SMS Via Web Messages may only sent via Exetel IP Addresses

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
zaxapod

Re: SMS Via Web Messages may only sent via Exetel IP Addresses

Post by zaxapod » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:13 am

Hmm - its blocked from sending through the webpage, but I just sent an sms through exesms - it shows it as being sent but it hasn't been received. Is it being blocked even though it says its been sent? Its from an Optus cable account.

In the past the sms sent through exesms have always gone through immediately, but today - nothings been received.

Edit - the sms has been received - just a few minutes delay - so exesms does still work from non-exetel IPs. Its not a problems really - exesms is pretty handy and I'd probably use it instead of the webpage - would be a problem from work or public computers though.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:17 am

zaxapod wrote:Hmm - its blocked from sending through the webpage, but I just sent an sms through exesms - it shows it as being sent but it hasn't been received. Is it being blocked even though it says its been sent? Its from an Optus cable account.

In the past the sms sent through exesms have always gone through immediately, but today - nothings been received.
You are missing the point. People don't want to use the crappy stand alone app, we want to use the web service. Much better and much more convenient.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 am

Not complaining, and thank goodness you caught it!

Thoughts on allowing usage whilst keeping security:

Maybe for non-exetel IPs you could have a 2-step rego process PER IP.

Example -

1. you must "opt-in" to use a non-Exetel IP, and this can only be done from an Exetel IP (eg before you go on hols overseas); THEN
2. you must "register" an IP by entering the last 4 digits of the c/card or bank account held on file (for auto-payment) AND by confirming an email sent to the account-holder's email address (also restrict it so that the email address cannot be changed from a non-Exetel IP).

Step 2 would be required for every IP you wish to use it from. Whilst this could be annoying for travellers, it would be a once-only process for "work users" (their public IP wouldn't change) - and something obviously must be done.

Also, any thoughts on forcing people to change their "standard" exetel password prior to using any of the members facilities (also must be from an exetel IP and yes I know it will mean changing the modem password)? I'd take a guess that well over half of your customers are on the default password. If I know your service number, there are only 676 password combinations (26x26 for the 2 letters).
Last edited by peterh_oz on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:25 am

A limit is no good ... Even 250 a day can be quite a bill if it takes a month for the user to discover they've been hacked. And a limit won't allow exetel to see that there's a problem. If the hacker had done 250-500 a day instead of 10,000 no-one would know until December 1 (or even later, if/when they read their bank statement).

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:25 am

Yabbie wrote:Exetel, please implement a limit of 250 per day for a start and see how that goes. If there are still problems, then reasses, but I think this would be the solution.
How many people are going to use more than 100 or even 50 in a day. I would like to see a lower limit set by default and if any customer requires more then they should ask to have their limit raised.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:32 am

vk3xem wrote: How many people are going to use more than 100 or even 50 in a day. I would like to see a lower limit set by default and if any customer requires more then they should ask to have their limit raised.
agree, 10 a day would probably be sufficient for many, there does need to be the flexibility to up the limit for those that need it of course

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:34 am

Yabbie wrote:
You are missing the point. People don't want to use the crappy stand alone app, we want to use the web service. Much better and much more convenient.
which people are those? Personally I prefer the 'crappy app' :)

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:44 am

peterh_oz wrote:Not complaining, and thank goodness you caught it!

Thoughts on allowing usage whilst keeping security:

Maybe for non-exetel IPs you could have a 2-step rego process PER IP.
I thought of that too, but only problem is people who have dynamic IP's.

I think some of the others were on the right track - a 'default' limit of 10 per day, with customers able to request a higher limit if they really want it.

kalpeshoza

Post by kalpeshoza » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 am

Hi,

Can anyone from Exetel please tell me why the hell Exetel stopped SMS via web ?

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50 am

kalpeshoza wrote:Hi,

Can anyone from Exetel please tell me why the hell Exetel stopped SMS via web ?
If you read this post you'll find out pretty quickly.

spivot

Post by spivot » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 am

I would be happy with 10 sms a day limit.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Yabbie wrote:I personally would much rather the web app rather than the stand alone app. A limit would fix the problem 90%.

Exetel, please implement a limit of 250 per day for a start and see how that goes. If there are still problems, then reasses, but I think this would be the solution.
Please send an email to williamm@exetel.com.au for the quota increase.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi All,

We shall be currently implementing a form within the User Facilities that will allow customers to request an increase in their limit.
From our records, there are very few customers that send more than 20 per day even per month.
Raising the limit any higher than the current limit doesn't seem justified given that type of usage.

Although, a form shall be put in place that will allow customers to request a increase in their limit.

The process shall be as follows;
1. The customer requests an increase in their daily limit from their User Facilities.
2. The customer shall receive a confirmation email in their specified contact email address which they must reply to confirm their intention to increase the limit.
3. An Exetel staff member shall receive the request and confirm that the requested increase is justified from previous usage of the SMS service. (soon to be automated)
4. If justified, the increase shall be made and confirmation returned.

This should be up within the next few hours.

Unfortunately in regards to the Exetel IP address restrictions, they shall be in place indefinitely until such time as the Directors of Exetel wish to remove the restrictions.
While I understand the frustration and concerns, given the situation that was experienced yesterday the restrictions are justified. Currently, we're looking into ways to provide a secure means to allows other IP address access though at this moment in time their is none.

Cheers Will

Dellwood

Post by Dellwood » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:25 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: We will work on eliminating this problem and then resume offering the service - but almost certainly with a 'send limit' and/or the requirement to pre-pay for the service.
It is a bit of an annoyance; I use the service extensively from other locations. I'll soon be using my own web-based app that uses the SMS API; will that still work from any IP address? I'll be using it on my development server and my webhost, so it'll appear to be coming from the server's IP address.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Dellwood,

The API can be used from any IP address, unless you've specified one when registering your API account.

Cheers Will