Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversion

Bundled telephone and Wireline services

Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversion

Postby casio7131 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 pm

As I understand it, once ADSL/POTS in disconnected, NBN is usually connected quite quickly (within hours); however, porting your telephone onto NBN/VOIP can be hit and miss (some people take 1 day, some take 5 weeks!) - talking to my brother, it's been ~1 week with a home phone that does not actually ring (but to callers, it just seems to ring out). Thus, I'd like to the existing phone number active (in some way) during the ADSL -> NBN conversion - if that is indeed possible (I'm not too concerned about any extra cost this may involve).

My current thoughts:
* Maybe I can use voicemail or call diversion as a workaround? Would this be possible?
* Would I be able to enable voicemail/call diversion during the NBN conversion? (Or does the NBN/VOIP number need to be active before I can enable voicemail/call diversion?)
* Or maybe I need to get a temporary number? (Not really a solution I like though)
* Any other ideas?
casio7131

Re: Keeping phone number active during ADSL -> NBN conversio

Postby KavindaS on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 pm

casio7131 wrote:As I understand it, once ADSL/POTS in disconnected, NBN is usually connected quite quickly (within hours); however, porting your telephone onto NBN/VOIP can be hit and miss (some people take 1 day, some take 5 weeks!) - talking to my brother, it's been ~1 week with a home phone that does not actually ring (but to callers, it just seems to ring out). Thus, I'd like to the existing phone number active (in some way) during the ADSL -> NBN conversion - if that is indeed possible (I'm not too concerned about any extra cost this may involve).

My current thoughts:
* Maybe I can use voicemail or call diversion as a workaround? Would this be possible?
* Would I be able to enable voicemail/call diversion during the NBN conversion? (Or does the NBN/VOIP number need to be active before I can enable voicemail/call diversion?)
* Or maybe I need to get a temporary number? (Not really a solution I like though)
* Any other ideas?

* Your Existing service is with Optus and therefore we cannot activate Voicemail / diversion during the porting process.
* Getting a temporary Voip number is possible.
* If you need more information, let me know and I will arrange a call from the sales department.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to Telephone issues