OCV200 do not send my number on PSTN calls

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
hohum

OCV200 do not send my number on PSTN calls

Post by hohum » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

I've spent about 2 hours trying to make my Billion 7401VGP-M router not send it's number when dialing via PSTN but I just can't work it out. It looks to me like it's impossible? Is this an option I can ask Exetel for? i.e. when I call people, I don't want the number to show in their caller ID. I couldn't even find where I'd control the PSTN line service via my account login :(

(further tech info: I have programmed my VoIP dial plan including this: x.T@pstn - this routes all calls via the Optus PSTN circuit. Prepending with <:*67> just makes it fail, as does the option to make calls anonymous)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: OCV200 do not send my number on PSTN calls

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

You can override the permanent CND status on a per call basis, by entering the override code 1832 before dialling a telephone number.

There are some situations in which your phone number will be presented even if your CND is blocked or you have a silent number. Your phone number will always be provided when calls are made to Emergency Service Numbers from your phone line. It will also always be presented to other carriers and Internet service providers on a per call basis to allow them to provide services to you (eg. to connect your telephone call to a customer on their network or provide your Internet service).
People with caller ID displays may assume you are a telemarketer and not answer the call.

hohum

Post by hohum » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Dazzled wrote:
You can override the permanent CND status on a per call basis, by entering the override code 1832 before dialling a telephone number.

There are some situations in which your phone number will be presented even if your CND is blocked or you have a silent number. Your phone number will always be provided when calls are made to Emergency Service Numbers from your phone line. It will also always be presented to other carriers and Internet service providers on a per call basis to allow them to provide services to you (eg. to connect your telephone call to a customer on their network or provide your Internet service).
People with caller ID displays may assume you are a telemarketer and not answer the call.
OK - so I have a rule on voip dial plan: x.T@pstn which should explain itself. What it says is send all numbers via PSTN. If I put <:1832>x.T@pstn and I want to ring 1800000000 it'll then dial 18321800000000. What I want is to not have to dial 1832 before the number - it's a titanic pain in the bum.

I accept that people might not answer calls from numbers that don't identify themselves but in reality many important numbers do not and so it's a risk that I'm just plain willing to take.

Why do I want to do this? Glad you asked.

My PSTN line will become my fax number. My fax number will answer after 10 rings, no message, no anything. But I want to call OUT via the fax number because of the cheaper call rates. Are you feeling me? (if you are, stop it :) ). i.e. I don't want the outside world to use my PSTN line number, I want them to continue callling in via VoIP.

If this were a plain PSTN line with Optus, could I have them block number sending from the line? If so, then could I also get Exetel to do it for me? I'm asking because I can't get my stupid Billion to do it - I don't think they ever anticipated that people would want to use it like that. If anyone knows how to massage the billion into honoring anonymous calls given that what I've quoted above no work, then I'm all ears (or in this case, eyes). Cheers.

slave1

Post by slave1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:57 pm

hohum wrote:But I want to call OUT via the fax number because of the cheaper call rates. Are you feeling me? (if you are, stop it :) ). i.e. I don't want the outside world to use my PSTN line number, I want them to continue callling in via VoIP.
I know you're using the 7401VGP-M but I have been able to do this with the 7404VGP-M if it's any help (outbound via PSTN, inbound via VoIP):

- You need 2 cables [split] from wall to router, one unfiltered directly to ADSL socket, the other filtered to line socket
- Phone is plugged into 1 of 2 VoIP socket (port 1 for me)
- Both VOIP & PSTN calls can then be made/received via the one phone

And no, I'm not feeling you! :twisted: :!: