Need For Website Filter Service

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
niksrulz

Need For Website Filter Service

Post by niksrulz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi!
I'm a loyal exetel customer and have a 18gb peak naked adsl2 plan.
We are 4 people in the house and the problem I'm facing is the excessive use of facebook ,youtube and messenger service causing the peak limit to finish in 20 days.
I would really love to control these website access as it would help me reduce the usage by almost 50%.
I wish if exetel can provide a option in the user facilities about parental control Where I can list websites which i need to block.
I cannot access other computers practically and I don't think my modem/router D-link 624T has the option of blocking particular website access.
Please if someone can help me in this issue ,I'll be grateful.

Thanks
Nick

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Need For Website Filter Service

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:18 pm

You don't mention what operating system you have, but you can block anything with a hosts file. (hosts is the file name - the location is system dependent) You will have to make sure that nobody but you has admin access to alter the file back again. There are several online examples of prebuilt host files, (mostly for malware, like http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) or you can make your own, with only facebook etc blocked. You could kick off with this on EACH computer.

Kids aren't stupid though - any bootable Linux CD or USB stick will just ignore everything on the computer disk and connect unhindered - that is why net nannies only work for the unknowledgeable. Much sneakier is to put an old computer with two ethernet ports to work as a Linux gateway behind the modem, running something ready-to-go like Untangle - http://www.untangle.com/. Bypass of this can be prevented by using its MAC address as the only permitted connection in your well-secured modem. Then they will have to buy their own private modem to get to those sites.
Last edited by Dazzled on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 pm

niksrulz wrote:Hi!
I'm a loyal exetel customer and have a 18gb peak naked adsl2 plan.
We are 4 people in the house and the problem I'm facing is the excessive use of facebook ,youtube and messenger service causing the peak limit to finish in 20 days.
I would really love to control these website access as it would help me reduce the usage by almost 50%.
I wish if exetel can provide a option in the user facilities about parental control Where I can list websites which i need to block.
I cannot access other computers practically and I don't think my modem/router D-link 624T has the option of blocking particular website access.
Please if someone can help me in this issue ,I'll be grateful.

Thanks
Nick
I haven't used it myself so can't say for sure but I think OpenDNS can do what you want, maybe worth having a look http://www.opendns.com/solutions/homenetwork/parental/

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Again, with Jokiin's solution, you would have to secure the DNS in the modem.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:27 pm

Dazzled wrote:Again, with Jokiin's solution, you would have to secure the DNS in the modem.
like anything if they have physical access they can bypass whatever you put in place, perhaps getting them to kick in for a higher plan would be better

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 am

Realistically you can only put a gateway or proxy computer behind a secured modem, or get a new modem that supports site filtering internally (like, eg, the Dynalink). To make your block list, you will have to find where the heavy downloads come from - it will probably be more sites than Youtube, and could include P2P. You may also have to block specific ports as well.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Your problem is definitely not facebook or messenger programs. These sites/programs use tiny amounts of data so don't bother trying to block them.

It is highly likely not youtube - unless you have multiple computers all running 18hrs per day continuously on youtube.

Almost certainly they are P2P programs, or filesharing, downloading from bittorrent or limewire (and almost certainly it is to download movies, tv shows or music which they haven't paid for - in other words, stealing, and you risk a knock on the door from the "copyright police" or a warning from exetel).

Have a look at the computers, see if they have limewire, utorrent, azureus or bit torrent installed. Or see if there are any .torrent files on the computers. Or some mp3s or movies in a "downloaded files" or "received files" folder. Or simply ask the kids and explain about the wrongness of illegal downloading / stealing.

Some will argue that it is no different to how you recorded from the radio "back in the day" onto blank cassettes. Others will argue that it is different. I won't get into that debate (tho I lean towards the former as long as you're not then uploading/sharing).

Speaking of which, are your uploads also similarly high? If yes then you almost certainly have a sharing program being used. If not, then they still may be so the lack of large uploads doesn't rule it out.

Personally I use around 40Gb per month, as I watch/download a lot of LEGAL IPTV (video and audio podcasts) so it is quite possible.

Maybe they can schedule their downloads to run during your offpeak times (say 1am-noon - exetel do request that schedulers don't all kick in on the dot of midnight!). Most download programs have a scheduler.

exetel1

Post by exetel1 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 am

On my cousins modem/router D-link 624T I used the IP filter option basically there are 15 filters u can allow or disallow IP address's

used filter 14 & 15 to disallow the whole internet range and filters 1 to 13 to allow certain sites, problem you have to use IP adress's, so you need to use a site like this to find out the URL's IP address, http://www.urgentclick.com/ip_address_lookup.php

problem solved as my cousins kids went ballistic movie streaming when i upgraded there slow expensive telstra 256/64 k adsl1 to faster cheaper Exetel adsl1 1500/256 k speed but prepaid, they usually did 2gig a month average with telstra but with exetel they managed 3.6gig in 4 days lolz ,

whole point i set my cousins on prepaid adsl1 with exetel was to speed up there internet and hopefully save them some money at the same time but the rate the kids were downloading it was going to end up more expensive then telstra adsl1

there is also on the D-link 624T called parent control feature which allow you to dis-allow actual URL's, but with my cousins kids just dis allowing a few URL's wasn't going to solve the problem as there are to many streaming sites out there, why I went with IP filtering instead to block the whole internet

but the best modem/router I've come across for parent control is the dlink-320 its parent control when activated blocks the whole internet automatically and then you can list what sites are allowed in URL form

hoped that helped cheerz ed :)

karLos

Post by karLos » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 am

if these kids are out of control online, then try monitoring their usage yourselves. the internet is not a babysitter.