eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services

eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

Postby John Baird on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

I recently installed eXeSMS (other sys) onto a user login of Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop.
The eXeSMS zip file was unpacked in the Downloads folder of the Admin directory (Home/"Admin name").
From the user login I then used Gnome Panel to create a link to the eXeSMS.jar file in the Admin Downloads folder.
This provided a Launch Panel icon that works(one click)and a Desktop icon that works (double click).
Well, except for one little glitch.
First activation of either icon produces an error panel to display with a reference to "unable to access database file".
Subsequent activation eXeSMS works.
Q1: Can anyone explain why this happens and is there a fix?
Also reading the forum some time ago a complaint was made about double billing occurring for some messages that were not exceeding the 160 char limit.
I think I have experienced this (14c instead of 7c) but I cannot check the length of the sent message.
Q2: Is double charging an outstanding problem?
Q3: Are sent messages stored somewhere for retrieval?
John Baird

Re: eXeSMS install to Ubuntu 12.04

Postby stevecJ on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

John Baird wrote:I recently installed eXeSMS (other sys) onto a user login of Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop.
The eXeSMS zip file was unpacked in the Downloads folder of the Admin directory (Home/"Admin name").
From the user login I then used Gnome Panel to create a link to the eXeSMS.jar file in the Admin Downloads folder.
This provided a Launch Panel icon that works(one click)and a Desktop icon that works (double click).
Well, except for one little glitch.
First activation of either icon produces an error panel to display with a reference to "unable to access database file".
Subsequent activation eXeSMS works.
Q1: Can anyone explain why this happens and is there a fix?
Also reading the forum some time ago a complaint was made about double billing occurring for some messages that were not exceeding the 160 char limit.
I think I have experienced this (14c instead of 7c) but I cannot check the length of the sent message.
Q2: Is double charging an outstanding problem?
Q3: Are sent messages stored somewhere for retrieval?

Hi,

I will check this with our developers and get back to you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================
stevecJ
Forum Admin

Postby Dazzled on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I haven't seen that one before, but I don't have a 12.04 box to try, and I haven't used ExeSMS for yonks, although it worked then (I just cannot warm to Java). Have you tried executing direct from the terminal?

With your Ubuntu machine it is simple to send a standard SMS from a script (bash, perl, python, etc) in very few lines, if that takes your fancy. In bash:
1. Store the sendfrom details and the Exetel URL; Input the sendto details; input the message (from the terminal, msg=`head -c 160` is enough);
2. URL encode the message (HTML needs some text escaped, eg | sed);
3. Read the date and call up the Exetel https server (eg use curl)
This can be given a Zenity or other GUI if desired. The API info is at http://www.exetel.com.au/Exetel_SMS_API ... tation.pdf
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby John Baird on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Double bill SOLVED.
Subsequent to my earlier post I found my SMS messages and did a char count and the double billed message had exceeded 160 chars.
My apologies to Exetel. :oops:
John Baird

Postby John Baird on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

Further to my post,
eXeSMS has created a Exetel_sms_db directory in my User/ Home directory so I think on start up eXeSMS looks for this dir. in the executing Dir (Admin/Home/Downloads) and cant find it and subsequent start ups eXeSMS searches the whole file system for the current Exetel_sms_db directory.
My understanding of Ubuntu/Linux file and system security is that all executables must be located in the Admin or root directories. This should also be the case for other op. systems.
So the eXeSMS program should be modified to search in the first instance the User /Home Dir. (that is where it is locating the dB dir). This would allow multiple users to have their own dB Dir.
You should also be allowed to nominate the path to the dB Directory.
John Baird

Postby Dazzled on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm

I've had a peek at an Ubuntu 8.04 that is still running happily at my place, as well as at a recent Mint box. In each case /eXeSMS-full is in a directory a couple of levels under home, and not located on the PATH. Also, in each case none of the files has execute permission. It works because Sun Java does have the search path, and it reads eXeSMS as a bunch of data files. Because eXeSMS is all hardwired you can't muck about with its files and directories. echo $PATH in a terminal will tell you the current user's path variable.

You can put Linux scripts and compiled applications with execute permission anywhere, and with some of the really large maths and science suites for maintenance's sake it's a good idea to keep them well away from the usual places. It's the present directory that has no direct execute ability - got round by typing ./commandname in the terminal if it is currently at the same place as commandname.

The Ubuntu log-in shell looks for .profile in your home directory, and will there set the path to a local /bin if it exists. This makes a good place to put local scripts etc. Putting executable stuff in the file system at /usr/bin, for example, is to make it readily accessible to all users.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby John Baird on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for your interest Dazzled,
I don't really understand all that you have said but what i did get is the Path(s) or Environment (Win) command info.
I could create a directory say 'My Apps" in say usr/bin and locate the EXeSMS files there but if there are multiple users on my machine they would each create a dB folder and I would think this would cause conflict. Note running eXeSMS creates a dB folder in the users Home directory. This may be because eXeSMS is being run from the Desktop
I think things are getting a bit messy and maybe the creator of eXeSMS could input to this discussion.
John Baird

Postby Dazzled on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:40 pm

The code isn't supplied, so a developer comment might be of some value. The app is actually a large interpreted Java version of something that would occupy very little space at all if scripted instead in something like Python, which can also run on most machines.

Since each instance has its own separate database, it makes sense to put a copy of the app in each user space. Where you put it is up to you, but you will have to retain Exetel's directory structure as it will expect file paths relative to the main eXeSMS_-_Ubuntu_version.jar file to find its components.

It could have been written with a common part in /usr accessible to everyone, but then separate user data files would have been needed in each users space, as presumably users want to keep SMS confidentiality. (Look at all the hidden dot directories in your home directory for an example of local user data, particularly your mail client).
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby John Baird on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Here is some info on setting up eXeSMS or for that matter any 3rd party application on Ubuntu14.04LTS
I found that Alacarte MainMenu has some bugs which makes it difficult to do an easy install. I found that although I gave it the correct path to the application icon file it failed to append the .png extension. So here is what you can do for eXeSMS install.
1. Need to install Java.
2. Need to Unpack eXeSMS.jar. That is the version for Ubuntu.
3. It may be useful to make one attempt to install eXeSMS via Mainmenu, this will create a .desktop file in the Home/John(User name)/.local/share/applications. If you do this look for the recently created file and or
4.Go to the alacarte "application".desktop file folder, it is hidden, e.g Home/John/.local/share/applications/
copy a .desktop file to a new temporary location say alacarteTemp folder. Change the file name extension to .txt and open with Gedit.
5. Edit the file to suit and save file with a .desktop extension, check you don't finish up with multiple extensions. If so right click file name and edit it.
6. Need to get exact paths to the exe file and the icon file.
7. Need to ensure the png extension is on the icon file name in the icon path.
8. Need to ensure NoDisplay = False statement.
I have the unpacked eXeSMS files located in a folder Home/John/ MyApps/eXeSMSforUbuntu_2.2/
I have noticed that the eXeSMS database folder has been set up by the app. in my root directory (Home1/John).
Example:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon[en_AU]=/home/john/MyApps/eXeSMSForUbuntu_2.2/ICON/ee.png
Name[en_AU]=eXeSMS.desktop
Exec=java -jar "/home/john/MyApps/eXeSMSForUbuntu_2.2/eXeSMS.jar"
Comment[en_AU]=Exetel SMS
Name=eXeSMS
Comment=Exetel SMS
NoDisplay=false
Icon=gnome-panel-launcher

Good Luck
John Baird

Postby Dazzled on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks for the update for a more recent Ubuntu release.

There are also a number of scripts, both bash and python, circulating online to send these, to avoid the heavy Java use, although few provide all of the facilities.

It is actually fairly short and simple to script, for example, the send SMS function -
1. Set up your user constants;
2. Read the first 160 chars from stdin or a popup GUI like Xenity;
3. Echo into message the input above, with all the special characters escaped for use in a URL. This is the tricky bit, use sed - see http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp for the things to escape);
4. Use curl to connect to the server, with the all the user particulars and the message appended to the URL, as described in the Exetel documentation.
5. Check error status.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to SMS via ADSL