MY services number has been re-allocated

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
Mort

MY services number has been re-allocated

Post by Mort » Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Greetings,

When I first switched to Exetel (from Optus cable) I had to go through a process of getting a new phone number (029870xxxx) provisioned on my copper line because number porting wasn't available back then. As I was provisioning a Naked ADSL service, that number was then "lost", but it is still my Exetel account service number.

When the Optus plans came out that had a POTS line again, I had to get a new "fixed line" number (028068xxxx). I was told that the old number was now quarantined and could not be re-used, and was not even available to port to VoIP. Although not an issue as I had never really used it, it was a rather cool number that would have been nice to have.

This month I changed my plan to the Unlimited one, and looking at my Services it has an entry for the original number (029870xxxx) showing as "Pending" (?!?!?)

Thinking perhaps something was about to re-provision that number I tried calling it to see if it happened to connect to my home, but it was answered by someone at Macquarie University. So it is in fact a number that has already been re-allocated to someone again.

I don't know if things are about to get messy, or if someone's phone service (mine or theirs) is about to get screwed up, but is there anything I should do about this, or is it a case of wait and see what (if anything) happens.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: MY services number has been re-allocated

Post by KavindaS » Thu May 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings,

When I first switched to Exetel (from Optus cable) I had to go through a process of getting a new phone number (029870xxxx) provisioned on my copper line because number porting wasn't available back then. As I was provisioning a Naked ADSL service, that number was then "lost", but it is still my Exetel account service number.

When the Optus plans came out that had a POTS line again, I had to get a new "fixed line" number (028068xxxx). I was told that the old number was now quarantined and could not be re-used, and was not even available to port to VoIP. Although not an issue as I had never really used it, it was a rather cool number that would have been nice to have.

This month I changed my plan to the Unlimited one, and looking at my Services it has an entry for the original number (029870xxxx) showing as "Pending" (?!?!?)

Thinking perhaps something was about to re-provision that number I tried calling it to see if it happened to connect to my home, but it was answered by someone at Macquarie University. So it is in fact a number that has already been re-allocated to someone again.

I don't know if things are about to get messy, or if someone's phone service (mine or theirs) is about to get screwed up, but is there anything I should do about this, or is it a case of wait and see what (if anything) happens.
PM me your service number so I will check this with the provisioning department and let you know.

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri May 02, 2014 11:22 am

I have PM'd you my service number

Status is still showing as "Pending" for that number.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Mort wrote:I have PM'd you my service number

Status is still showing as "Pending" for that number.
Thanks and PM received. I have already informed this to the provisioning department. They will update you accordingly.