Virtual mobile number - getting SMS by email

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services

Virtual mobile number - getting SMS by email

Postby MarkSnell on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

I have just ordered a virtual mobile number because the website says: "A Virtual Mobile Number allows SMS messages to be sent to a mobile number and received by email."

Instead of emailing the text message, it emails a notification.

The notification is in the following format: "Exetel MVN SMS Message Received - 61420xxxxxx Message Receieved From: 61420xxxxxx Message Sent to: 61416xxxxxx Message Received at: 2011-06-27 16:46:27 Reference ID: 366xxx"

Is this meant to happen?

Is it possible to get the text message itself emailed to my forwarding address?

All the best

Mark
MarkSnell

Re: Virtual mobile number - getting SMS by email

Postby ShaminG on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Is it possible to get the text message itself emailed to my forwarding address?

Once you log into the member's facility, follow the below steps.

Manage Services -> Click on 'SMS' -> Click on 'Virtual Mobile' -> Click on 'Specific email' under the column 'Forwarding' -> Add your preferred email address and the VMN
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Postby MarkSnell on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I am sorry that does not solve my problem.

I am still getting NOTIFICATIONS (as above), NOT the actual text message itself. I want the ACTUAL TEXT MESSAGE ITSELF.

Under Manage Services>SMS>Virtual Number there are four buttons. Two of these are Specific Email and Mass Email.

The "Specific Email" option says: "Email Addresses specified in this section shall ONLY receive SMS messages sent to the Virtual Mobile Number from the matching From Mobile Number specified."

The "Mass Email" option says: "Email addresses added and displayed within this section shall recieve all SMS messages sent to the this Virtual Mobile Number."

These are working as documented (not as @ShaminG suggests), but only to the extent that they are sending notifications.

In other words:
SPECIFIC - if I send a text from the number I specify here a notification goes to the email address I nominate. Putting the Virtual Mobile Number here does not make sense, and does not work anyway.
MASS - if anyone sends a text (from any number), a notification goes to the email address I nominate.

Has anyone actually tried this?

Has anyone been able to get the actual text message emailed to their forwarding address?

All the best

Mark
MarkSnell

Postby nuranj on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Could you please PM me your service number so i could have a look at the issue.
nuranj
Exetel Staff

Postby nuranj on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:45 pm

nuranj wrote:Could you please PM me your service number so i could have a look at the issue.

We are currently investigating this issue with our developers and we will get back to you soon as possible.
nuranj
Exetel Staff

Postby ShaminG on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

It appears the feature is working without any errors.

I have sent a Test message to your VMN and tried forwarding it to my email address(After adding it in your account)

Message has been forwarded into my email account successfully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message Receieved From: Exetel
Message Sent to: XXXXXXXXXXX
Message Received at: 2011-06-28 14:52:29 Reference ID: 367007

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by ShaminG on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Postby MarkSnell on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes, I think I have found the problem. It is with a spam filter on my machine.

Not having used this facility before, I did not realise that the "notification" was actually the first part of the forwarded message.

The spam filter has cut out the rest, including the message content. It doesn't seem to like the carriage returns, for some reason.

Thank you for investigating and posting your test results. Without your help, I am sure I wouldn't have worked it out.

All the best

Mark
MarkSnell

Postby ShaminG on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes, I think I have found the problem. It is with a spam filter on my machine.

Not having used this facility before, I did not realise that the "notification" was actually the first part of the forwarded message.

The spam filter has cut out the rest, including the message content. It doesn't seem to like the carriage returns, for some reason.

Thank you for investigating and posting your test results. Without your help, I am sure I wouldn't have worked it out.

You are always welcome :D. Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Return to SMS via ADSL