Usage meter seemingly out

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
ajarm1

Re: Usage meter seemingly out

Post by ajarm1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:01 pm

I also am having issues with being blocked, but they still hadn't been fixed before I left - had to come to parents-in-law's place to log in to find out what's going on.

digitone

Post by digitone » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Im getting the same redirected page but in my case it won't unblock, it just keeps telling me my phone numbers incorrect or not blocked :evil:
really starting to piss me off. Has taken exetel over 7 weeks to have my adsl connection fixed here at home, and I finaly get it fixed on wednesday so yesterday I brought home the server from work todo some work on the public holiday and now my f'ing internet isn't working a all

p.s. hurry up and reply to my email about a refund on the last 2 months I've paid for but have been unable to use.
Last edited by Gidget on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I have deleted your totally unacceptable language in this post. Frustration is no excuse for such a juvenile resort to foul language.

terrox

Post by terrox » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm

I got Usage block as well.

This was also a major hassle because i don't have LLC enabled (which is the default for my Billion modem I think) and the net was just dead, no block page, no warnings, nothing worked. I couldn't work it out for ages and had no VOIP to phone support.

I was at 95% peak and 29% offpeak of my limits according to the Usage Block page, once I enabled LLC. It would NOT unblock me, it kept saying "Incorrect Number or not in Block List" - which I guess means "WAIT 10 minutes" - which is what it should say in the error for people like me who clicked it once and think maybe it isn't in the process of unblocking.

beamertwo

Post by beamertwo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Same problem here - the usage meters indicate that my downloads are well within the limits, but I was still blocked. It appears to me that the trigger for the blocking has been incorrectly set at 5.4GB instead of 54GB.

brick

Post by brick » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 pm

danbyau wrote:Yep had the same problem but hadnt checked my usage meter as I thought there has to be a problem with my internet and beleived the Blocked screen. By that blocked screen it says that you havent come close to exceeding the limits anyway and mine was the same.

I put in a fault ticket and havent heard back from them.

I guess its fixed now created a bit of worry when I was locked out of the internet.
Having the same problem, I put in a fault ticket this morning, but still blocked...very frustrating I (I don`t mind being blocked when I`m at fault). I hope its resolved soon (today)/

Berty

Post by Berty » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Same here, out since this morning. Lucky I've HSPA, but it is frustrating as the VOIP is out.

Gob

Post by Gob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Mine was blocked also. I did not get any block page or anything at first, as it turns out because I had my IP address set in to my modem and to get the exetel message it needs to be set to Auto (or Dynamic). Exetel change your IP address to display this bogus and I gather any messages. REAL GOOD GOING EXETEL, VERY CLEVER. NOT....

NOTE. EXETEL this is dumb way to do the page notices. please fix. Why not try a Redirect on the assigned IP address. Not change the user IP. I should be able to set Fixed IP to my modem and still know I'm going to get any messages you may decide to post in error or otherwise.

When I set the IP to auto I got a similar message as others and after submitting I also got the same error responses. But interestingly on my page I did no get any readout of my actual usage. I would just about guess this has something to do with me using Firefox as opposed to IE. Again great design work guys.

To fix my problem I had rang support on 1300 788 141, option 2.
The guy cleared the block, but as it turns out not completely.
For my own reasons I wanted to change my IP address. But when I go to this page I get a poorly formatted page the simply saying the because I was usage block I could not do it.
Note. I have just tried again going to this IP change page and now it's working correctly.

Another thing that is stupid is that I rang support for this issue, lodged a Auto Fault ticket (Option 1), 15-20 minutes later I get a response saying the ticket is now closed as we can see you online. Yes my connection was supposedly online but there was NO IP address registered. Another thing exetel should look into. As the questions already asked if I had Line sync etc, which I responded yes too.
This auto system needs to look at the actual ping responses, data transferring, or something, as certainly in this case there can not have been any. I am increasingly finding this auto support feature useless, as this is not the first time I have had to use it and not once has it been of any use to the issue at hand.

brick

Post by brick » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:34 pm

brick wrote:
danbyau wrote:Yep had the same problem but hadnt checked my usage meter as I thought there has to be a problem with my internet and beleived the Blocked screen. By that blocked screen it says that you havent come close to exceeding the limits anyway and mine was the same.

I put in a fault ticket and havent heard back from them.

