Any System Tray usage meters ?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
cyberknutt

Re: Any System Tray usage meters ?

Post by cyberknutt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Dazzled wrote:I wouldn't knock the wand so quickly - it is simple and secure, and can handle hundreds of login pages. FF is very good, but still has a lot of catching up to do. ...
I can't even get it to work for http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/myhome. How does it handle pages where there are a number of possible username/password combinations.

I guess I will just have to wait for Exetel to implement the XML or the plain-text eqivalent for HSPA.
Ken.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:27 pm

We are getting off topic, but.....

When a webpage has a number of different logins the Opera wand presents a popup with a list of all registered login names. Click the one you want, and off you go. Otherwise it just loads the page. I have used the multiple feature for banking, for example, when the account number relates to the login name. Wand passwords are stored encrypted, but I wouldn't use it for banking, unerased, on a stealable box without further serious protection on the user account. On the other hand you can have as many forum identities as the mods will permit.

Re Virgin: Pain of a site. First, my user javascript reported that it had "sniffed" the browser, ie it tested the "window" object. This is usually an MS inspired nonsense for programmers (Axe Group, this time) to shut out browsers, originally those other than IE. Lately they accept FF as well. It is easily bypassed - I fed it the answers needed for FF by user script. This is so common, Opera has a script already written in "Edit Site Preferences".

Second, there is a javascript error on the page - an inline script has an undefined error because of a missing script file on the website.

Third: the login is scripted, not in html. I used a real phone number, and invented a pin, and the wand popped up asked to save it. I said "Yes". Then, of course, the site rebuffed me for invalid pin.

I am pretty sure that the xml is on the to-do list.

PS Just for fun I decided to validate the virgin site - 27 syntax errors on the home page.

cyberknutt

Post by cyberknutt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Dazzled wrote:We are getting off topic, but.....

Third: the login is scripted, not in html. I used a real phone number, and invented a pin, and the wand popped up asked to save it. I said "Yes". Then, of course, the site rebuffed me for invalid pin.
It saves it - but won't give it back next time. The wand is disabled. Firefox works.

PS: It saves the wrong URL.
Ken.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks to scripting the login is attached to a different "page" , hence your result. The Virgin site, starting at the home page, has been deliberately engineered to frustrate any standards-compliant browser (Opera included) unless the scripts are intercepted and dealt with, as I was doing.

This sort of stupid code was originally circulated to protect IE's market share. FF has now become so common in the US they have stopped interfering with it. You can get round most sniffing attempts in Opera with "Edit Site Preferences" - then select under the Network tag "Mask as FF" Some sites (mostly banks and financial sites) are so notorious that Opera has the appropriate mask scripts inserted automatically when you visit. Go to your Opera config files and view override.ini and override_downloaded.ini

This unprofessionalism usually involves website composing tools of Windows origin, combined with sloppy coding standards. It reflects very badly on the coders, but I don't think they insert it knowingly.

You might read http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/userjs/examples/
Some examples are still reachable from http://userjs.org/scripts/

Edit: I reported the Virgin site to Opera Software ASA - it is an important site, so they might take it up with Virgin.