Reliability of Web SMS

WebSMS and 'Email to SMS' services

Reliability of Web SMS

Postby gong_guy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:35 pm

I have been using Exetel Email to SMS with good results (I think). I recently changed to using Web SMS from the User Area.

Last month I sent (and was charged for) 11 SMS, 2 have a status of "Failed" and 1 has a status of "Sent". All 3 were not delivered as far as I know. The recipient is on Telstra I believe.

I just sent one 20 minutes ago and it still has a status of "Sent" and I fear it will not be delivered.

Is this normal?

Edit

I resent the last SMS 35minutes later and that one is marked "Delivered", the recipient received it. The first SMS today is still marked "Sent".
gong_guy

Re: Reliability of Web SMS

Postby stevecJ on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:59 pm

gong_guy wrote:I have been using Exetel Email to SMS with good results (I think). I recently changed to using Web SMS from the User Area.

Last month I sent (and was charged for) 11 SMS, 2 have a status of "Failed" and 1 has a status of "Sent". All 3 were not delivered as far as I know. The recipient is on Telstra I believe.

I just sent one 20 minutes ago and it still has a status of "Sent" and I fear it will not be delivered.

Is this normal?

Hi,

The status 'Sent' means that the message has been already sent from our network and awaiting for the response from the relevant destination. Once we receive the delivery report from the receiver's network, the status will be changed to 'Delivered' .
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================
stevecJ
Forum Admin

Postby gong_guy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the explanation.

I was more interested though in the reliability aspect of Exetel Web SMS for me personally. I just checked and of the last 9 SMS I sent (since i changed from Exetel email SMS) from the web portal 4 failed to be delivered.

The recipient is on Telstra and has a iPhone.

Where do you think the problem lies and what can I do to be more confident that my SMSes will actually be read?
gong_guy

Postby shoner on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

gong_guy wrote:Where do you think the problem lies and what can I do to be more confident that my SMSes will actually be read?

Unfortunately with SMS there is no direct way to find out if the message was read. With SMS first the server says message was sent, then the mobile says message was received (that is when you get the delivery report, if enabled) but the recipients mobile does not send back a message read signal.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Return to SMS via ADSL