piracy scheme our govt is putting in place to stop piracy in Australia. http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin ... 7240298973

Can you tell us if Exetel is going to join with the 3 bigger ISP's in this & just how they detect illegal usage. How will they detect what a customer is doing, is our other web usage also looked at & can they see what websites are visited? Would be helpful if you could explain how they are going to detect piracy & internet usage & how it will affect those involved so your customers can educate themselves on the process to protect themselves from prosecution. I understand it is a big issue here because we are so far behind in being able to access TV series & movies when the USA gets them way before us as well as added cost for software just because of where we live.

kyteflyer

Re: Anti Piracy Scheme the govt is implementing

Post by kyteflyer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am

I'd imagine that Exetel won't have a choice. The federal government is going to force the issue with all ISPs, and although they say its not about piracy, its about security, I would challenge that.

I've subscribed to both Netflix AU/US/UK (with uFlix), and Stan (I won't touch Presto, its as pathetic and expensive as Foxtel, and Quickflix wants more money to see latest stuff, on top of the $10 you pay for their regular stuff). So far I have been enjoying a good stream from both, and I'm seeing the shows I want to see. I may cancel Stan before the trial finishes, I keep hoping there will be an appleTV app... but no... not yet. Oh well, airplay works.

The stream content may not be the latest, but by the time I get through them, the latest wont be, anymore, and they will be on board. I think people are expecting too much from the streaming services, really... and the thing about poor us, we cant see it at the same time as the USA... well, you know, thats always been how it is. You take a risk if you're going to pirate stuff, and people *are* getting notices here and there from ISPs like TPG...

I'm really happy with my streams, in fact I've had to slow down or I'm going to end up going through my entire data allowance every month, just on streaming TV and movies. FTA? Whats that? :)

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:11 pm

My concern is about how much of our activities will the govt be able to see on the net rather than piracy, with the newly available options that are affordable for streaming there is no reason for ppl to download illegally. I cancelled Foxtel & signed up to Netflix when it started up but I just don't like the idea of "big brother is watching". I appreciate that they want to be able to detect terrorism which will be under the guise of "security" & prevent piracy but just how much other activity will they monitor using the same technology.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Every ISP will naturally obey the law from its commencement. The bill itself can be read at http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/dow ... tion%2Fpdf

Monitoring of online activity from your IP will be thorough and I leave you to consider what sort of a picture can be constructed about those using your IP address. Look up 187AA.

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:08 am

Thanks Dazzled
I also just read the outcome of one of the court decisions today on the new piracy laws & it is the same process used overseas where they monitor download programs such as Bit torrent & web sites that support it. The costs involved are not going to be the ISP's responsibility which means our bills do not increase due to it & that can only be a good thing for ISP's & their customers. I understand it better now as I have a friend who works in the training dept of the FBI & he explained how it works in the USA so I am guessing we will be using a similar system here because it works so well over there.
It means our privacy will not really be affected (which was my main concern) & it will only be those who share illegal content being targeted once their IP is picked up through torrents. Call me paranoid lol but I am sure that many others feel the same about their privacy on the net regardless of their activities.
I am glad that the ISP's are not responsible for monitoring it because it puts them in a difficult place between copyright holders & clients not to mention the costs involved in doing so.
Thanks again for your help.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:50 am

I think you had better re-read the bill. Your activity, in my personal view, won't be private at all. It goes further than copyright enforcement.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

Dazzled wrote:I think you had better re-read the bill. Your activity, in my personal view, won't be private at all. It goes further than copyright enforcement.
What you said.

csouter

Post by csouter » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi, LindaB,

May I suggest you do a Google search on VPN and/or TOR?

Here are some URLs you might find useful:

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-s ... your-needs

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/fi ... oviders-3/

http://lifehacker.com/what-is-tor-and-s ... 1527891029

LifeHacker has lots of very useful articles on protecting your privacy on the net; I think you may find lots of
interesting and informative material, just by browsing the site.
Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, NSW, Australia)