Got adsl but no dial tone, just noise

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
daveb

Got adsl but no dial tone, just noise

Post by daveb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:32 pm

I have adsl but no dial tone, just noise. I called 80301000 - line checks failed with splitters and filters removed from wall (and handset too I think, ie nothing plugged in at all) and I was told a technician could be sent out to check the lines up to my block of flats. I was told if they found no fault I would be charged a $200+ 'penalty' and still have the problem.

I was not too happy with this exhorbitant gamble being presented as my only recourse. Any suggestions of how best to deal with this?

LodumS
Exetel Staff

Re: Got adsl but no dial tone, just noise

Post by LodumS » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:31 pm

daveb wrote:I have adsl but no dial tone, just noise. I called 80301000 - line checks failed with splitters and filters removed from wall (and handset too I think, ie nothing plugged in at all) and I was told a technician could be sent out to check the lines up to my block of flats. I was told if they found no fault I would be charged a $200+ 'penalty' and still have the problem.

I was not too happy with this exhorbitant gamble being presented as my only recourse. Any suggestions of how best to deal with this?
Hi Deveb,

Kindly note that a fee for service will only be applied if the technician confirms no issues up to the A side of the main distribution frame of your apartment building. Unfortunately the technician is not able to test or make any changes to the connection beyond this point since the infrastructure is not owned or maintained by the supplier :( .

You can always refer to your building management and get their confirmation of their side of the infrastructure before escalating the matter to the supplier.

Please contact Exetel once you are confident to escalate the service fault to the supplier. Your reference number is 7736532.

daveb

Post by daveb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks I understood all that, though I had yet to investigate whether the property management would have similar conditions and worst case I might even be looking at two failures to rectify and two 'penalites' for said failures.

Anyway I went away for a couple of days and problem now seems to have repaired itself! Hmm.

daveb

Post by daveb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 am

I may have spoken too soon, phone working but line frequently noisy

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Post by lasithah » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:19 pm

daveb wrote:I may have spoken too soon, phone working but line frequently noisy
Hi daveb,

The issue is as same as before, if it needs to be investigated please contact Exetel quoting reference number 7771030 :) we can further test and escalate if required.

daveb

Post by daveb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:36 pm

In case anyone cares, FYI, it turns out yes, would have to pay a technician $90 to check the lines inside the building. So I have two companies both holding me financially responsible if it's the other's fault. It's most likely on the network but exetel charge the larger penalty of $200+ if I gamble wrong. Worst case scenario neither find a fault and both want to be paid.

daveb

Post by daveb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 pm

I can see in another user's post that there could be a further pitfall viewtopic.php?f=284&t=40955&p=309275#p309275.

The condition of the line keeps changing; currently completely non-functioning for landline and crippling ADSL speed. If the fault is intermittent and is not detected when the line is checked I will be charged. And yes it seems if I had it checked again and the fault fails to present once again, or the technician fails to identify it for any reason, I would apparently be charged again, ad infinitum.

This is all because the two operators inside and outside the building have no communication. They will each blame the other and each charge me. Neither regards it as their responsibility to actually locate and repair the problem.

3000 views on this and no one has a comment?

d

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 am

Kindly note that we as an ISP are not bound to look into any issues beyond the network boundary point and since you live in a strata the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) would be this point and any issues beyond this would need to be looked into by yourself or the strata management depending on your contract with them.

I believe you have been advised this before.

However since this has been escalated to our Wholesale Supplier already so we will have to wait and see how this goes. Hopefully it is an issue on the Network and is fixed by the technician.

If it is not, you will have to look into the matter further. We will keep you updated daily on the progress of your service issue.

daveb

Post by daveb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Yes, thank you I have been informed of this about 3 times now and tried to make it plain that I already understood it. However I have endeavoured to point out that the ramifications of that situation were untenable and was seeking advice from anyone who could suggest the best way to deal with it, perhaps from another exetel customer.

For anyone interested, here is what has happened so far. I was yesterday told by a caller the exetel fee would be waived. I thanked the caller very much. I later received an SMS saying the fee would be charged afterall unless I could ensure a technician's access to the MDF/NBP. This morning I had to call exetel to tell them I did not know how to do that but would enquire with the RE agent. The staff member said it was highly unlikely the technician would come today, being a holiday (easter monday).

About an hour later I find a telsta technician outside in the street who tells me he is there responding to my issue. Fortunately he knew where the MDF was though I don't think he ever went there. So far so good. A while later he called me on the landline to say the line was fixed but please don't use the phone for the next 10 minutes while he ran a test. He did not call again. So after a couple of hours I assumed he wan't going to call again and I did check the phone. The line noise is certainly improved, ADSL is a decent speed and we can dial out. However with incoming calls the ring is irregular and sometimes cuts out after ringing once. I don't think it is the handset as I have tested the line with another previously, and when the technician called me the ring was perfectly healthy.

I don't know. Perhaps he is still working on it?

daveb

Post by daveb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Now being investigated further, FYI.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 pm

daveb wrote:Now being investigated further, FYI.
As you have gone through the necessary TS, we will see what the field technician would find. Issue is currently being investigated via ticket ref 7811482.

daveb

Post by daveb » Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Update. I'm told a 2nd technician was sent to test the line up to the MDF and found no fault. The condition of the line is unchanged, on incoming calls the ring cuts out after one or two rings. Normally this would suggest the problem is within the flat except that, as I mentioned and reported to extel on the phone, the first technician called me after his work (from somewhere on the street network) and everything worked perfectly THAT TIME ONLY. Normal incoming calls from phones still had the problem. This suggested strongly the fault was higher up the network, not closer to the building (he'd already been to the MDF and left a note on it) or inside the building. Despite this I'm told the 2nd technician checked the lines up to the building/MDF which sounds like he may have simply repeated what the first technician did. I did not receive a test call from the 2nd technician.

I don't know if what I told exetel about the call from the first technician was relayed to Telstra or Optus. Anyway, the fault persists, though the line is a bit less noisy than 6 weeks ago when first reported.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed May 21, 2014 12:36 am

daveb wrote:Update. I'm told a 2nd technician was sent to test the line up to the MDF and found no fault. The condition of the line is unchanged, on incoming calls the ring cuts out after one or two rings. Normally this would suggest the problem is within the flat except that, as I mentioned and reported to extel on the phone, the first technician called me after his work (from somewhere on the street network) and everything worked perfectly THAT TIME ONLY. Normal incoming calls from phones still had the problem. This suggested strongly the fault was higher up the network, not closer to the building (he'd already been to the MDF and left a note on it) or inside the building. Despite this I'm told the 2nd technician checked the lines up to the building/MDF which sounds like he may have simply repeated what the first technician did. I did not receive a test call from the 2nd technician.

I don't know if what I told exetel about the call from the first technician was relayed to Telstra or Optus. Anyway, the fault persists, though the line is a bit less noisy than 6 weeks ago when first reported.
The initial report was for a no dial tone issue which was resolved and then you faced an issue with incoming calls. The 2nd technician was sent out to check that and he has found that calls work at the MDF and he has tagged the MDF as well.

This would generally mean that something internally is causing the current situation given that it has already been confirmed to the network boundary point.

However if you wish for us to investigate this matter further we would recommend basic troubleshooting again before going ahead with another escalation.

daveb

Post by daveb » Sun May 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Actually no. As notified here on April 5, the dial tone issue ceased of it's own accord changing to a state of noisy line and the ring tone cutting out after one or two rings. This was the state the first technician investigated, this was the state the 2nd technician investigated and this is the state it currently remains in. As reported here on May 16 and on the phone to exetel when requesting further investigation, the only time it has ever worked since the initial failure was when the first technician called from somewhere on the network. It rang perfectly and the line was crystal clear. Every other time before or since the problem has persisted. Again, this suggests strongly that the fault is not within the building or between the building and where the first technician called from and that I should not gamble money on the fault being found in the building.

I told you all this but I do not know if the 2nd technician was told this or if he did anything different from what the first technician did. Since I'm told he checked the line up to the MDF it sounds like the same work was repeated, apart from the fact that I was not called by the 2nd technician to establish if the line was clear to my phone.

I have done basic troubleshooting many times including with a new handset. I suppose I will have to call again and ensure clear instructions are given to another technician. If he is again able to call me without a fault we have to work out why no one else can.

daveb

Post by daveb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm

This is the latest on the story for anyone interested among the 9K+ viewers of this thread. Basically there has been a chronic failure to follow specific requests and instructions to effectively investigate the fault on the part of Telstra, and a refusal to deal with it any further by either company. I have to note Exetel has, with some coaxing, come to the party in asking Telstra to reinvestigate it twice and waived the charge to me for Telstra’s failure to find the fault.

To recap:

1. When the first technician checked the lines on April 21 some repairs were made and he called me from somewhere on the network to say it was fixed. The line was clear and phone rang normally.

2. However I soon discovered that for anyone else calling me the line was less noisy but still noisy, and the phone still did not ring normally and never has except that one time. I alerted Exetel that the problem persisted but that the Telstra technician’s successful call very strongly indicated the fault was not inside my block of flats.

3. A bit over 3 weeks later, May 14, a 2nd Telsta tech reported the problem had been investigated again. Regardless of me spelling everything out they went to the MDF on my building, did the same checks as the first tech but they didn’t call me to see if it actually fixed the problem and whether or not they could call successfully like the first guy did.

4. Fed up, I left it for a couple of weeks. I then called Exetel again reminding them to remind Telstra about the first tech’s successful call, that it would be very helpful to identify from where the first tech’s successful call was made and that if another test call to me was not made then they were wasting everyone’s time. I was told the next day, June 4, that a third tech was on his way and to please be on the premises. I waited three hours for him to turn up. Nothing. sure enough, at 6pm I went up to the MDF and found he had been and tagged the MDF, done the same check as the first two guys, not contacted me at all, and left, ignoring, or ignorant of, all instructions and requests.

5. Next day I’m informed Telstra believed it had performed it’s investigation. I pointed out the fundamental ways in which it had not done so, and there had in fact been no point in doing what they did. I was told later that day Telstra was refusing to deal with it any further.

Conclusion: From all that, after 2 months, I am left with a phone line that is somewhat less noisy but cuts out after one ring when people call, which seems like I’m hanging up the line, which is probably worse than having no phone line at all. I am also left with a strong indication that the fault is not inside the building, which Telsta agreed to investigate then didn’t and now refuses to. Why didn’t they refuse in the first place instead of sending out 2 more guys who didn’t do what they were asked? If I ask the strata company to investigate and they do not find the fault they will charge me $90 and I will still have the problem.

My best option now seems to be to abandon the phone line altogether. Trying another provider won’t get around Telstra's lines. If I choose to gamble $90 I’ll be looking at the same option only $90 poorer. After that I suppose I could write to a politician or the Telstra CEO or something, or see if another provider might deal with the problem in some other way.

Note to Exetel. Telstra should not be charging you for their call outs as they did not follow instructions or requests. By the way, when they say it’s now up to me to investigate a possible fault within the building, what will they say if a fault is not found?