Usage meter again

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
xln747

Usage meter again

Post by xln747 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Folks, I had problems last month with usage showing 2 days of mega download. One day, in about an hour, I had 4Gb downloaded according to the meter (and I have been charged for this as I went into excess). I opened a ticket but, after initial contact, it seems to have fallen through the cracks.

Because of this I have been watching my usage like a hawk. I checked at lunch time today to see 7% downloaded (about 400Mb) which was fine. Now I get home to find 20% downloaded (1.2Gb) but with a download showing for Wednesday 6/5/09 of 871 Mb. Can this be right ? Retrospective usage being allocated ?

Anybody have any thoughts ?

I have logged another ticket but I'm not holding my breath.

Starting to get very disappointed with service provision here especially as I was advised by the provision team that they are unable to tell me what websites were visited to give such large downloads last month.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Usage meter again

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Do you use a wireless router? If you do, is it secured? If not, turn off or WPA secure the wireless, as you may have a freeloader on board.
Second, particularly if you use Windows, are you infected, and is it necessary to leave the computer running while you are absent?
Third, are you running a server?

Sorry for all the questions, but these things need checking.
There are lots of ways of recording websites visited, but you will have to post your operating system for sensible comment.

xln747

Post by xln747 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:35 pm

I have WPA encryption enabled and I change my passwords every few days because that was what the support people blamed last time. My router shows no connections except my own PCs. What I am complaining about this time is the retrospective adjustments that appear to have been made.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat May 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Also, which modem do you have? Some modems have stats on total bytes sent up and received down which you could compare.

You may also want to change the password on your Exetel service because it is possible to login with your credentials from another location, and any downloads from there are counted to your quota.

With your previous ticket, what was the initial response and did you reply to it to force the ticket to remain open? Post the ticket numbers and I'll try to have them chased up and responded to.

xln747

Post by xln747 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Coreyplover, thanks for responding. I will change the password asap. I will see if I can get the original ticket numbers for you. The modem/router doesn't seem to have stats on usage its a Linksys WAG200G. I would dearly love to know how this is happening.

Thanks again

xln747

Post by xln747 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi CoreyPlover, The initial ticket was 1250420 which was responded to by support to say the usage was correct and that it must have been my wireless not secure (even though WPA encryption was in place). The second ticket was 1251311 and was responded to by asking if I could advise when I disconnected my connection and they would check into usage. I disconnected during peak period for the rest of the month by physically pulling out the phone plug from the router and advised support of this. The only response I got from that ticket otherwise was after I asked if I could get a list of sites from whence downloads had occurred so that I could check for myself what was happening. This request was met with a firm NO, saying that this info wasn't available.

I have now changed my ADSL access password.

I was also wondering if I should change my static IP address and see if that has an effect.

Thanks in advance

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat May 09, 2009 10:21 pm

xln747 wrote:I was also wondering if I should change my static IP address and see if that has an effect.
There is no need to change your IP address.

Regarding those tickets, it would seem from your post that both of those ones you lodged have been followed up and answered. Log files of an individual's download patterns would be both unethical for ISPs to retain and give out as well as infeasible due to the sheer volume of data created.

Retrospective allocation sometimes occurs, so that aspect of your issue isn't overly concerning. But the fact that you can't attribute all the stated quota usage to your computer is concerning. I guess you can continue to monitor now that you have changed your Exetel account (and modem) password. If you want a rudimentary download meter, you can use Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Networking, View, Select Columns, Bytes sent & Bytes received. This will then tally total bytes sent and received by your network card while Task Manager is open (you can minimise it to the system tray).

xln747

Post by xln747 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:43 pm

The retrospective bit is the bit I don't like at this point. My normal daily usage is about 60 Mb and then suddenly I get hit with 871 Mb and it occurs 2 days later. I think it is worrying, I'm not a big download person and certainly not trying to rort the system but this looks very dubious to me.

I know you say it can occur, but I guess I'm asking why.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I think maybe I will never know the complete answer.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat May 09, 2009 10:54 pm

If it happens again (i.e. large usage that you are positive was not initiated by your network due to monitoring of bandwidth via Task Manager or something like Netlimiter 2 Monitor) with changes to your WPA wireless password *and* Exetel account password then I think Exetel might be forced to reexamine your case in more detail