Phone Line not functioning properly

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
adrian75

Phone Line not functioning properly

Post by adrian75 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi , I recently purchased a new home phone thinking there was something wrong with my old phone but ive discovered now that it looks like the line is faulty. I am able to get a dial tone and make outgoing calls but when i try ringing it rings once then gets cut off. I've tried calling from different mobile phones and it acts the same, one ring then cuts off. Can someone look into this please?

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Re: Phone Line not functioning properly

Post by rukshani » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 pm

I have passed this on to a technical support supervisor who will assist you on this shortly.

adrian75

Post by adrian75 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Okays. This is the latest . I tested the line with nothing else on it ie. just the phone connected directly into wall socket(no filter,no modems,no foxtel). The result is the same , rings once then gets cut off.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm

adrian75 wrote:Okays. This is the latest . I tested the line with nothing else on it ie. just the phone connected directly into wall socket(no filter,no modems,no foxtel). The result is the same , rings once then gets cut off.

Would you be able to disconnect all telephony equipment and contact eXetel on 0280301000 (Option 2) to run a line test . I have created a ticket (Ticket ID: 4306078) , Please refer this when you call in :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

adrian75

Post by adrian75 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi, when you say disconnect all telephony equipment does that include the landline phone? Did you want me to disconnect everything from the wall sockets and call exetel from a mobile phone?

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:30 am

adrian75 wrote:Hi, when you say disconnect all telephony equipment does that include the landline phone? Did you want me to disconnect everything from the wall sockets and call exetel from a mobile phone?
You need to unplug everything that is connected to the telephone socket. Inducing phone, filters etc.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm

udara wrote:Would you be able to disconnect all telephony equipment and contact eXetel on 0280301000 (Option 2) to run a line test.
I have to chuckle when I see this. It is like saying "close your eyes, then open them when I give you the signal"...

I think I've seen other users in the same process who disconnect everything except the phone line, ring Exetel on the landline to confirm that you are ready for your line to be tested, then hang up and disconnect the phone as well, leaving everything disconnected for the next, what, 15 minutes? an hour? Not sure. If so, this is a much better procedure than expecting people to use a mobile.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:47 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I think I've seen other users in the same process who disconnect everything except the phone line, ring Exetel on the landline to confirm that you are ready for your line to be tested, then hang up and disconnect the phone as well, leaving everything disconnected for the next, what, 15 minutes? an hour? Not sure. If so, this is a much better procedure than expecting people to use a mobile.
The last time I needed Exetel to do a line test (a while ago now) they offered to call me on my mobile in 5 minutes (or so). I thought that was good service!

adrian75

Post by adrian75 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi, Exetel has run a line test and said that everything is fine within the network but now the problem has gotten worse. I've even got a technician in to look and the wiring in the building to the MDF and he said its all good.

Problem 1 is still there : Can't receive incoming calls. Line gets cut off after one ring.

Problem 2 : Internet connection drops of when receiving incoming calls.

The funny thing is i can still make outgoing calls from the landline with not a single problem.

Things i have tried :

- Removed everything from wall outlets and made a call to landline. Same thing, get 1 ringing tone and then cuts off with lots of static noise.
- Changed line filters at phone base - no difference

Can exetel pls run further tests??

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Can exetel pls run further tests??
I believe you have been in contact with one of my colleagues. As requested please let us know to test the line in the isolation.

adrian75

Post by adrian75 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello, Yes tests are in progress now. Will wait anxiously for outcome.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello, Yes tests are in progress now. Will wait anxiously for outcome.
As per the conversation I had with you, I have forwarded the test results to our wholesale supplier for further investigations. We will notify you with further updates as soon as possible :)

Your case reference is 4355313.