SMS Via Web Messages may only sent via Exetel IP Addresses

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
raymond
Exetel Staff

Re: SMS Via Web Messages may only sent via Exetel IP Addresses

Post by raymond » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for your idea.

We will add some security features to allow all Exetel user to send SMS via Exetel member's facilities before COB Monday. The detailed procedure will be published on forum too.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:20 pm

RazzaDazzla wrote:how does limiting IP addresses = security? If a malicious person had access to a compromised account, i'm sure they would be clever enough to spoof an IP address.

Also, how does being able to send via the standalone util = better security? If an account has been compromised, surely the malicious person could download the app and add a user to stand alone app via the add user feature.

Allow access from any IP. Put a limit on the number of SMS that can be sent. Perhaps maybe 20 a day ($1). Why not write a program that detects if the daily/monthly sms usage is x % more than previous days / months? If usage is exceeded, have an email/SMS sent to the registered users details asking if this is legitimate usage. Or force the user to contact exetel with other personal identifying details that only the user would know (DOB, address, secret question etc)

There is a better way then limiting IP access to the web SMS.
++1.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:41 am

I would like to commend Exetel and it's staff for acting so quickly to this security breach. Sure it may have been an inconvenience for some customers in the short term, but as stated new measures will be in place by Monday evening to allow secure access via the website.

Really I think some people are over reacting to the very short term inconvenience, considering this only happen a day or two a go and it will be completely resolved in another couple of days it really is an extremely quick resolution! It's not as if anyone was left with no way of sending an SMS through Exetel. Just to know that Exetel is protecting our services is peace of mind as far as I'm concerned.

I am grateful Exetel closed this security breach so quickly and will have a work around in such a small amount of time and everything will be back to normal. Maybe it's just because I come from a Security background but I cannot fault how this issue has been tackled, in fact it has been text book as far as I'm concerned.

THANK YOU EXETEL :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:47 am

vk3xem wrote:Really I think some people are over reacting
Unfortunately over reacting seems to be the default reaction for many these days :?

syncmaster

Post by syncmaster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:36 pm

raymond wrote:Thanks for your ideal. We will add some security features to allow all Exetel user to send SMS via Exetel member's facilities before COB Monday. The detail procedure will be publish on forum too.
Thanks for your quick action. I believe many users are eagerly waiting for your security features update soon.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:48 pm

We have re-opened the SMS for all IP addresses. Before you use SMS, you need to register the security PIN code first.

To regist the PIN code, you require to have a valid Australian Mobile phone and the first 4 number of your payment details. Then, we will SMS the PIN code to your mobile.

Using this PIN code, you can gain unlimited access to all services in your member's facilities.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 pm

"first 4 number of your payment details" - what exactly is this, please.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:34 pm

The first 4 digits of your bank account or credit card that you pay for your Exetel services with.

Gidget

Edit - I actually think this should be the last 4 digits so have queried this with Exetel
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:01 am

Gidget wrote:The first 4 digits of your bank account or credit card that you pay for your Exetel services with.

Gidget

Edit - I actually think this should be the last 4 digits so have queried this with Exetel
I tried the first four and didn't get an SMS. I then tried the last four and the website said it was the wrong numbers. :?

Don't know why I'm not getting the SMS.

William M

Post by William M » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 am

Did it confirm that the message was sent or did it indicate that the details were incorrect?

Cheers Will

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 am

William M wrote:Did it confirm that the message was sent or did it indicate that the details were incorrect?

Cheers Will
New PIN has SMS to your account. Please check your mobile.
If you're ready to confirm your PIN, please click here.

Said the above. SMS came through literally as I type this, so all ok now. Don't know what the hold up was.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:06 am

Yay! All works now. :P

Didn't realise Exetel were working towards getting full functionality back to us, though we were never going to be able to send SMS's from an IP other than an Exetel one.

In hind-sight, Exetel has done very well handling this, I just wish they had made it clearer that they intended to get full function back eventually.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 am

Yabbie wrote: In hind-sight, Exetel has done very well handling this, I just wish they had made it clearer that they intended to get full function back eventually.
it was posted on the forums here previously, it might have been missed by many, maybe an email alert could have gone out to the user base, all in all it was sorted pretty quickly though, give them this much they do respond quickly :)

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 am

Yep, thumbs up Exetel. 8)

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Hmm. I hope it's me doing something wrong, but now I get asked to go through the registration thing *every time* I want to send an SMS. This can't be right, surely? You only have to register the IP once, don't you?