Telephone dead but Internet still works

Bundled telephone and Wireline services
Yabbie

Telephone dead but Internet still works

Post by Yabbie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello,

Over the last three weeks, my landline has gone from working perfectly to a bit of static, to a lot of static to being dead (no dial tone, nothing). Oddly (to me), my Internet still works albeit a bit slower than usual (lower line sync).

I've done an isolation test and that made no difference.

I've spoke to Exetel and they have escalated to Telstra and a technician is booked (side note - Telstra's fee for an "incorrect" callout is $120, Exetel's is $220, nice little $100 mark up for zero effort!).

My question is, has anyone had this sort of problem before? I find it odd that the service would slowly degrade, I would expect it either works or it doesn't. The line can't be cut (physically) because my Internet still works.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be must appreciated.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Telephone dead but Internet still works

Post by ShaminG » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Yabbie wrote:My question is, has anyone had this sort of problem before? I find it odd that the service would slowly degrade, I would expect it either works or it doesn't. The line can't be cut (physically) because my Internet still works.
Having a working ADSL while the PSTN is not working is not that uncommon. Line get's split into 2 different circuits, one for DSL and for PSTN. Possible that the line card for PSTN in the exchange, open circuit in the distribution or even internal cabling. We will have to wait for technician's findings to tell more on this.

Yabbie

Re: Telephone dead but Internet still works

Post by Yabbie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 pm

ShaminG wrote:Having a working ADSL while the PSTN is not working is not that uncommon. Line get's split into 2 different circuits, one for DSL and for PSTN. Possible that the line card for PSTN in the exchange, open circuit in the distribution or even internal cabling. We will have to wait for technician's findings to tell more on this.
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I just want to make sure as much as possible that it isn't a problem at my end (don't want to be up for $220 for no reason).