HSPA meter acting wierd

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
zaxapod

HSPA meter acting wierd

Post by zaxapod » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:28 pm

I've noticed all this month something odd on the usage meter. Its showing all the data used as being in the "additional usage" graph as well as in the
'qota usage' graph. Now its probably not a big deal as its only an indicator, but I'd be concerned if it actually ended up being billed that way. The total is still well under the 1GB quota usage so it really should be reading 0 in the additional usage section.

Anyone else seeing this on the usage meter?

cyberknutt

Re: HSPA meter acting wierd

Post by cyberknutt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:45 pm

zaxapod wrote:I've noticed all this month something odd on the usage meter. Its showing all the data used as being in the "additional usage" graph as well as in the
'qota usage' graph. Now its probably not a big deal as its only an indicator, but I'd be concerned if it actually ended up being billed that way. The total is still well under the 1GB quota usage so it really should be reading 0 in the additional usage section.

Anyone else seeing this on the usage meter?
I have also noticed this. I am also having problems with the Firefox Net Usage plugin which stopped working a few days ago.
Ken.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:04 pm

I posted about this on the Exetel agent's forum but had no response :(

I've copy / pasted it below in case it gets more attention.

G'day :)

It appears Exetel has changed how they report usage on the HSPA C plans.

Up until yesterday (well mid last week now), the usage was shown as the first 1GB on the first line, then additional 5GB on the second line. The Quota line used to be 1GB, but it's now 0GB.

The same usage is now also shown as "Additional Usage"

A direct consequence of this is that people using the "Net Usage Item" now see NaN instead of their usage, where previously there was a percentage which worked along the line of 100% = the first GB, and the excess usage increased the percentage accordingly.

If this is a permanent change, it is possible to change the display text to "Both MB" instead of percentage in Net Usage Item. (Edited, choosing Peak MB would probably be bad once they get past peak.)

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change? If so, I have 14 customers to advise. I would personally prefer it if the nomenclature was changed instead so the first line said "First Gigabyte rate" and "Additional Gigabyte Rate"

Cheers, Mike

Aardvark56

Post by Aardvark56 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Also seeing same issue on usage meter on HSPA service.

Having all your usage show in both lots of data is very confusing (and concerning) for those to whom technology doesn't come easy.

Has anyone logged a fault ticket for this?

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Exetel might decide that it's not a fault due to the way the PAYG plan works. With zero included downloads, it may be seen as technically correct to show no Quota usage at all, and show it all as additional usage; but in that case the Quota amount should perhaps be zero? I guess it all comes down to how the define Quota.

Quota could mean "Included in price" downloads, which for HSPA C plans is incorrect

or

Quota could mean "Amount you can download at the cheap rate"

I'd prefer the latter in this instance.

If they won't change it back, then I'll get in touch with the author of the meter and see if they can re-program it; but don't want to annoy him until it's confirmed that we're stuck with this new setup.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:40 pm

MCCMikey wrote:... then I'll get in touch with the author of the meter and see if they can re-program it; but don't want to annoy him until it's confirmed that we're stuck with this new setup.
The program appears to ignore the quota values entered in Preferences. If this value was used instead of the value from the ISP's information, it would give the required result.
Ken.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:25 pm

I noticed this change also. It is a little off putting to see the meter showing all orange, but I suppose theoretically it is correct. It may need tweaking by critter to maybe show the usual green for the first G, then maybe a dark green up to the 5 G and only show orange after the 5G.

I am on the HSPA C1 Plan and have always set the meter to show Peak MB as it is always Peak time on the HSPA Plans.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Righto, well if someone from Exetel can please confirm (or otherwise) that this change is permanent, then we can let Critter know about the issues :)

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Hmm, it looks like this issue is being ignored. Neither this post, nor my similar one on the Agents' forum have been responded to. Aah well, will try opening a ticket. Not nice being ignored.

Biscuits

Post by Biscuits » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Same issue here,

Are we still getting charged 1.5cents per mb for the 1st 1gb or does it now cost me more?

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm

That is not known now. If you look at your C1,2 or 3 plan "Plan Detail" link in user facilities, it says the following:
Usage(Upload + Download) per Mbyte: 0.015 Up to 0 MegaBytes
Excess Usage(Upload + Download) per Mbyte: 0.025
So, based on that you'd have to assume that you no longer get the cheaper rate?

I don't remember being told this in an email, etc, so suspect it's an error on Exetel's part, but it's been like this for more than a week now which is a bit long.

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 pm

I have an HSPA C3 plan. I also have the orange Netusage display. I don't consider it is Netusage meter at fault, but the data from Exetel is incorrect. When I go to my Members Facility and go to https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/home.php the graphics display says that I have 0 MB allowance for what was the up to 1000MB at 1.5 cents per MB. Going back to the Netusage usage history every thing was OK up to Wednesday 11 March 23:05. The display problem, for me, started on Thursday 12 March 14:05 (when I turned my computer on).
I have contacted support, but it is a loosing battle.

Regards,

Biscuits

Post by Biscuits » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:26 pm

MCCMikey wrote:That is not known now. If you look at your C1,2 or 3 plan "Plan Detail" link in user facilities, it says the following:
Usage(Upload + Download) per Mbyte: 0.015 Up to 0 MegaBytes
Excess Usage(Upload + Download) per Mbyte: 0.025
So, based on that you'd have to assume that you no longer get the cheaper rate?

I don't remember being told this in an email, etc, so suspect it's an error on Exetel's part, but it's been like this for more than a week now which is a bit long.
That's how i read it :(

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 am

Biscuits wrote: That's how i read it :(
Ahuh. But on the http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php page it still has the different rates so we don't have a definitive answer.

I've submitted a helpdesk ticket, so will see what the feedback is :)

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 am

MCCMikey wrote:
Biscuits wrote: That's how i read it :(
Ahuh. But on the http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php page it still has the different rates so we don't have a definitive answer.

I've submitted a helpdesk ticket, so will see what the feedback is :)
Support sent me this link http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php
When I replied that this link shows the two quotas (up to 1000MB and over 1000MB) they told me to clear my browsers cache. After I did this the same link still showed the same data.
I am still waiting on a further reply.

Regards