Exetel Mobile SMS Application

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services

Re: Exetel Mobile SMS Application

Postby kudabird on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:16 pm

There's a bug in the application. Think I have the latest version (235KB). Under settings, if the virtual mobile number is cleared (there's a 0 in there by default) then the application will fail to launch with an unhandled exception. This is on both Nokia 6233 and E51.

Edit: Actually, in testing I couldn't send from the 6233. Presume that's because it's S40. Should this run on S40? The E51 was OK but that's S60. It would be nice it it worked on S40 based Nokia's.
kudabird

Postby samajama on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 pm

I use exesms in my Nokia E51 without problems. But, it would not work in E71-3. Actually, I can not even complete the installation. Anybody else tried the same?

smsdeveloper wrote:Thank you for your comment jcd :D
There was a problem with the previous link... :oops:

You can find the jar file using below link
http://www.exetel.com.au/files/exeSMS.jar

All feedback and suggestion are welcome...
samajama

Postby smsdeveloper on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi kudabird,
If you don't have any virtual mobile number keep virtual inbox number settings as it is. If you have one then change it. Then it will work fine. :)
smsdeveloper
Exetel Staff

Postby kudabird on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:34 pm

smsdeveloper wrote:Hi kudabird,
If you don't have any virtual mobile number keep virtual inbox number settings as it is. If you have one then change it. Then it will work fine. :)

Did that; maybe some field validation? :wink:

Also, is an S40 compatible version feasible? I'm happy to burn some of my included SMS quota to test. As well as the E51 (S60) I also have 3310c and 6233. 8 cent SMS is cheaper than the 22 cents on our Mobile 1 plans (casual data). And I'm pretty certain the data session KB total is or would be under 60KB so there should be no data charge; though the 60KB side of things is not currently on the per min plans any more but I presume this is still true?
kudabird

Postby vk3xem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Have a look at Colby SMS, it should do the job for you.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM
vk3xem

Postby kudabird on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Some Exetel Mobile SMS feedback following my post a few weeks back:

1. I was able to get Exetel Mobile SMS to work on Nokia S40 based phones; for the benefit of those interested, this was models 3110c and 6233.
2. The problem experienced previously was due to missing certificate (although the application gives no reason for SMS send failure).
3. Could Exetel provide the required certificate on an Exetel site (thanks to ColbyIT for providing it all the same). A link to the certificate could be provided under the SMS menu on the members site, although the certificate itself needs to be on a http site rather than https so you can get to it from your phone browser.
4. The Exit screen is not formatted correctly for screens with lower pixel count such as 128 x 160, with the RHS cut-off.
5. Is it possible to close the internet data connection on the phone after SMS has been sent? In my case, the phones internet data connection icon remains on following send of SMS. I fear that if you inadvertently left the application running the session is still active and you could be up for data charges. (Our phones are on Mobile 1 without data plan; it appears the sending of SMS is below the 60KB session limit before charges kick in but I’d be happier knowing the session is closed following the SMS send.)
6. Can you do anything with the Exit menu? Currently have to select Exit -> Options -> Exit. When selecting Exit, why can’t the two choices on the phone buttons be Exit (L) and Cancel (R)? Get rid of the Options choice or better still, Exit when Exit is selected.
7. Is it possible to auto-select the allow contacts or is this a hard-set phone security feature?
8. There’s no mention of Exetel Mobile SMS on the SMS menu on the members site. Perhaps you could consider adding such a link to a page where one can download the Exetel Mobile SMS Java file and bookmarks to the required certificates etc.
kudabird

Postby invisible comms on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Has anybody worked out a way to authorise the app so you don't have to keep pressing to allow read user data? Also, a way to get around not having a security certificate? I am using it on a Nokia 6120.

Thanks,

Ben Cosier
www.invisiblecommunications.com.au
invisible comms

Postby Bart7010 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

I have the application loaded and working fine on my Nokie E71 - but have a problem.

Every time I go to send an SMS it tells me I have no credit?? Do I need to put settings in someplace so that it knows to bill my Exetel account or do I have to ''buy'' credits in advance?

Not sure what I am doing wrong....

Any suggestions??
Bart7010

Postby William M on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:54 am

Have you registered and put in your API username and password?
William M

Postby Bart7010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I tried to register on the Exetel website but it did not seem to want to let me do it....I got the impression I was on the wrong page.....

Can you provide the link or advise where and how I register?

Once I register, do the SMS's I send automatically bill to my Exetel account or is the API a different account all together?

Also, once I am registered can I install the software and the same API details into my wifes phone so she can use the service or is it one registration per phone?

Sorry about all the questions.....but after a bit of looking I was unable to find much in the way of definitive documentation.

Cheers,

Robert.
Bart7010

Postby Bart7010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Ok - Update....

Managed to get an API set up and my User Facilities are showing me as having the API account. I went into ExeSMS and typed in my password and username for the API account, as well as inputting my mobile number as 'Sender'.

Still telling me I have no credit?

Only thing I can think of is that Exetel need time for their servers to recognise my API account.....has been about 30 minutes since I set it up and still getting a delivery report telling me I have no credit.

Robert.
Last edited by Bart7010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart7010

Postby Gidget on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

Have you authorised your mobile number?
https://www.exetel.com.au/members/send_ ... enders.php

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Bart7010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks Gidget,

I had not done that.....but I have done it now and it is showing as my default number in my account (entered the verification code sent etc....).

Still getting "Insufficient credit amount" after I try to send an SMS.

Robert.
Bart7010

Postby Gidget on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Robert

Perhaps you could try testing Colby SMS on your phone and see if you get the same error
http://home.exetel.com.au/colbyit/

It might help to narrow down the issue.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby ricketyclik on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 am

I've successfully installed the app on my Samsung Java enabled phone. It runs, I've put in my sender number and log in details, which work on my desktop exesms on my pc.

I've tried sending a couple of test messages to myself, but they aren't arriving. The messages also aren't showing up in my sent messages folder in the app. When I hit send I get a brief Delivery Report message with no further details.

Any hints?
ricketyclik

Previous

Return to SMS via ADSL