Lost dial tone corrected after line testing - Twice

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
Gavelar99

Lost dial tone corrected after line testing - Twice

Post by Gavelar99 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 am

All,

Setup: Single phone outlet in the house with a single filter. Cordless phone and Netgear DGN2200 connected.

I have had an unusual experience over the last couple of weeks. On two seperate occasions I have had no dial tone on my exetel phone line (ADSL2 was working on the first of these occurences, it wasn't working on the second). I conducted my own isolation tests and eqipment cycling but no change. I then called Exetel support (on my mobile) who conducted line tests both with and without my equipment connected and they said that the line was "out of specification". On both occasions I arranged for a tech to be sent to investigate. On both occasions I checked the phone immediatly after calling and the dialtone had returned and my modem was able to sync. I then obviously cancelled the tech call out.

The first time I thought it a coincidence, the second I thought "what the ?".

Currently have fully functioning phone and internet so no complaints about the service. Just have no idea why "line testing" (what ever it is that they do) would correct some existing fault on my line. Anyone have any ideas.

udara
Exetel Staff

Re: Lost dial tone corrected after line testing - Twice

Post by udara » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 am

Would you please be able to PM me your service number so that I can have a look at this ? :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Gavelar99

Post by Gavelar99 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 am

PM Sent

peteru

Post by peteru » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 am

I had a similar experience years ago, when I was with Telstra. Eventually they tracked it down to an issue at the exchange. Apparently a small bit of wire has fallen down on the contacts in the MDF and was intermittently shorting my line. This caused the line to be disconnected by a current limiting protection mechanism. The testing of the line reset this protection and at some time later, it would be triggered again.