exesms shortcuts aren't valid

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services
criten

exesms shortcuts aren't valid

Post by criten » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm

I noticed the new exesms 2.1 app is written in java. It creates shortcuts on windows to the target "C:\Exetel\eXeSMS Version 2.1\eXeSMS.jar"

This is actually incorrect.

The shortcut should target:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Exetel\eXeSMS Version 2.1\eXeSMS.jar"

By default there is no file association for .jar files on Windows, and Windows will not know how to execute it.

Otherwise, I love the new app (as opposed to the highly buggy v1.5 I formerly used)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: exesms shortcuts aren't valid

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with errors for users with Nokia PC Suite installed where trying to use the app invokes PC Suite in error, currently using a batch file as posted by another user to get around this problem

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm

No default Java association is a well-known Windows problem. There are references at:
http://www.wikihow.com/Run-a-.Jar-Java-File
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/too ... /java.html

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:44 pm

jokiin wrote:I wonder if this has anything to do with errors for users with Nokia PC Suite installed where trying to use the app invokes PC Suite in error, currently using a batch file as posted by another user to get around this problem
Hi jokiin

I'll be interested to know if this does solve that issue because I'm in the middle of trying to talk a friend through using the batch file previously given by another helpful user :D

Thanks

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

criten

Post by criten » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Yep - the java installer doesn't associate the .jar extension because there are different options to execute under, that may be different for each jar file, thus you're supposed to reference the java runtime and give it the path to the java application you wish to run. This is well documented as well.

The Java installer never has associated .jar files with the runtime.

criten

Post by criten » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:08 pm

jokiin wrote:I wonder if this has anything to do with errors for users with Nokia PC Suite installed where trying to use the app invokes PC Suite in error, currently using a batch file as posted by another user to get around this problem
Yep, Nokia Ovi on my PCs associated with the .jar extension as it will attempt to install the jar file to my mobile.

However if you modify the shortcut's target to that described in my original post - exesms loads fine. No batch file needed. Although do be aware that the path to Java may vary depending on the system.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:36 pm

criten wrote: However if you modify the shortcut's target to that described in my original post - exesms loads fine. No batch file needed. Although do be aware that the path to Java may vary depending on the system.
will do this but if there is an error it should be rectified in the program itself so that the shortcut is correct as the batch file is an annoying workaround that not everyone is comfortable with

criten

Post by criten » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:59 pm

jokiin wrote: will do this but if there is an error it should be rectified in the program itself so that the shortcut is correct as the batch file is an annoying workaround that not everyone is comfortable with
I agree.

But its actually the installer thats the problem. I know how to do it in the NSIS installer, but I won't, unless theres some kind of monetary reward.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

criten wrote:
jokiin wrote: will do this but if there is an error it should be rectified in the program itself so that the shortcut is correct as the batch file is an annoying workaround that not everyone is comfortable with
I agree.

But its actually the installer thats the problem. I know how to do it in the NSIS installer, but I won't, unless theres some kind of monetary reward.
just pointing out the error as you have might be enough to get the person responsible to amend the installer accordingly, I'd like to see that happen anyway as it's a very useful piece of software that is perhaps not getting used by some customers due to effectively being broken for them