sms from web Python script

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
chronographer

sms from web Python script

Post by chronographer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi all

I just thought I'd share a small script I wrote, to enable me to send sms using Exetel's facilities from my computer desktop.

http://home.exetel.com.au/agl/files/exemessage.py

This script can be placed in "/home/<username>/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/" and changed to 'executable' (this in Ubuntu or other LInux and then we can right click on the desktop and choose 'scripts' then 'exemessage' and we get a GUI with from number, to number and a space to enter your message!

If you like it, let me know, if you want to help improve it then let me know too!

It will run on windows and osx and linux as far as I know, you need to install python and wxpython, then you need to edit the script and set your username and password, and also your 'from' phone number. Now you should be able to run it.

Hope you like it,

Alex

vk3xem

Re: sms from web Python script

Post by vk3xem » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 pm

Nice job Alex, took a little effort to install but your instructions were clear and it was easy enough. :D

I installed it on my Windows Box, will throw it on Ubuntu later to experiment with. The only issue is only the top of the send button and (I assume) the exit button are showing on my display and I cannot resize the window to properly show them. The programme sends messages perfectly though.

I wonder if this Python script will run on my Nokia N82 as I have Python installed on it?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi

I am sure it will run on your nokia if you have python and wxpython installed. If you tweak line 35 I reckon you will get it displaying properly too.

wx.Dialog.__init__(self, parent, id, title, size=(490, 200))

the size is the size of the dialog so you can probably change the number 200 to something bigger and it should all fit in the box! Maybe there is a better way to do it (well there is, by using relative positions you can set the GUI up better but I spent an hour tweaking and it looked worse than the absolute positions that I use.)

Let me know what works best, and I can look for OS specific settings!

Cheers,

Alex

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks Alex, I changed the value from 200 to 220 and it looks perfect now. :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM