Not recieving SMS's from Three on HSPA plan

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services
DD32

Not recieving SMS's from Three on HSPA plan

Post by DD32 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm having some difficulty recieving SMS's from a 3 user, They receive my sms's fine (sent via ExeSMS or ColbySMS) however i do not recieve theirs, Telstra, Optus, Virgin they're all ok.. just not 3.. (Edit: Just removed Voda there.. I just realised i dont have anyone i know who is definately on vodaphone)

Is this just me? Has anyone else noticed this?

I've not raised a exetel helpdesk issue yet..
My number: 046621zzzz - HSPA M1 - HA
Their number: 043057xxxx - Three(Prepaid i would assume)

Not sure if voice calls come through either.

Oh, to make it clear, The messages are not delayed, they are simply never recieved.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Not recieving SMS's from Three on HSPA plan

Post by jokiin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:24 pm

was it a new number or an existing number ported in from another provider?

DD32

Post by DD32 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:43 am

Mine is a new number, As of when i joined Exetel on 2009-06-02 (First invoice is E0002279267 if you'd like to glance at the account)
As for their number, not sure, i'll have to ask them next time..

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 am

DD32 wrote:Mine is a new number, As of when i joined Exetel on 2009-06-02 (First invoice is E0002279267 if you'd like to glance at the account)
As for their number, not sure, i'll have to ask them next time..
if it's a new number it shouldn't be an issue, ported numbers can sometimes cause issue if the routes are not setup correctly (an oversimplification but basically that's it)

being a new number you would need your friend on 3 to report the fault with 3 and they will need to look into it, I'm pretty sure you'll find it's a problem on their end if past experience is anything to go by

please post back with any feedback from 3 etc

DD32

Post by DD32 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:36 pm

jokiin wrote:if it's a new number it shouldn't be an issue, ported numbers can sometimes cause issue if the routes are not setup correctly (an oversimplification but basically that's it)
Thats pretty much what i was thinking
jokiin wrote:being a new number you would need your friend on 3 to report the fault with 3 and they will need to look into it, I'm pretty sure you'll find it's a problem on their end if past experience is anything to go by
I'd not be surprised of that myself. To be honest though, I somewhat doubt this person will get off their backside and report it.. Will talk to them though, and pass any feedback on if i get anything.

Cheers for your help :)

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 pm

DD32 wrote:
Actually, I've only just found out that all of the reply SMS's sent to me from Three aren't coming through either.

I'm using ExeSMS from the web interface and have been doing so for many years with no problem. And for all these years people on Three have been able to just hit reply and the SMS comes through to me. Lately though if I send an SMS from the web and they hit reply it just doesn't come through at all. If however they start a new message and send it to me it works fine. Everyone else that I send to on other networks can reply with no problem.

My mobile phone is with Voda.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Aaphid wrote:
DD32 wrote:
Actually, I've only just found out that all of the reply SMS's sent to me from Three aren't coming through either.

I'm using ExeSMS from the web interface and have been doing so for many years with no problem. And for all these years people on Three have been able to just hit reply and the SMS comes through to me. Lately though if I send an SMS from the web and they hit reply it just doesn't come through at all. If however they start a new message and send it to me it works fine. Everyone else that I send to on other networks can reply with no problem.

My mobile phone is with Voda.
Yes, this is happening to me too ... although a friend on a Three pre-paid plan is able to reply to my SMSs (sent via the web or my mobile using a range of programs), my sister on a capped Three plan has had the unable-to-reply problem since November. I've got no idea whether the Three plan makes a difference (why should it?) but it is a differentiator between their two mobile services.

My mobile is with Optus, by the way.

I brought this issue to Exetel's attention before Christmas (see this thread) and Three told Exetel that they couldn't see any problem at their end. I'm still going to do some more troubleshooting but I've been a tad busy over Christmas :)

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

DD32

Post by DD32 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 am

Glad to hear its not just me..

I told my Threee user, And was told to get a Three phone instead :)

Luxyboy

Post by Luxyboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Same thing here I am on HSPA (Optus) and can sms anyone fine.
Friend on three states that my sms's come through hours later and he can't send sms's to me at all.

William M

Post by William M » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 am

Hi guys,

Are you able to inform me of the handsets you are using when replying? (Eg. iPhone, Sony Ericcson K700i, Nokia N97)

Cheers Will

BradM

Post by BradM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 am

I recently had a detailed discussion with a Three user about this issue, but it related to SMSes sent TO that Three user arriving after very long delays. We checked amongst several phone users present and determined that

- SMSes sent by a retail Vodafone pre-paid customer using a Nokia (6300 I think) handset to this Three prepaid user (Nokia high-end smartphone, unsure of model) on various occasions over a period of weeks suffered very long delays. We detected a delay of about 1 week in one case. Some SMSes apparently did not arrive at all, but these might have simply been delayed so long they expired.

- I tested sending the Three user two SMSes from an Exetel Vodafone service (Nokia E63 handset) and with delivery reports turned on. The Three user was with me at the time and received nothing, and I received nothing. The next day, about 20 hours later, I received in quick succession two delivery reports acknowledging that my SMSes of the previous day had been delivered, and the Three user received the two SMSes together at that time.

- a week later I was able to have an SMS conversation with that same Three user with SMSes being delivered instantaneously in both directions.

- that same Three user reported serious and ongoing unreliability and delays in receiving SMSes in general from both Australian and overseas carriers

- the user also reported not receiving Three-originated SMSes notifying of the existence of Three-network voicemail messages awaiting delivery.

Apart from this case we have never experienced this level of problems either sending or receiving SMSes using either the Exetel Vodafone service or our previous Optus service (we have very few Three network correspondents), and our conclusion was that there is something seriously wrong on the Three network, at least from time to time. The Three customer was unwilling to pursue it in detail with Three customer service because they perceived that this would be a difficult path via Three customer "service".

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:10 pm

William M wrote:Hi guys,
Are you able to inform me of the handsets you are using when replying? (Eg. iPhone, Sony Ericcson K700i, Nokia N97)
Cheers Will
OK I've tested this with three different 3 users and the results are always the same, ie, if I send an SMS from ExeSMS and they hit reply and type a new message the message appears sent at their end but is never received at my end. If they initiate a new message and send it to me, I receive it and can then reply to them and they can also reply to me. If I initiate a new SMS from my phone to them they can reply successfully.

This used to work fine and might be coincidental but the problems seemed to start around the same time as Exetel no longer allowed users to enter in anything they liked into the sender field.

Anyway the three different users on 3 are using the following phones:-
Sony Ericsson W910i
Nokia 6280
Samsung F480i

BradM wrote: but it related to SMSes sent TO that Three user arriving after very long delays...
- SMSes sent by a retail Vodafone pre-paid customer using a Nokia
- I tested sending the Three user two SMSes from an Exetel Vodafone service
- the user also reported not receiving Three-originated SMSes notifying of the existence of Three-network voicemail messages awaiting delivery.
These are separate issues in that they relate to SMS's not sent from ExeSMS. One of my friends also related similar stories of SMS's from non Exetel people sometimes taking up to a day to be received.

Personally I think all issues relate to a problem with 3. Although I can't understand why ExeSMS is treated differently to "normal" SMS.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Does anyone know what is different about an ExeSMS to a normal one? i.e. how does 3 even know that the SMS was not sent from a phone?

William M

Post by William M » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:43 am

Hi,

I requested some feedback but have no further information I've been advised that there is no issue on submission to the 3 network which is to the extent that we and our supplier can go.

Has anyone spoken to Three and actually received any advice in regards to the issue? With all these reports of issues on the Three network there's little Exetel can do to force any changes on their network.

Cheers Will

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:31 pm

William M wrote:With all these reports of issues on the Three network there's little Exetel can do to force any changes on their network.
I agree. And I think 3/Voda have enough on their plate with the merger etc to probably not be able to spend any time on an issue such as this.

Is there anything Exetel can do though to make ExeSMS's look more like a normal SMS sent from a phone?