Telephone not working, ADSL2 still functional

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
Ale115

Telephone not working, ADSL2 still functional

Post by Ale115 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Starting from yesterday, our telephones don't seem to work anymore. They emit a loud static humming with a continuous beeping. Keying numbers in will emit the relevant sound but it won't actually make any calls. The ADSL2 internet service still functions, but I've noticed that it's much slower than usual.

It was okay the night before yesterday.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Telephone not working, ADSL2 still functional

Post by jokiin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:29 pm

the modem will still work with only one wire of the pair whereas the phone line needs both wires, the static on the line likely indicates it's a line problem anyway

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Ale115 wrote:Starting from yesterday, our telephones don't seem to work anymore. They emit a loud static humming with a continuous beeping. Keying numbers in will emit the relevant sound but it won't actually make any calls. The ADSL2 internet service still functions, but I've noticed that it's much slower than usual.

It was okay the night before yesterday.
Hi,

We need to conduct a line test in order to determine whether it s a line issue or not. Therefore could you please arrange a time frame where you are able to disconnect all the devises from the wall socket so the line test can be run.

You may either give us a call on 0280301000/1300788141 and select option 2 or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the time frame.

Your ticket number is #6015123.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 pm

We've been afflicted with this same problem starting today and have reported it to Exetel Support.
There has been NO change to the infrastructure in our home for over 5 years except a Billion 7300 modem was replaced with a Billion 7800 modem approximately 12 months ago. Telephone and ADSL through Exetel have worked perfectly since 2006 till this afternoon.

The problem:
1. Calls made to 03 9xxx-xxxx: the caller hears a normal ring tone. No phones in the house ring.
3. There is no dial tone on lifting any phone in the house. There is no response if you try to dial out.

I have run the following tests:
1. I have disconnected ALL the phones in the house. The Billion 7800 modem alone is connected and is connecting to the Internet perfectly. In fact this post confirms that internet access via browser is working perfectly and an email from residentialsupport confirms that email is working correctly.
2. I have then disconnected the Billion modem: only one phone handset is connected directly to the point of entry to the home (a plain old Telstra Touchphone 200 - tested and working on my work phone lines). There is no dial tone and calling the home number from our mobile phones results in the home phone not ringing whilst the caller hears only a ring tone.
3. Test #2 is then repeated with the phone handset connected to the point of entry via three different ADSL filters. No dial tone, caller hears unanswered ring tone.
4. I disconnect the Touchphone, reconnect the Biillion 7800 modem and "DSL" and "Internet" lights appear. Normal ADSL internet (including email, browsing and torrents) resumes.
5. Touchphone is reconnected to wall via ADSL filter. No dial tone, no incoming ring, caller hears unanswered ringtone.

I run a speedtest - Speedtest.net confirms ADSL is working:

600-800 kB/sec is normal for us, occasionally on a Sunday morning, I'll hit 950 kB/sec.

Have I missed anything in my testing regime?

I ask as Exetel is telling me in an email that "the infrastructure will need to be checked for possible issues as it is you who is claiming the incident is attributed to the ISP infrastructure <snip> a fee for this service at a total of $220 may be applicable."

Summary: we have data but no voice. Why should fixing this problem cost us $220?

Yuri.
Last edited by Yuri on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 am

Yuri, note Jokiin's post above. There are two wires for each phone service (cables are described in "pairs"). If one of the two wires entering your home is disconnected or broken anywhere on the route to the exchange, you will have a dead phone service. People who ring you will hear various tones, because your phone doesn't generate these sounds. Since your phone doesn't respond they won't get an answer. This will apply to any extension phone on the line as well, so always test on the first phone point. Use a second handset if you have one to rule out a handset fault.

Internet signals will still be detectable by the modem on the other wire alone, but transfer rates will be very poor. You haven't missed any modem test. At this point, don't worry about finding an internet fault; you have a phone fault for your phone provider to attend to.

It's not unknown for the disconnection to have been done by a Telstra tech working on a street pit in your area. They often have to replace corroded jointing systems, and so disconnect multi-pair cables, and then make an error putting the many pairs back together again in the correct order.

Your $$$ worry arises from a Telstra occasional charge. Telstra owns all the street cables. Too many people report slow internet services or dud phone services immediately, without considering whether their own internet gear, or house wiring, or handset may be at fault. A techie then is sent out and finds no fault in Telstra's cabling. Telstra hates the time waste and bills the phone or internet service in these cases only. It has a deterrent affect. Your phone service provider naturally passes it on to you. In plain terms - line faults get fixed for free; non-line problems attract a call-out charge.

Exetel doesn't like customers getting a nasty surprise like this, and so warns you, possibly too bluntly. The support teams, with customer help, will try to establish a line fault before someone is sent out to the line.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 am

You haven't missed any modem test. At this point, don't worry about finding an internet fault; you have a phone fault for your phone provider to attend to.
Thanks, Dazzled, your post makes all this much clearer.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks, Exetel - all fixed: dial tone and voice is back.

And wow! Bonus! ADSL speed has now doubled: never been over 1000kB/sec before!

shoner

Post by shoner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Yuri wrote:Thanks, Exetel - all fixed: dial tone and voice is back.

And wow! Bonus! ADSL speed has now doubled: never been over 1000kB/sec before!

We are glad that everything worked out for you. :D
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal