Dead line - another one in Newcastle

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
Tendrils

Dead line - another one in Newcastle

Post by Tendrils » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 pm

I have a story similar to viewtopic.php?f=289&t=38853.

I also live in Newcastle (in the city, not in the area).

I applied for a new connection (phone line and ADSL) to my apartment - application submitted 5/11.
Connection date (after a few days) was given as 18/11.
As with xywolap, my previous connections with Exetel have been activated a day or two early.
Since I live in an apartment building, I was advised access to the building/MDF may be required. I cleared this with the building manager, who is fortunately available on Friday mornings anyway.
I receive no call to arrange access.
Upon arriving home after work on Fri 18/11, I check the line - no dial tone, no ADSL sync. There is 'power' to the line (the LCD screen on a basic handset which is connected to the line shows a display).
I checked Exetel Application Status which says my line is activated.
Clearly, it isn't, so I call Exetel support and lodge a fault ticket.

Monday, I receive an SMS stating my fault is resolved.
I get home. No dial tone, no ADSL sync.

I call up - speak to a person this time to lodge a fault, advise that clearly the tech needs to come to the building, hoping the message can be passed on to the technicians to ensure the fault is not 'resolved' a second time in the same way.

Automated SMSes from Exetel are received - no change in progress, though - a technician will contact me to arrange a suitable time.

I call Exetel support (Tue 22/11) - the support ticket states I was unsuccessfully attempted to be contacted.
The mobile number on the ticket is completely munched - why it wasn't taken from my account I have no idea - so I correct it, and supply a second mobile contact number.

Another day passes.
I call Exetel support (Wed 22/11) - the support ticket states I was unsuccessfully attempted to be contacted, which - in my opinion - is a flat out lie, as both mobile numbers have voicemail and I have no missed calls nor voicemail.

Another day passes.
I call Exetel support (4:45pm Thursday 24/11) - the rep advises the ticket status is that I will receive a call before the close of business 'today'.
Being 4:45pm, I state this is highly unlikely, and ask for the rep to gather some more information.
He gets back on the line, advising the next available appointment date is 28/11, offering morning or afternoon. Luckily, I live close to work and can get away whenever I choose, so advise that as soon as possible is suitable, whenever that is.

So hopefully this saga is almost over.
I don't know who's to blame - honestly, I assume I'm getting the correct information as far as Exetel is aware, but I'm getting screwed by the telephone technicians (Optus?), who are either incompetent or deliberately lazy.

For the record, I haven't yelled at the Exetel phone reps, as they've always been helpful and friendly, and it's not their fault I'm getting a raw deal.

I doubt anything different will come from posting this, but hopefully someone with some influence hears my story and some improvement is made in the process.

xywolap

Re: Dead line - another one in Newcastle

Post by xywolap » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Tendrils wrote: For the record, I haven't yelled at the Exetel phone reps, as they've always been helpful and friendly, and it's not their fault I'm getting a raw deal.
I hope I am not put through the trials you have endured?
Surely a line check is possible before Exetel posts the "completed" message??
I also agree, Exetel are usually faultless which makes me wonder about other sources not holding up their part of the deal on their behalf?
Good luck with getting it sorted soon? :roll:

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Tendrils wrote:I have a story similar to viewtopic.php?f=289&t=38853.

I also live in Newcastle (in the city, not in the area).

I applied for a new connection (phone line and ADSL) to my apartment - application submitted 5/11.
Connection date (after a few days) was given as 18/11.
As with xywolap, my previous connections with Exetel have been activated a day or two early.
Since I live in an apartment building, I was advised access to the building/MDF may be required. I cleared this with the building manager, who is fortunately available on Friday mornings anyway.
I receive no call to arrange access.
Upon arriving home after work on Fri 18/11, I check the line - no dial tone, no ADSL sync. There is 'power' to the line (the LCD screen on a basic handset which is connected to the line shows a display).
I checked Exetel Application Status which says my line is activated.
Clearly, it isn't, so I call Exetel support and lodge a fault ticket.

Monday, I receive an SMS stating my fault is resolved.
I get home. No dial tone, no ADSL sync.

I call up - speak to a person this time to lodge a fault, advise that clearly the tech needs to come to the building, hoping the message can be passed on to the technicians to ensure the fault is not 'resolved' a second time in the same way.

Automated SMSes from Exetel are received - no change in progress, though - a technician will contact me to arrange a suitable time.

I call Exetel support (Tue 22/11) - the support ticket states I was unsuccessfully attempted to be contacted.
The mobile number on the ticket is completely munched - why it wasn't taken from my account I have no idea - so I correct it, and supply a second mobile contact number.

Another day passes.
I call Exetel support (Wed 22/11) - the support ticket states I was unsuccessfully attempted to be contacted, which - in my opinion - is a flat out lie, as both mobile numbers have voicemail and I have no missed calls nor voicemail.

Another day passes.
I call Exetel support (4:45pm Thursday 24/11) - the rep advises the ticket status is that I will receive a call before the close of business 'today'.
Being 4:45pm, I state this is highly unlikely, and ask for the rep to gather some more information.
He gets back on the line, advising the next available appointment date is 28/11, offering morning or afternoon. Luckily, I live close to work and can get away whenever I choose, so advise that as soon as possible is suitable, whenever that is.

So hopefully this saga is almost over.
I don't know who's to blame - honestly, I assume I'm getting the correct information as far as Exetel is aware, but I'm getting screwed by the telephone technicians (Optus?), who are either incompetent or deliberately lazy.

For the record, I haven't yelled at the Exetel phone reps, as they've always been helpful and friendly, and it's not their fault I'm getting a raw deal.

I doubt anything different will come from posting this, but hopefully someone with some influence hears my story and some improvement is made in the process.
I have passed this on to a technical support supervisor who will look in to this issue.

He will soon advise you over it.

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 pm

To be brutally honest - especially now since it's 3pm the day before my scheduled installation date - I doubt anyone can do anything about this.

But thank you all the same.

If I get my phone line and ADSL connected tomorrow I'll be happy - not as happy as I would be if it was connected correctly the first time on 18/11, of course!

I will update this thread whenever there is any further progress.

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Tendrils wrote:To be brutally honest - especially now since it's 3pm the day before my scheduled installation date - I doubt anyone can do anything about this.

But thank you all the same.

If I get my phone line and ADSL connected tomorrow I'll be happy - not as happy as I would be if it was connected correctly the first time on 18/11, of course!

I will update this thread whenever there is any further progress.
Hi,

Could you please PM me your service number or the ticket reference, enabling me to look in to this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:04 pm

stevecJ wrote:Could you please PM me your service number or the ticket reference, enabling me to look in to this for you :?:
Details sent in a PM as requested.

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Tendrils wrote:
stevecJ wrote:Could you please PM me your service number or the ticket reference, enabling me to look in to this for you :?:
Details sent in a PM as requested.
Got the PM. :)

I will arrange one of our support engineers to follow up the Tech Appointment tomorrow and keep you posted.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 pm

I hope tomorrow sees the end of it.

Thanks.

xywolap

Post by xywolap » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I got another connection completed txt today in addition to the one last friday. Investigations are still pending on the dead line and the fault ticket is still live.
Ahhh .... tis good to have patience and understanding.... :D :D :D :D
Hang in there buddy... we will get there... :roll: :roll:

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 am

It's now 10am - with the appointment booked between 8am and 12pm (as far as I'm aware).

I've received no call from the on-site technician, nor from anyone at Exetel.

Currently calling the Exetel Support line...

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Tendrils wrote:It's now 10am - with the appointment booked between 8am and 12pm (as far as I'm aware).

I've received no call from the on-site technician, nor from anyone at Exetel.

Currently calling the Exetel Support line...
I have requested an Exetel engineer to give you an update on this. He will assist you soon.

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 pm

rukshani wrote:I have requested an Exetel engineer to give you an update on this. He will assist you soon.
Don't bother - the on site visit has been completed.

Somehow - after being checked repeatedly and read back to me - my primary mobile number was incorrect.
Fortunately - despite the on-site tech finding it impossible - someone from a Call Centre (on behalf of Exetel, but not an Exetel employee) called my secondary contact number to confirm I was on site.

I then waited for the tech outside the building to ensure everything went smoothly.

As expected, it was a simple case of jumping the phone cables on the MDF in the building - taking all of five minutes including going up to the third floor apartment to confirm I had dial tone and line sync.

I will now be contacting billing to ensure I am only charged from 29/11, not from 18/11 (the initial connection date).

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Tendrils wrote:
rukshani wrote:I have requested an Exetel engineer to give you an update on this. He will assist you soon.
Don't bother - the on site visit has been completed.

Somehow - after being checked repeatedly and read back to me - my primary mobile number was incorrect.
Fortunately - despite the on-site tech finding it impossible - someone from a Call Centre (on behalf of Exetel, but not an Exetel employee) called my secondary contact number to confirm I was on site.

I then waited for the tech outside the building to ensure everything went smoothly.

As expected, it was a simple case of jumping the phone cables on the MDF in the building - taking all of five minutes including going up to the third floor apartment to confirm I had dial tone and line sync.

I will now be contacting billing to ensure I am only charged from 29/11, not from 18/11 (the initial connection date).
Good to know the issue is fixed. I will ask a billing representative to look in to it for you.

Thushari

Post by Thushari » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:06 pm

rukshani wrote:I will now be contacting billing to ensure I am only charged from 29/11, not from 18/11 (the initial connection date).
We have arranged the refund and informed to you with email reference 4621492 . Please respond to same if you have further queries.

Tendrils

Post by Tendrils » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm

I received confirmation of the refund due to 'service issue' at 5:15pm.
Very glad to see that Exetel are quick to resolve issues (when they're completely within your control).

Glad to be back!

PS: current downstream sync is: 22261 kbps :twisted: