Development Proposal for New Exetel Desktop SMS

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services

Re: Development Proposal for New Exetel Desktop SMS

Postby raymond on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:43 am

I think you probably installed wrong program. Exetel SMS for mobile phone can be found below.

http://www.exetel.com.au/files/exeSMS.jar

Would you please install it and let me know if any more problem?
raymond
Exetel Staff

Postby Migishu on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I was trying to install the v2.1 that was posted by smsdeveloper.

I reinstalled the one you posted and it works. It's a little fiddly with Android devices, but it works. To make things easier for Android users, I've put up a simple install/use guide. I don't know how this varies from other devices (Palm, Blackberry, etc), so if the guide is the same and has already been posted, I apologize in advance.

Installing exeSMS on Android devices[/color] - Tested on HTC Hero

• Install Linda File Manager (found on marketplace)
  • Transfer eXeSMS.jar to the root of your memory card
  • In LFM, click on SDCard (memcard size here), then click on eXeSMS.jar.
  • - A dialog box will come up asking you which program to open it in, select Java
  • Select "Yes, ask me again" for all the security warnings that pop up.
  • After a few mins, the program will be installed.
It is recommended that you then put a shortcut to the Java program on your desktop. After that, click on Java > SDCard > eXeSMS. After a min or 2 (first run only), the program will open.

How to use:

• Settings > SMS User Settings - put your API user/pass/Phone in here.
  • - If you have a virtual inbox number, enter that in Settings > Virtual Inbox Number Settings

To send:
  • Compose > Single
  • - Recipients number goes here
  • - Your message goes below
  • - - This is the tricky part. Recipient is currently "highlighted" (if you notice that both words are different colours) and no "Send" button is there. Scroll down with the scroll wheel so "Message" is highlighted, and you'll see the Pick Sender button.

If you have more than 1 sender, select the number you wish to send with. Click Send, and after 30secs, the SMS will be sent.

If you decide you wish to cancel the SMS at this point, hit Options > Back, and you'll be taken back to the SMS Compose screen. You can then either edit or hit back to not use.

It is recommended to hit your Home button rather than to "Exit" the program when you want to leave. The reason for this is so when you hit the Java app shortcut, it will open up your pre-existing eXeSMS session.
Migishu

Postby peter_mcc on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:32 pm

smsdeveloper wrote:Hi,
eXeSMS version 2.1 for Windows..
http://www.exetel.com.au/files/eXeSMS_V ... INDOWS.rar

Please provide us any feedback and suggestions so that we could further improve them... :)
Sorry for the confusion with the links....

How about making it a ZIP file - my dad (reasonably computer literate) didn't know what to do with the RAR file.

Peter
peter_mcc

Postby peter_mcc on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

smsdeveloper wrote:Please provide us any feedback and suggestions so that we could further improve them... :)

In the "old" Rev 1.5 ExeSMS it was possible to type the person's name in the "to" field and it would be looked up in the address book (as long as you got the case correct). How about adding something like that - at the moment I have to click on address book, find the name, double click then type the message.

Peter
peter_mcc

Postby LordS on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 pm

no chance of an .ipa for us iphone users?
LordS

Postby William M on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:37 am

Hi,

At this stage not at the moment specifically for this version though we are looking at other alternatives.

Cheers Will
William M

Postby LordS on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am

thanks for the update.
LordS

Postby smsusr on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Using the new Ver 2.1 today, cos the old one could not work at all.

A couple of points of feedback on the new version.

After sending via Single SMS now it seems to clear the number and the previous message body. Personally I liked that this remained in the window on Ver 1.5 (especially the text).

I thought I would then use the message template to avoid me having to type the message body again, however it keeps saying Error when I try and save a Message Template, something like Error on Saving.
I'm not sure why, the message was under 160 chars, I took out possible punctuation that I thought may effect this, but it still didn't work and it would only save if I had like one sentence in the message.

Is there anyway to a) have it not clear the text on a Single SMS or b) get the message template working.

Another note on the template it would be good if you could give the template a title rather than just showing the first part of the message in the window where you select the template.
smsusr

Postby smsusr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 am

Hi,

A new issue I am having is that I installed the exesms with under an Admin account.
I created shortcuts so other users could access it and it was working okay.
Then when I was logged in as just a Power User, I thought I would change the Alias.
It would not allow me to do this, so I logged off, and logged on as Admin and changed the Alias.
However when I logged back on as a Power User it still only had my old Alias settings.
I temporarily made my Power User account an Admin and relogged in and it had the new settings.
Then I changed it back to a Power User and logged back in and then it told me on opening. Error in connecting to database but worked fine under Admin account.

I think decided to reinstall the Program hoping if I just set up Aliases correctly first time it would all be okay like the first time I ran it. I uninstalled and deleted the folders in C:\Exetel. Worked fine under Admin, but now under Power User account it thinks for a bit and then does not show up anything....

I'm going to try reinstalling again, but if you have any other tips that would be great.

Thanks
smsusr

Postby smsusr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: problems getting exesms to run under Power User account that I was having.

Not sure what I did in the end, but I did a bit more of Changing Groups back and forth, which then resulted in the Error Opening Application (Database Connection Error) to appear again under the Power User account instead of just no response.
I then went to uninstall, (under Power User account) which then failed as I didn't have permissions. So I reinstalled under Admin account, but after doing that for some reason caused it to now work under the Power User account.

So I guess it may also help others to try reinstalling without uninstalling if they are having Error Opening Application errors (Database Connection Error). Note this is re: Ver 2.1 of exesms.

Anyway it works for me for now with my desired aliases now setup, so I'm happy for now except for previously mentioned changes in Single SMS functionality and inability to save Templates.
smsusr

Postby phelum on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Is the 1.5 exeSMS still supposed to work ? My system was fine on Jan 18 but tonight it gets a 403 Forbidden error on startup. I'm hoping the API hasn't changed recently.

If the 1.5 version is rejected now can anyone tell me how to get the API documentation ? I'd like a version that will run with old Windows and no Java.

Edit: I've found the documentation. It's great that it's available.

Thanks,
-- Steven Saunderson
phelum

Postby gs-pro on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm

hehe, was just about to post a link.
Here's a workaround for getting v1.5 going again.
gs-pro

Postby phelum on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 am

gs-pro wrote:hehe, was just about to post a link.
Here's a workaround for getting v1.5 going again.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'm running Apache here so I've setup a dummy page that returns "1.5|". This is necessary because Apache gets all requests sent to 127.0.0.1.

Yes, it's sure a pity the author didn't provide a final release that doesn't check for updates.

Edit: The HTTP response must be "1.5|" rather than just "1.5".

Cheers,
-- Steven Saunderson
phelum

Postby samajama on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

I can not get exesms 2.1 working on Win XP. It installs, but when I want to run it, nothing happens. I associated it with javaw.exe. My Java version is 1.6.0_13.
samajama

Postby William M on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi samajaman,

Confirm you confirm you don't have any firewall blocking the application such as Comodo or Zonealarm and also can I get you to update to 1.6.0_17?

Cheers Will
William M

PreviousNext

Return to SMS via ADSL