Any System Tray usage meters ?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
scottb721

Any System Tray usage meters ?

Post by scottb721 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Just arrived today from aanet.

Has anyone made a usage meter that sits in the System Tray showing current DL %, similar to aanet's meter for those that know it ?

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Any System Tray usage meters ?

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm

A small do it yourself script for Linux users, as usage is always available in xml format. For Windows users, the popular meter choice seems to be at http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/mxtlusage.phtml

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Thx Dazzled. I have already installed that one.
Be nice if the tray icon was a % amount.

Also, my P/OP quotas are not correct and it doesn't seem to let me alter them.
Is this just something we are stuck with ?

Thanks

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 pm

There is a permanently available "true" meter at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usagemeter_xml.php (login needed). All desktop meter applications are basically pretty presentations of this info, which is a mirror of the stats you see when you log into the user facilities

PS Have you seen http://netusage.iau5.com/?

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 pm

The exetel stats show the correct 12/60Gb peak/offpeak allowances, it's just the mini meter is not using those figures, it's using 6.4/32Gb for some reason.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm not a Windows user, but The Toid is a customer and forum user. He might drop by and fill you in

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks for your time Dazzled, cheers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Light bulb moment -- you are a new user -- he has pro-rated you.

scottb721

Post by scottb721 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Ah! of course. Hence me only being charged about 50% also.

Legend Dazzled.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 am

Dazzled wrote:There is a permanently available "true" meter at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usagemeter_xml.php (login needed). ...
Is this available for HSPA users yet?
Ken.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:13 am

I am not aware of an xml output for hspa (someone correct me please if there is one, I think The Toid is looking too), but you can always get the html monthly query one, and display or deconstruct that. If html display is good enough, just set up a suitable browser script.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:57 am

Dazzled wrote:... If html display is good enough, just set up a suitable browser script.
I sounds like you know how to do it but I do not know how to create a script that will first login then download the HSPA usage page.
Ken.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:07 am

Opera, Seamonkey, Konqueror and Firefox have provision for creating custom buttons or extensions on one of the bars. Of these, Opera is much the more flexible, and easier to do. These buttons can have html code, javascript or, for most users, simple web address & action lists, complete with login. Opera goes one further and has a "wand" which remembers logins for any page.

For Opera discussions, see http://operawiki.info/Opera or http://people.opera.com/rijk/opera/dndbuttons.html. Opera gains hugely from the ability to attach code to buttons, though that is not needed for reading Exetel's website.

For Firefox, see, for example, https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Custom_Toolbar_Button

The details are given in the knowledge bases/user documentation for Mozilla and Opera and are worth browsing. There are many websites with pre-written buttons, and you may find a close match that you can amend.

The custom button method works well on Windows, and is good enough for nearly everything. If you are not on Windows, huge possibilities open up, as Mac and Linux can run complex shell scripts in the background from custom browser buttons - you can do anything at all, and feed a result back to the browser.

If you feel that this is too hard, then don't worry, there is an easy trick. Install the Opera browser http://www.opera.com/. It's free, very secure, and very quick. There is even a version for phones. Go to the Exetel web page and log in to the popup that appears. The wand will immediately pop up and ask if you want the login remembered. Say yes, forever. Then save a bookmark. Optionally drag a copy of the bookmark onto the personal bar. Whenever you need to see the Exetel info, use the bookmark and press the wand button. Done. Opera is tagged so the meter page won't muck up whatever you are currently doing on another site. As a bonus there is a downloader, with torrent ability, and a very good mail client.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 am

Dazzled wrote:Opera, Seamonkey, Konqueror and Firefox have provision for creating custom buttons or extensions on one of the bars. Of these, Opera is much the more flexible, and easier to do. ...
Logging into the members page using a browser is easy. Firefox is even easier than Opera - you don't even need Opera's stupid "magic wand". But none of this is any help in creating a stand-alone script for getting the HSPA usage data.
Ken.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:57 am

I wouldn't knock the wand so quickly - it is simple and secure, and can handle hundreds of login pages. FF is very good, but still has a lot of catching up to do.

As another thread says, the hspa usage page is not yet in xml, fed from a server php script - only an html web page is available. So any custom script or button can only first login, by whatever method you wish to suit your browser, and then either show the usage page in a browser tab, or else deconstruct the html source to extract the information for a simpler display. This requires javascript in the browser, or else passing it to an external shell script for text processors like sed and cut, followed by a simple display setup. I wouldn't bother with source deconstruction while the page is still subject to much change, just code for a button to do an auto login and display.

For ADSL usage it is a different story. The xml output can be parsed quickly and put into a popup, panel/task bar applet, browser icon, or separate app, as per the links at the start of the thread. I am not on Windows, so I use either a self-cancelling popup (20 line external bash script) or a near identical script feeding a small glade GUI wth a few progress bars interfaced with autoglade.

Exetel will eventually do xml for hspa also.