I guess its fixed now created a bit of worry when I was locked out of the internet.
Having the same problem, I put in a fault ticket this morning, but still blocked...very frustrating I (I don`t mind being blocked when I`m at fault). I hope its resolved soon (today)/

All good now...thats a relief !

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Gob wrote:Mine was blocked also. I did not get any block page or anything at first, as it turns out because I had my IP address set in to my modem and to get the exetel message it needs to be set to Auto (or Dynamic). Exetel change your IP address to display this bogus and I gather any messages. REAL GOOD GOING EXETEL, VERY CLEVER. NOT....

NOTE. EXETEL this is dumb way to do the page notices. please fix. Why not try a Redirect on the assigned IP address. Not change the user IP. I should be able to set Fixed IP to my modem and still know I'm going to get any messages you may decide to post in error or otherwise.
Friendly advice for you Gob: try not to say things that later make you look like a fool.

Exetel assigns users dynamic IP address, not static IP addresses. It is YOUR fault that you set your router to a static IP, not Exetel's.
Gob wrote:When I set the IP to auto I got a similar message as others and after submitting I also got the same error responses. But interestingly on my page I did no get any readout of my actual usage. I would just about guess this has something to do with me using Firefox as opposed to IE. Again great design work guys.
Again, a presumptious and incorrect assumption on your part Gob. What seems to be happening is that the first part of the usage.php HTML is not being outputted (very likely due to the usage meter being taken offline and the issue resolved) but the current usage block pages looks the same in Firefox and IE
Gob wrote:For my own reasons I wanted to change my IP address. But when I go to this page I get a poorly formatted page the simply saying the because I was usage block I could not do it.
Note. I have just tried again going to this IP change page and now it's working correctly.
This will simply be a matter of timing. The usage block database probably updates hourly or something
Gob wrote:Another thing that is stupid is that I rang support for this issue, lodged a Auto Fault ticket (Option 1), 15-20 minutes later I get a response saying the ticket is now closed as we can see you online. Yes my connection was supposedly online but there was NO IP address registered. Another thing exetel should look into. As the questions already asked if I had Line sync etc, which I responded yes too.
This auto system needs to look at the actual ping responses, data transferring, or something, as certainly in this case there can not have been any. I am increasingly finding this auto support feature useless, as this is not the first time I have had to use it and not once has it been of any use to the issue at hand.
Unsure of specifics in your case, but a "No Sync" fault is different to a "No connectivity" fault. The phone system faults are usually reserved for "no sync" faults, hence this is what Option 1 might be (but I am not 100% sure of this).

Gob

Post by Gob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:38 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Gob wrote:Mine was blocked also. I did not get any block page or anything at first, as it turns out because I had my IP address set in to my modem and to get the exetel message it needs to be set to Auto (or Dynamic). Exetel change your IP address to display this bogus and I gather any messages. REAL GOOD GOING EXETEL, VERY CLEVER. NOT....

Friendly advice for you Gob: try not to say things that later make you look like a fool.

Exetel assigns users dynamic IP address, not static IP addresses. It is YOUR fault that you set your router to a static IP, not Exetel's.
For your Information Exetel does not assign Dynamic they are STATIC. You get your facts correct before criticising.
QUOTE for Exetel's own plan page "A permanent IP address (with the ability to change it if you wish to do so at any time)"
CoreyPlover wrote:
Gob wrote:When I set the IP to auto I got a similar message as others and after submitting I also got the same error responses. But interestingly on my page I did no get any readout of my actual usage. I would just about guess this has something to do with me using Firefox as opposed to IE. Again great design work guys.
Again, a presumptious and incorrect assumption on your part Gob. What seems to be happening is that the first part of the usage.php HTML is not being outputted (very likely due to the usage meter being taken offline and the issue resolved) but the current usage block pages looks the same in Firefox and IE
Yes it was a presumption as the statement says, and if I am wrong, Good. I apologise for any misunderstanding.
CoreyPlover wrote:
Gob wrote:For my own reasons I wanted to change my IP address. But when I go to this page I get a poorly formatted page the simply saying the because I was usage block I could not do it.
This will simply be a matter of timing. The usage block database probably updates hourly or something
And this is my fault?? Or I'm supposed to know this. How? Now you are presuming. Actually you know nothing about it. That is a stupid comment from every aspect.
CoreyPlover wrote:
Gob wrote:Another thing that is stupid is that I rang support for this issue, lodged a Auto Fault ticket (Option 1), 15-20 minutes later I get a response saying the ticket is now closed as we can see you online. Yes my connection was supposedly online but there was NO IP address registered. Another thing exetel should look into. As the questions already asked if I had Line sync etc, which I responded yes too.
Unsure of specifics in your case, but a "No Sync" fault is different to a "No connectivity" fault. The phone system faults are usually reserved for "no sync" faults, hence this is what Option 1 might be (but I am not 100% sure of this).
Again, you clearly having little to no knowledge of the systems so quite simply, shutup. If it was for "no sync" only, why is one of the questions asking if you have sync and it then carries on to the next question etc or even takes the fault ticket.

terrox

Post by terrox » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Gob wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:
Again, you clearly having little to no knowledge of the systems so quite simply, shutup. If it was for "no sync" only, why is one of the questions asking if you have sync and it then carries on to the next question etc or even takes the fault ticket.
I faced this issue as well. It caused me to log two faults because I thought there must be a better option relevant to my problem - being Blocked Usage page which is not going away, or if you don't have LLC enabled and are blocked or static IP (block pages don't load so you can't tell what's wrong but it shows you're online, ).

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Gob wrote:For your Information Exetel does not assign Dynamic they are STATIC. You get your facts correct before criticising. QUOTE for Exetel's own plan page "A permanent IP address (with the ability to change it if you wish to do so at any time)"
Yes, but the static IP is allocated dynamically - you are just served the same IP dynamically each time you connect. You should not be putting your WAN IP (the Exetel static IP) in your modem, you must set your modem to receive a dynamic IP or you will experience the difficulties you did (amongst other issues).

As for parts of your other comments in response to Corey's post, please refrain from being rude not only to a fellow customer, but a Forum admin. Treating others as you would like to be treated (i.e. with respect) is an old adage, but worth living by.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

rx213b

Post by rx213b » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:12 pm

In reply to all the people lodging tickets for this, you can tell by your router/modem's WAN IP address whether you are blocked or not still.
For me it seemed like it was 10.x.x.x if it was blocked and 58.x.x.x if it was not

I just kept resetting my router until it cleared, which in my case was about 45 minutes. It will reset eventually on its own but will depend on your connection timeout I presume.
Funnily enough, when it first happened my DSL connection status was stuck on 'invalid IPCP connection' (or similar).

This has happened to me a few times before and it hasn't cleared immediately, I would put in a suggestion for the throttling to have a dynamic way of displaying the block instead of it booting your modem off into a different subnet. This seems to cause some issues.

Gob

Post by Gob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Gidget wrote:
Gob wrote:For your Information Exetel does not assign Dynamic they are STATIC. You get your facts correct before criticising. QUOTE for Exetel's own plan page "A permanent IP address (with the ability to change it if you wish to do so at any time)"
Yes, but the static IP is allocated dynamically - you are just served the same IP dynamically each time you connect. You should not be putting your WAN IP (the Exetel static IP) in your modem, you must set your modem to receive a dynamic IP or you will experience the difficulties you did (amongst other issues).
This may or may not be correct, but either case it is irrelevant. I require a static IP for business purposes and Always had one regardless of ISP.
Setting a Static IP in the modem ensures simpler connection each time the modem is rebooted. In much the same way setting up a computer. If you set everything to auto it takes longer to load and sometimes the settings change causing untold other problems when and if the system even starts.
The FACT IS that what has been but in place for these pages is a stupid way of doing it. I am not the only one that sets the IP in to a modem and there is NOTHING anywhere except your comment now, on the setup instructions or anywhere else that I have come across, about NOT setting the IP as fixed and it's not something I should have to just find by chance at some point.
Gidget wrote:As for parts of your other comments in response to Corey's post, please refrain from being rude not only to a fellow customer, but a Forum admin. Treating others as you would like to be treated (i.e. with respect) is an old adage, but worth living by.

Gidget
I am happy at any time to have a conversation with anyone that knows what they are talking about. I just don't suffer fools easily! Nor people that talk for the sake of talking. :?

GitarStu

Post by GitarStu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm having this same problem!

data_down=18234.48 MB (24Gb allowance)
free_data_down=35857.80 MB (54Gb allowance)

Pretty damn annoying! I'm glad I have a secondary ADSL connection here.

Logging a ticket now, but I'm not imagining that it will be looked at until Monday now.