Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversion

Bundled telephone and Wireline services

Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversion

Postby casio7131 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 pm

As I understand it, once ADSL/POTS in disconnected, NBN is usually connected quite quickly (within hours); however, porting your telephone onto NBN/VOIP can be hit and miss (some people take 1 day, some take 5 weeks!) - talking to my brother, it's been ~1 week with a home phone that does not actually ring (but to callers, it just seems to ring out). Thus, I'd like to the existing phone number active (in some way) during the ADSL -> NBN conversion - if that is indeed possible (I'm not too concerned about any extra cost this may involve).

My current thoughts:
* Maybe I can use voicemail or call diversion as a workaround? Would this be possible?
* Would I be able to enable voicemail/call diversion during the NBN conversion? (Or does the NBN/VOIP number need to be active before I can enable voicemail/call diversion?)
* Or maybe I need to get a temporary number? (Not really a solution I like though)
* Any other ideas?
casio7131

Re: Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversio

Postby KavindaS on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 pm

casio7131 wrote:As I understand it, once ADSL/POTS in disconnected, NBN is usually connected quite quickly (within hours); however, porting your telephone onto NBN/VOIP can be hit and miss (some people take 1 day, some take 5 weeks!) - talking to my brother, it's been ~1 week with a home phone that does not actually ring (but to callers, it just seems to ring out). Thus, I'd like to the existing phone number active (in some way) during the ADSL -> NBN conversion - if that is indeed possible (I'm not too concerned about any extra cost this may involve).

My current thoughts:
* Maybe I can use voicemail or call diversion as a workaround? Would this be possible?
* Would I be able to enable voicemail/call diversion during the NBN conversion? (Or does the NBN/VOIP number need to be active before I can enable voicemail/call diversion?)
* Or maybe I need to get a temporary number? (Not really a solution I like though)
* Any other ideas?

* Your Existing service is with Optus and therefore we cannot activate Voicemail / diversion during the porting process.
* Getting a temporary Voip number is possible.
* If you need more information, let me know and I will arrange a call from the sales department.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby casio7131 on Mon May 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Well after doing some investigating on whether I could keep the phone number active by going elsewhere (Optus seems to be 10 bus days outage, Telstra ? - didn't want an overpriced 24mon contract), I've stayed with Exetel and did the application on Friday over the phone.

I just got an SMS indicating that approximate activation date (broadband) was 8th May. However, the service number given in the SMS is incorrect (it ends in 6270). Now I'm sure that I stated that I wanted to keep the same phone number, but from the SMS it seems maybe something has gone wrong (I do not want to lose the existing phone number!).

Can someone from Exetel please check that the NBN phone number remains the same?

NOTE: From my order confirmation email, it gives my correct username (my phone number) and gives customer ref = 190869.
casio7131

Postby KavindaS on Mon May 01, 2017 9:49 pm

casio7131 wrote:Well after doing some investigating on whether I could keep the phone number active by going elsewhere (Optus seems to be 10 bus days outage, Telstra ? - didn't want an overpriced 24mon contract), I've stayed with Exetel and did the application on Friday over the phone.

I just got an SMS indicating that approximate activation date (broadband) was 8th May. However, the service number given in the SMS is incorrect (it ends in 6270). Now I'm sure that I stated that I wanted to keep the same phone number, but from the SMS it seems maybe something has gone wrong (I do not want to lose the existing phone number!).

Can someone from Exetel please check that the NBN phone number remains the same?

NOTE: From my order confirmation email, it gives my correct username (my phone number) and gives customer ref = 190869.

I have checked and I refer to the ticket reference number 11517466. The number ending with ......270 is just a service number assigned to the NBN service, where all the router config credentials will be created based on that. However I can see the telephone number ending with ........138, has been requested as a PSTN to VOIP and the number will remains as it is. You will be informed by our provisioning department during the conversion process.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby casio7131 on Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Thank you for checking that.
casio7131

Postby casio7131 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Just a late followup on my NBN conversion.
* 8/5 NBN activated
* 16/5 VOIP conversion

So the phone was down for ~9 days, which wasn't too bad.
casio7131

Postby rehanj on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

casio7131 wrote:Just a late followup on my NBN conversion.
* 8/5 NBN activated
* 16/5 VOIP conversion

So the phone was down for ~9 days, which wasn't too bad.

I have checked and can see your VOIP service currently configured on your modem and operational, we are happy to hear that all services are now functional. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, please let us know if any further assistance can be provided.
rehanj
Exetel Staff

Return to Telephone issues