Usasge meter no longer working

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities

Re: Usasge meter no longer working

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 am

James wrote:Our developers have suspended the XML feed,

And not do anybody the courtesy of letting people know?

While I understand what they've done, and why it's been done, surely a little bit of communication (before this was implemented) with your users ... perhaps as simple as an informative post here (after all, isn't that exactly what this forum is for?) ... might have been in order?

Thanks for the information; it's great to know what's happened, even if it's a bit later than what I might have considered to be optimal.
Last edited by gstark on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gstark

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

Dazzled wrote:The best meters are all local scripts. What app owner?

I suspect (but I'm really guessing) that they might mean the app developer, in that any developer might embed hooks that could "call home" with a user's credentials into an app.
gstark

Postby Dazzled on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:06 am

In this age of smartphones any abuse is possible. Phone users seem to a have dispensed with caution.

Exetel has always provided an XML feed since the early days when so many of the users were technically capable. Decoding this standard data format is quick and trivial. To secure the login isn't difficult, and it would be appreciated if the service came back.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby stevebow on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

My Firefox Net Usage extension is no longer working because the xml feed was killed, without notice, which is somewhat annoying.

Will there be an alternative method provided without having to log in to member's facilities?

Thanks,
Steve
stevebow

Postby James on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Dazzled wrote:James, as you will remember, the website code has a long history of difficulties with this sort of thing, and scraping is not something to encourage. An SSL connection to the XML feed instead of simple GET or POST would do the job without dispute.

The best meters are all local scripts. There isn't an app owner.

This was not my idea, and I have asked for more information as to what we can do to give access to customers.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby James on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 pm

gstark wrote:
James wrote:Our developers have suspended the XML feed,

And not do anybody the courtesy of letting people know?

While I understand what they've done, and why it's been done, surely a little bit of communication (before this was implemented) with your users ... perhaps as simple as an informative post here (after all, isn't that exactly what this forum is for?) ... might have been in order?

Thanks for the information; it's great to know what's happened, even if it's a bit later than what I might have considered to be optimal.

I guess two reasons, security concerns, and secondly it isn't a supported feature.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby James on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 am

I have asked if this can be extended while alternatives are explored.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby garfin on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 am

Yay! finally my forum access seems sorted/reactivated. following thread..

Screenshots of Toid's Usage Meter, (one of many meters' it seems) throwing a fit over XML feed issue..

UsageMeter3.jpg
Compact Mode - No error message, but Data not updating either.
UsageMeter3.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 646 times

UsageMeter2.jpg
Main Screen - Expanded.
UsageMeter2.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 646 times

UsageMeter.jpg
Test page.
UsageMeter.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 646 times
garfin

Postby James on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 pm

I don't think this will be continued, I have had the usage of this feed investigated, and less than 0.7% of our ADSL customers have used it this year.

I would suggest just quickly logging into the My Exetel page for up to date information on your services.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby Dazzled on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

That would be a shame James, as it was an original lauded feature of Exetel from the earliest days.

The website has many difficulties, including problems with some browsers and coding standards - all of which were discussed to death here a long time ago. A user's meter can extract the data by scraping the website, but it isn't something to encourage. Placing a more secure login on the XML feed is trivial.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Chris T on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 pm

James wrote:I don't think this will be continued, I have had the usage of this feed investigated, and less than 0.7% of our ADSL customers have used it this year.

I would suggest just quickly logging into the My Exetel page for up to date information on your services.

One reason for the low usage of the feed is that it hasn't worked for me at all this year on the odd times I checked. In fact the feed hasn't worked for me for many months.

One advantage of the feed is it is automatically updated whichever way we access it. The My Exetel page timesout, so we have to be entering the login details all the time. And lately, I found the data is not so up-to-date either.
Chris T

Postby James on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 am

Dazzled wrote:That would be a shame James, as it was an original lauded feature of Exetel from the earliest days.

The website has many difficulties, including problems with some browsers and coding standards - all of which were discussed to death here a long time ago. A user's meter can extract the data by scraping the website, but it isn't something to encourage. Placing a more secure login on the XML feed is trivial.

I have asked, but this is no likely something that will be approved, especially based on the decreasing historical use of this meter over the last couple of years.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby oblong on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 pm

James wrote:I have asked, but this is no likely something that will be approved, especially based on the decreasing historical use of this meter over the last couple of years.

That's a pity. It's so much easier to just glance at the browser toolbar.
oblong

Postby StrawHat on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 pm

James
Can you at least ask your "developers" to change the error message from
"error=Incorrect User/Pass" to something like
"xml service no longer available"

This would save the other .69% of us from spending hours trying to get our parsers working on data that isn't even accessible anymore.
StrawHat

Previous

Return to Member facilities & usage meter