More incorrect usage

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
xln747

More incorrect usage

Post by xln747 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:10 am

Hi, for the second time in 8 days I have had major hits on my usage. Yesterday afternoon my usage for the day went from approximately 60Mb to 4.7Gb in about 2 hours. This might be theoretically possible on full speed downloads but the final part of this should have been on the shaping which means the last 2Gb should have taken days to download. I raised this issue last week and was told I must have an unauthorised wireless usage problem even though I have WAP encryption enabled and mac address filtering. I also had to reset my router after a dropout during the period when I allegedly had 4Gb downloads. I have logged a fault ticket for this but it doesn't appear on my log. The fault ticket number is 1251311.

Can anybody tell me what is occurring here ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: More incorrect usage

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:25 am

Exetel will no doubt check the meter when they deal with the ticket. 4 GB in a couple of hours is a pretty good connection. Remember though that shaping doesn't necessarily slow you down, rather it gives you an over-run to avoid excess charges, followed by an increase in the excess fee.

If you indeed have WAP correctly configured and saved with a decent passphrase a freeloader is unlikely. Are there downloads recorded when you know the computer is off?

Are you running a P2P server, and aren't aware what it is up to?

If you go into your modem's admin page you can often get a summary of traffic through the modem from the last date set. This measures what is happening from your end. While you're at it, confirm that the wireless is running secured. Metering your data flow in and out at the computer is fairly straightforward also. If you need help, post your modem model, and your computer operating system.

If these things confirm Exetel's metering, I am afraid you have been got at, either by a thief, or by computer malware, or some fault in reading data.

xln747

Re: More incorrect usage

Post by xln747 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply. I haven't got a P2P server, so I will endeavour to check the throughput. My logs only show connections and not data so I will see if I can find out how. Can Exetel give me a log of usage for given hour/half hour blocks ?